Your question

Removing heatsink i need help

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Heatsinks
Last response: in Motherboards
April 18, 2007 8:05:29 PM

well i got this motherboard and may of ran into a problem
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

well i ordered a 8800gts and it should be here tomorrow and i relized the south bridge heatsink seems to be rite under the pcie slot. so im worrying that the 8800 will hit that and not go into the pcie slot all the way. so i figured if it dont fit i can remove heat sink and cut some of the fins a few mm until it fits.so would that work and how do i get the heatsink off??

More about : removing heatsink

April 18, 2007 8:31:05 PM

You may have to remove the mobo from the case to get it off. It has the push pin style mounting; you can try to just pulling on it, or remove it from the case flip it over to the back and squeeze the little do-dads on the pins and pushing them through.

Wait until you have the 8800 before taking it off, it may clear the top of it.
April 18, 2007 9:25:32 PM

yea if i fits i wont change it but just incase it dont i wanted to know how to take it off. i dont really wanna remove mobo from case tho
Related resources
April 19, 2007 1:11:10 PM

You can likely take the heatsink off without removing the mobo by just pulling on the push pins, but you will probably damage the pins.
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2007 1:51:56 PM

Quote:
well i got this motherboard and may of ran into a problem
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

well i ordered a 8800gts and it should be here tomorrow and i relized the south bridge heatsink seems to be rite under the pcie slot. so im worrying that the 8800 will hit that and not go into the pcie slot all the way. so i figured if it dont fit i can remove heat sink and cut some of the fins a few mm until it fits.so would that work and how do i get the heatsink off??
Your video card should fit just fine. Notice the capacitors next to the heatsink? If the card hits the fins, it will also hit the caps. Don't worry about it.
!