Sign in with
Your question

Your Opinions on Thermaltake Graphic Card power supply

Last response: in Components
April 18, 2007 5:10:11 PM

So I'm looking through newegg and I stumbled on this awhile back and it looks pretty interesting. I currently have a 700w PSU and I dont think I'll have any problems running a 8800 or maybe even 2 from what I've been hearing but I dont think I'm enough of a gamer to get 2. But... Hypothetically if I decided to do 2 and I felt that my PSU was not sufficient would one of these be able to support a 8800?

Pro/Cons? Your Opinions Please.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 18, 2007 5:29:55 PM

Your TT psu would even run 2 GTX in SLI no problem.
April 18, 2007 5:47:49 PM

Unless you have a lot more hardware that you list, your 700wt should be fine with even two 8800 GTX's. As to the psu you list, I don't think its all that good for the money. Another thing is that many new video cards are using 8 pin connectors and it only supplies 6 pin connectors.
Related resources
April 18, 2007 6:55:39 PM

I have the 700w PSU, I have 6 HD's 1 DVD and Two 8800's in SLI and have no problems.
April 18, 2007 11:42:30 PM

Hmm.. Interesting... That puts my mind to ease.

Other than what I've listed I'm running 2 DVD Burners but thats really about it.
April 18, 2007 11:56:14 PM

Could you link me to www.newegg.com this new graphic cards?

Exactly...
April 19, 2007 1:40:42 AM

Quote:
Could you link me to www.newegg.com this new graphic cards?

Exactly...

?
April 19, 2007 1:59:47 AM

I wasn't replying to you.

The guy up there said
Quote:
Another thing is that many new video cards are using 8 pin connectors and it only supplies 6 pin connectors.

Right now there are no graphic cards on the market that utilize the 8pin power connector let alone many high end power supplies that have them. The only card even rumored is the new R600. No specs are final so the fact that that psu only has 6 pin power connectors is in no fault at all. Try looking at newegg.com for all the psu's that even come with the new 8pin.
April 19, 2007 4:19:52 AM

I was out of the house for a few hours, so didn't see your reply. I have read of a few people complaining that they needed 8 pin connectors for their 8800 GTX cards, so assumed that the need was there, in addition to the rumors that the R600 will be using a 8 pin connector. I appear to be mistaken about the 8800 GTX, so can only apologize there, but the new PCIe 2.0 standard is for a 8 pin connector and so I believe it is safe to say that such connectors will be coming in the future. EnforcerFX listed two that are available now.

All that said, I still think the 700 wt psu that the OP has is plenty for the hardware he presently has and the specialized Thermaltake 250 psu that he asked about is not worth its cost.
April 19, 2007 2:50:23 PM

Yes 8 pin may be the future, but i can guarantee that no one is going to buy a 1000W psu just to get an 8 pin connector. Its typical that you will see ultra high end products come out with new revisions like that. But of course no graphic card even needs them or has them yet and with news saying that ATi will only be releasing there 2900XT and not the XTX could mean that it will only require a 6 pin power connection rather than the *rumored* 8 pin power connection.

All i was saying is that it was listed as a con that this psu only comes with 6 pin connectors when of course 6 pin is the standard for 99% of the psu's out there and 100% of the graphic cards. And of course there will be adapters.

And why does it even matter when the op's psu is more that sufficient right. :wink:

Oh and the 8 pin on the silverstone doesn't provide anymore power it just has another ground.
Quote:
Something else to note: The extra two pins are both grounds. I was lead to believe that the extra wires would be a ground and a +12V Sense, but the wire is black and I traced it back to the PSU's PCB and found that it is in fact a ground.

1kW Shootout: Turbo-Cool vs. Silverstone Olympia
April 19, 2007 2:56:36 PM

I wasn't meaning to make this a matter of contention, only to point out the lack of the connectors in the new psu. It matters only if that is what a person is looking for, as well as the fact that this power supply is advertized as having its main purpose of powering the newest video cards. Since it is new and has the express purpose of powering video cards, I think it should support the new PCIe 2.0 standard without adapters, though it is good that the adapters are provided. But that's only my opinion and others are free to their's.

As to the link you provided, that only seems to support my original contention that the OP does not need any more power than his 700wt psu already supplies. So unless I'm missing something in its purpose, I don't see its relevance.
April 19, 2007 3:13:35 PM

Quote:

And why does it even matter when the op's psu is more that sufficient right. :wink:

I agree, and I think the OP acknowledged that he realizes that he doesn't need more power than what he already has. There isn't any need for him to get the extra psu for his graphics card(s).

I think we've gotten sidetracked on the 8 pin vs 6 pin option and forgotten his original question, and I for one would just as soon let that go.
April 19, 2007 4:20:23 PM

Quote:

As to the link you provided, that only seems to support my original contention that the OP does not need any more power than his 700wt psu already supplies. So unless I'm missing something in its purpose, I don't see its relevance.

If you read my 1st post, I say exactly the same as you. A 700W TT is more than enough to plug 2x8800GTX. That link was just to emphasize your/my words.

Further I was just trying to say that the 8pin cable isn't to much of a big deal, since (i think) the cards come with an adapter. ( I already red your opinion about it :wink: )
April 19, 2007 4:51:51 PM

Ok, now I understand.
!