Lsass.exe eating system resources on startup.

csbassplayer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Ive read a million topics on this but almost all of them deal with OBVIOUS solutions to the problem. Well I've already updated my OS (newest security patches, service packs, etc...), Antivirus,adware removal...etc... and for about 30mins after a restart, the lsass.exe system process eats all my cpu power. Once its done my system runs like a charm, but those 30min restarts are a waste of time. It is really starting to annoy me. No this is not a virus (according to AVG, McAfee, etc...) problem, or an Adware (spybot,adaware) problem. It is the legitimate system process eating my resources and i have no clue what to do about it. Any suggestions on a fix?

Athlon XP2500
1.5 Corsair XMS
Seagate SATA 80gig HD
Radeon x850 Pro 256

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Search your computer for that file. The internet tells me that it's only supposed to be located in the System32 folder and if anywhere else, it's malicious.

Although that is a normal windows file, there are virus' that run under that name.

csbassplayer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I am aware of that, however this is NOT a virus, it is the correct spelling of the process, in the correct file location. It just eats a boatload of my system resources for a while. The actual virus makes your system crash after 60 seconds of use. THIS IS NOT A VIRUS.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
lsass is the local authentication and security module, anything requires passing of credentials and authorization has to go through lsass

so either something keeps hitting the box for authentication and craps out or there's something running on there and keeps requesting for something from lsass

you may want to turn on security auditing from gpedit.msc and check your security logs on eventvwr.msc or on the contrary if you find out that all auditing is enabled, this can cause it to spike too, so you should just turn it all off to save CPU

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Regardless of what you think, it still may be a Sasser worm infection.

Nothing to lose by implementing the removal process. Google "Sasser" to get the skinny on it.