Newegg has G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM on sale today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
Timings:
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 5
Timing 5-5-5-15
Voltage 1.8V - 2.0V

I am wondering, aside from the huge price difference, how the G.Skill RAM would compare in gaming from this Corsair RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145165
Timings:
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 3
Timing 3-4-3-9
Voltage 2.4V

Would you notice a big difference, assuming that the CPU / GPU were not bottlenecking the system?

rahvyn13

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
I realize that there would be more bandwidth, but I'm looking more at gaming performance, and the difference that bandwidth would make.

wimcle

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
at pc2-6400 your looking at 1fps for going cas5-> and 1 more for cas4->3

At the same price, go for the lower latency,if the price isnt the same...

Plus the lower latency ram doesn't always guarantee a higher max speed.

anandtech has some charts comparing ram speeds/latency with games

metrazol

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
at pc2-6400 your looking at 1fps for going cas5-> and 1 more for cas4->3

At the same price, go for the lower latency,if the price isnt the same...

Plus the lower latency ram doesn't always guarantee a higher max speed.

anandtech has some charts comparing ram speeds/latency with games

Agreed. I read something at extremetech along the same lines. Lowest latency vs. highest latency made at best a 5% (give or take) difference under certain circumstances. That for nearly double the cost.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Usually lower latency means a better shot at overclocking. In terms of game performance, agree w/ what others have said... pretty much nil game performance.

The corsair is pricey cuz its touting CAS 3, which is quite good for DDR2 800. The caveat there is that it says 2.4V, whereas the gskill can run its specified timings at 1.8-2V

rahvyn13

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it. I wasnt planning an overclock on this system, just trying to make it able to run upcoming games for the next year or two. So no need then to go with a monster RAM.

chuck4456

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Buying CORSAIR these days is like bobbing for apples. You don't know what you have until it's there. Could be anybody's chip. G.SKILL HZ is MICRON. Get that. I wouldn't kick a bull in the axx for a truck load of CORSAIR right now.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Buying CORSAIR these days is like bobbing for apples. You don't know what you have until it's there. Could be anybody's chip. G.SKILL HZ is MICRON. Get that. I wouldn't kick a bull in the axx for a truck load of CORSAIR right now.
LOL....you are becoming repetitious:

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/15012.aspx

It's cute but you are still wrong.

He isn't wrong, he's referring to the frequency with which the PC6400 (and dominator) chips are changing, and their deteriorating quality.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
[/quote]He isn't wrong, he's referring to the frequency with which the PC6400 (and dominator) chips are changing, and their deteriorating quality.[/quote] Perhaps wrong is the wrong term here. First, the Dominator 6400 is a VERY high volume part. We use different ICs based on availabilty so that we can meet demand. They ALL have our lifetime warranty and meet or exceed spec. There is no deterioration here.

So, this is inaccurate on your part and the other guys. Perhaps you should read the links and entire threads before chiming in.

As far as Micron goes, ALL Dominator from the PC8500 speed grade up use exclusively Micron ICs. The PC6400C3 also uses Micron exclusively. Based on my posts and links, you can easily see this. None of your replies are useful to the OP here and really only amount to thread crapping.

rahvyn13

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Thanks for that link Jay2tall, that looks like a decent buy. Better comparison agains Corsair. I have nothing agains Corsair, using 2x512 modules of it right now and have never had any issues with it. Its just time to upgrade, so looking for a pair of 1Gb modules. Close call on the comparisons.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
He isn't wrong, he's referring to the frequency with which the PC6400 (and dominator) chips are changing, and their deteriorating quality.[/quote] Perhaps wrong is the wrong term here. First, the Dominator 6400 is a VERY high volume part. We use different ICs based on availabilty so that we can meet demand. They ALL have our lifetime warranty and meet or exceed spec. There is no deterioration here.

So, this is inaccurate on your part and the other guys. Perhaps you should read the links and entire threads before chiming in.

As far as Micron goes, ALL Dominator from the PC8500 speed grade up use exclusively Micron ICs. The PC6400C3 also uses Micron exclusively. Based on my posts and links, you can easily see this. None of your replies are useful to the OP here and really only amount to thread crapping.[/quote]

I think you have misunderstood his bobbing for apples analogy. I think he meant that there are that many revisions of PC6400 now that you can't be assured of getting a particular chip, after all most etailers etc don't tell you which revision you are buying.

