Is this a new Intel HSF design?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
It looks more like a CoolerMaster Hyper L3.
:?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103001
Check it out. They both have the little holographic sticker on the fan.

Great find. I thought it looked familiar, but I didn't have time to go through all the HSFs at newegg to see if it was indeed an aftermarket unit. Yep, I would agree that it's the Coolermaster. I guess Intel doesn't have an updated HSF after all. :lol:

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Yes, they will have to ship a new HSF as the "old" one is in the limit with the near 3Ghz QX and X6800. At 3.3 Penryns will run hot no matter what.

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
The AMD heatsinks were really good at what they did. Especially the higher end AM2 and FX cpu's that included heatsinks.
Intel pretty much packages a standard heatsink that does what its supposed to, keep the cpu from frying.

I second that. AMD's K8 heatsinks do work pretty well, even the old-school aluminum-brick one like on my socket 939 X2 4200+. It's pretty quiet and my chip never got above 45 C running at full load. I've not had as good of luck with stock Intel heatsinks. The heatsink on my parent's P4 1.8 Willy doesn't work very well and the chip is usually in the 50s. A dual Irwindale Xeon unit with the 1150 g copper heatsinks works pretty well as the chips stay under 50 but those suckers are L-O-U-D. Intel would not do badly to go with the Cooler Master heatsink in the future.

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
the dissipation area matters as well + noise. ive found with one build the stock coolers fan doesnnt even need to run at full speed when you start up+ its quite quiet. i do hope intel does go with everyone else in this heat piping matter. love to see new ones for the higher end procs as well as different ones for lower end because right now, all they doing is shipping built up inventory from the pentium ds.