Sign in with
Your question

HELP!!! Windows 7 Black screen cursor!!!

Last response: in Windows 7
July 28, 2011 8:42:40 AM

Hello,

I woke up this morning and restarted my computer. When it restarted all I got was a black screen with a cursor. I've tried safe mode, and normal mode. I've tried startup repair which goes to a "windows file are loading" screen then once its fully loaded goes back to a black screen with a cursor. I've put in the install disk, and boot from it. It does the exact same thing as the repair start up. Which eventually just leads me back to a black screen with a cursor!! What can I do? Nothing is working!!
July 28, 2011 9:29:28 AM

Are you able to open up task manager? If yes, open it, go to processes and close explorer.exe if it's running. After that go to applications, hit new task and enter explorer.exe, that should fix the problem for a while. I've had this problem before and found a fix for it, I'll look for it and see if I can find it.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 28, 2011 11:25:42 AM

Alundblade said:
Hello,

I woke up this morning and restarted my computer. When it restarted all I got was a black screen with a cursor. I've tried safe mode, and normal mode. I've tried startup repair which goes to a "windows file are loading" screen then once its fully loaded goes back to a black screen with a cursor. I've put in the install disk, and boot from it. It does the exact same thing as the repair start up. Which eventually just leads me back to a black screen with a cursor!! What can I do? Nothing is working!!

System specs? Operating system? More information please.
m
l
August 4, 2011 9:31:24 AM

Well thanks for the reply guys, I downloaded Hiren's Boot CD and used the Toshiba Hard drive wizard. Turns out when the laptop was dropped the other day it must have scratched the hard drive discs with the reading arm because their were 290 bad sectors on the hard. I tried repairing but with no avail. We ended up just buying a new laptop as manually taking out the hard drive would void the warranty and I wouldn't know where to start anyway. The laptop still has 93 days on the warranty.. I hope they will accept it if the hard drive was scratched.
m
l
August 14, 2011 5:26:57 AM

Best answer selected by alundblade.
m
l
October 15, 2013 9:27:39 PM

After allowing Windows updates which I had turned off I had this problem for several hours could not get anywhere. Even had a system repair disk but it always went back to a black screen with cursor. I couldn't get anywhere with f8 .. No safe mode selection screen ..tried to change bios to boot from cd drive.. Just always went to black screen.. Cursor.. Then after powering off and on over 50 times I'll bet .. I got the safe mode screen in f8 I even think I hit f7 f8 a few times then it started giving me the repair system recovery screen and I couldn't believe it, it was working again. It is really smart to not give up, I got so many different error messages I was sure the hard drive died. ( I couldn't even do a full hdd recovery in f12, just went to black screen w/ cursor) glad that didn't happen because I would have lost everything.needless to say I went right in and set windows updates to "never" . Right or wrong they just cause the laptop problems.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2013 9:34:22 PM

Report moderator to close the thread as OP's issue is resolved.
m
l
!