With regards to deteriorating chip quality, those used in both the dominator and xms PC6400 are not as good quality as the Microns used in the first revisions. Yes they will run at the advertised spec, but try OCing them and it's a different story. As the OP didn't mention overclocking however, and as you work for Corsair, I can understand why you might take issue with this. Let's not forget Corsair's excellent warranty, service and compatibility of modules here.

Chuck4456's reply should be useful to the original poster, because he is directing him to better quality RAM.

Thanks for that link Jay2tall, that looks like a decent buy. Better comparison agains Corsair. I have nothing agains Corsair, using 2x512 modules of it right now and have never had any issues with it. Its just time to upgrade, so looking for a pair of 1Gb modules. Close call on the comparisons.

You pay a premium for memory that runs top of the game. I've used the g.skill memory in the last 2 builds i did for people and its worked out great. I personally have Crucial Ballistix PC6400 however it was $280 but had a $100 mail in rebate. It runs well but that was 6 months ago and memory wasn't as cheap as it is now. I'd get that G.skill if I were to build now, its a good price for a good product. Even the Newegg reviews say so.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
He isn't wrong, he's referring to the frequency with which the PC6400 (and dominator) chips are changing, and their deteriorating quality. Perhaps wrong is the wrong term here. First, the Dominator 6400 is a VERY high volume part. We use different ICs based on availabilty so that we can meet demand. They ALL have our lifetime warranty and meet or exceed spec. There is no deterioration here.

As far as Micron goes, ALL Dominator from the PC8500 speed grade up use exclusively Micron ICs. The PC6400C3 also uses Micron exclusively. Based on my posts and links, you can easily see this. None of your replies are useful to the OP here and really only amount to thread crapping.[/quote]

I think you have misunderstood his bobbing for apples analogy. I think he meant that there are that many revisions of PC6400 now that you can't be assured of getting a particular chip, after all most etailers etc don't tell you which revision you are buying.

With regards to deteriorating chip quality, those used in both the dominator and xms PC6400 are not as good quality as the Microns used in the first revisions. Yes they will run at the advertised spec, but try OCing them and it's a different story. As the OP didn't mention overclocking however, and as you work for Corsair, I can understand why you might take issue with this. Let's not forget Corsair's excellent warranty, service and compatibility of modules here.

Chuck4456's reply should be useful to the original poster, because he is directing him to better quality RAM.[/quote] No, actually he's not and the reply is worthless. Gskill and Corsair both make memory using Micron and non-Micron ICs. And, the OP got good advice here and from people that are not trolling forums and badgering Corsair customers.

But, that's not even really the point here. The analogy and the insult are a virtual cut n paste from another post at another site. This is not really advice, it's thread crapping. And, I suspect Chuck is a big boy. If he feels a need to justify his insult then let him do it.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
No, actually he's not and the reply is worthless. Gskill and Corsair both make memory using Micron and non-Micron ICs. And, the OP got good advice here and from people that are not trolling forums and badgering Corsair customers.

But, that's not even really the point here. The analogy and the insult are a virtual cut n paste from another post at another site. This is not really advice, it's thread crapping. And, I suspect Chuck is a big boy. If he feels a need to justify his insult then let him do it.

Okay, you continue your battle between yourselves. I shall take the good advice bit of his post and make it my own.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Although you're right yellowbeard, his post was nothing to do with what was asked.

To the OP:

Cas latency doesn't make much difference. Spend the money you'd save on other parts of your system, for gaming: GFX card then CPU.

rahvyn13

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Thanks all for the advice. And thanks to all for you patience with those that are "noobs" in some PC aspects. Its a breath of fresh air to find people who take the time to actually try and help out.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks all for the advice. And thanks to all for you patience with those that are "noobs" in some PC aspects. Its a breath of fresh air to find people who take the time to actually try and help out.
We were all noobs once. Good luck with whatever brand of memory you choose.

chuck4456

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
all that I was trying to do. CORSAIR has been a big let down in that one department. It was an analogy. CORSAIR's got lots of great stuff. I just didn't want to the kid end up with a handfull of s**t.
I'm not thread crapping. Don't think that I am. It was coincedence that I was reading some PC28000 reviews via GOOGLE and ran across this forum. I had to register to read the review and ended up here. I normally don't repeat myself. I am really sorry if my stopping in managed to stir it up. I'm guilty about surfing forums about once a week, and throwing in my two cents. There are only two main forums that I frequent normally. I've used CORSAIR, CRUCIAL, OCZ, G.SKILL, KINGSTON - INFINEON-MICRON-ELPIDA-PROMOS - the list can go on. They ALL have their moments.
Once again, my apologies for being repetitive, and my apologies for upsetting the apple cart!