Odd repetative problem

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Hey all.

So I'm sure the answer to this question is a based on the fact that I made some bone-head mistake while putting my rig together but I thought I'd ask how to fix it, instead of just dealing with it any longer.

The problem is that every other time I turn on my computer my DVD drive (1 of 2 drives - the DVD is slaved) isn't found. However, if I restart or hard shut down and turn back on, suddenly the drive is found. I'm hoping that this is a simple fix :p

Thanks.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
If the slave/master jumpers aren't set right, would that cause this sort of problem?

PS - no virtual drives and the bios are fine... when it detects both it shows both and when it only finds one the bios mirror that.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
yeah i mean if you have 2 devices on the same IDE channel, you gotta make sure that not both of them are set to master or both of them set to slave, one can only be master, and one can only be slave, or both can be on cable select
if they're on different channels then it's not that much of a concern, pretty weird tho

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
yeah, thats the odd thing. Both drives were set to cable select. However, I went in and set one as a master and the other as a slave and the problem STILL remained. I can't figure out what the f is wrong.