How remove unwanted items from Systray?

Using XP Home Edition, I have Windows Messenger and Quicktime showing up in
the systray. I think this means that they are initiated when I boot up and
are using some measure of system resources. Is that accurate? I would like
to ensure they are started only when needed and would like to remove from the
systray. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.
--
JimH
4 answers Last reply

    Both programs have options to start when Windows starts. Open them and try
    preferences or options and turn it off.

    "JimH" <JimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Using XP Home Edition, I have Windows Messenger and Quicktime showing up
    > in
    > the systray. I think this means that they are initiated when I boot up
    > and
    > are using some measure of system resources. Is that accurate? I would
    > like
    > to ensure they are started only when needed and would like to remove from
    > the
    > systray. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.
    > --
    > JimH

    Quoting from this article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

    Start Windows Messenger.
    On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Preferences
    tab.
    Click to clear the Run this program when Windows starts check
    box, and then click OK.

    If you use Outlook Express or Outlook 2002, Windows Messenger may
    start automatically every time that you run Outlook Express or
    Outlook. To prevent Windows Messenger from starting
    automatically, follow these steps:

    Outlook Express:
    On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.
    Click to clear the Automatically log on to Windows Messenger
    check box, and then click OK.
    On the View menu, click Layout, make sure that Contacts is
    unchecked.

    Outlook 2002:
    On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.
    Click to clear the Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook
    check box, and then click OK.

    For QuickTime, right click on the icon and select "QuickTime
    preferences".
    Select "Browser Plug-in" from the drop down menu.
    Uncheck "QuickTime system tray icon".
    Next, open the registry editor by going to Start -> Run regedit.
    Navigate to this key:

    Look for "QuickTime Task" listed in the right hand pane.
    Right click on it and select delete.

    The best way to prevent programs from loading at startup is to
    run the program and look for Options or Preferences listed
    somewhere within the toolbar menus. You may find a setting that
    will let you disable the autostart feature. You can also delete
    the registry entries found in the following locations:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    You also might want to check in the Start Menu -> All Programs ->
    Startup

    --
    Nepatsfan

    JimH wrote:
    > Using XP Home Edition, I have Windows Messenger and Quicktime showing up in
    > the systray. I think this means that they are initiated when I boot up and
    > are using some measure of system resources. Is that accurate? I would like
    > to ensure they are started only when needed and would like to remove from the
    > systray. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

    In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

    Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
    Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
    system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    inline...

    "JimH" <JimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Using XP Home Edition, I have Windows Messenger and Quicktime showing up
    > in
    > the systray. I think this means that they are initiated when I boot up
    > and
    > are using some measure of system resources. Is that accurate?
    correct

    > I would like
    > to ensure they are started only when needed and would like to remove from
    > the
    > systray. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.
    > --
    > JimH

    Then you have to stop them from starting when the system boots up.
    There are several programs around that help you do that.
    One of them being MSCONFIG (on your system) but that does not give you the
    measure of control that I would personally prefer, and that you usually get
    with other products.
    Check out http://www.windowsstartup.com/ for Windows Startup Inspector.

    george

Windows XP