How remove unwanted items from Systray?

jimh

Using XP Home Edition, I have Windows Messenger and Quicktime showing up in
the systray. I think this means that they are initiated when I boot up and
are using some measure of system resources. Is that accurate? I would like
to ensure they are started only when needed and would like to remove from the
systray. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.
--
JimH

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Both programs have options to start when Windows starts. Open them and try
preferences or options and turn it off.

"JimH" <JimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using XP Home Edition, I have Windows Messenger and Quicktime showing up
> in
> the systray. I think this means that they are initiated when I boot up
> and
> are using some measure of system resources. Is that accurate? I would
> like
> to ensure they are started only when needed and would like to remove from
> the
> systray. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.
> --
> JimH

Quoting from this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

Start Windows Messenger.
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Preferences
tab.
Click to clear the Run this program when Windows starts check
box, and then click OK.

If you use Outlook Express or Outlook 2002, Windows Messenger may
start automatically every time that you run Outlook Express or
Outlook. To prevent Windows Messenger from starting
automatically, follow these steps:

Outlook Express:
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.
Click to clear the Automatically log on to Windows Messenger
check box, and then click OK.
On the View menu, click Layout, make sure that Contacts is
unchecked.

Outlook 2002:
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.
Click to clear the Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook
check box, and then click OK.

For QuickTime, right click on the icon and select "QuickTime
preferences".
Select "Browser Plug-in" from the drop down menu.
Uncheck "QuickTime system tray icon".
Next, open the registry editor by going to Start -> Run regedit.
Navigate to this key:

Look for "QuickTime Task" listed in the right hand pane.
Right click on it and select delete.

The best way to prevent programs from loading at startup is to
run the program and look for Options or Preferences listed
somewhere within the toolbar menus. You may find a setting that
will let you disable the autostart feature. You can also delete
the registry entries found in the following locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

You also might want to check in the Start Menu -> All Programs ->
Startup

--
Nepatsfan

JimH wrote:
> Using XP Home Edition, I have Windows Messenger and Quicktime showing up in
> the systray. I think this means that they are initiated when I boot up and
> are using some measure of system resources. Is that accurate? I would like
> to ensure they are started only when needed and would like to remove from the
> systray. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

inline...

"JimH" <JimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using XP Home Edition, I have Windows Messenger and Quicktime showing up
> in
> the systray. I think this means that they are initiated when I boot up
> and
> are using some measure of system resources. Is that accurate?
correct

> I would like
> to ensure they are started only when needed and would like to remove from
> the
> systray. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.
> --
> JimH

Then you have to stop them from starting when the system boots up.
There are several programs around that help you do that.
One of them being MSCONFIG (on your system) but that does not give you the
measure of control that I would personally prefer, and that you usually get
with other products.
Check out http://www.windowsstartup.com/ for Windows Startup Inspector.

george