Anandtech pwns THG (again)

mpjesse

Splendid
The fact that intel allowed Anandtech to do its own benches on Penryn, but not THG, speaks volumes about the current respect THG has. What a magnificent crash this place has taken.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
The fact that intel allowed Anandtech to do its own benches on Penryn, but not THG, speaks volumes about the current respect THG has. What a magnificent crash this place has taken.

Was this post necessary...to bash THG further?

Personally, I think Newegg should nab some people from Anandtech, THG (older people) and other places on the web and start their own hardware review site. They can test certain products, box them back up and sell them open box. I don't think any other hardware review site could really compare with the volume of material reviewers and testers would have there, not to mention it would probably (most definitely) boost sales at Newegg itself.

If anyone at Newegg reads this and thinks it's a good idea...I've got more, and humbly, oh-so-humbly, submit my services as editor. :)

edit - Of course, highly OCed and otherwise abused processors would be available for resale, but then many of these things get donated to hardware review sites anyway to generate buzz. I'm sure the same would go for Newegg.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Was this post necessary...to bash THG further?

Personally, I think Newegg should nab some people from Anandtech, THG (older people) and other places on the web and start their own hardware review site. They can test certain products, box them back up and sell them open box. I don't think any other hardware review site could really compare with the volume of material reviewers and testers would have there, not to mention it would probably (most definitely) boost sales at Newegg itself.

If anyone at Newegg reads this and thinks it's a good idea...I've got more, and humbly, oh-so-humbly, submit my services as editor. :)

edit - Of course, highly OCed and otherwise abused processors would be available for resale, but then many of these things get donated to hardware review sites anyway to generate buzz. I'm sure the same would go for Newegg.Interesting idea. I just wonder how objective they would be, in recommending cheaper products over more expensive(higher profit) ones? :?

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I check on Tomshardware every few days and always find a decent news article on what interests me. All this griping has probably fueled an increase in these articles to a degree, but at this point, enoughs enough. The site's great, the new design is fine, and the forumz are as good as they've ever been.

metrazol

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
I check on Tomshardware every few days and always find a decent news article on what interests me. All this griping has probably fueled an increase in these articles to a degree, but at this point, enoughs enough. The site's great, the new design is fine, and the forumz are as good as they've ever been.

Earth days?

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
I think the acronym THG is broken. It should be TACE for "Tom's Auto and Consumer Electronics".

And yes, there is a point to continued griping. This site has lost touch with it's roots. It has become a second-tier reference for computer hardware news and analysis. Since the "griping" has been going on for a few months now, at this point some people are getting annoyed with it. However, I'm still holding out hope that someone will take notice and bring back the quality we once had.

I don't mind the articles on autos or CE either, I can skip things if I don't want to read them. The point is that we now have one fewer voice of authority on bleeding-edge computer hardware.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006

Earth days?

Every 2-3 24 hour days I check the site, and there's always something new and interesting to read.

http://www.tomshardware.com/ is the site in the Tom's Hardware ring that I visit, pretty much the only site for tech news, besides the forumz.

I have no idea where all this talk about planes, trains, and automobiles are coming from, but it's annoying as heck when I haven't seen anything of the sort.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
edit: The fact that intel didn't allowed THG to do its own benches on Penryn, speaks volumes about the current respect THG has.

What a magnificent crash this place has taken.
Yes, including the forumz.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Actually, if you look today, the headlines on TCAS are mostly about computers. This is the first time I've noticed this in a long time. Then again, this is a pretty big week for computers: financial reports, Penryn, mid-range nVidia DX10, as well as new Catalyst drivers.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any best-in-class coverage of the aforementioned topics... okay the 8600 review was good. I still like THG for video cards, though I'm not in the market for any.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
edit: The fact that intel didn't allowed THG to do its own benches on Penryn, speaks volumes about the current respect THG has.

What a magnificent crash this place has taken.
Yes, including the forumz.

There are a few people who's posts are worth reading, and I'll keep coming back for that.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
THG was probably at a car show. :D :D

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Although your point is well taken, it was rumored sometime ago that Anadtech was a bit of an Intel PR front (in a sense, not literally) vs. what used to be proudly declared as Tom's neutrality (particularly in the times of AMD's dominance which are of course long gone). Which could serve as a potential explanation for the discrepancy in treatment, if true.

But Tom's should definitely try harder.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
THG hasn't really been keeping up with the times, but I give them the benefit of the doubt since I thought they were just sold. The negotiations leading up to the sale and the transition will no doubt be distracting.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Yea, hopefully the new management will take the site in a direction more suited to enthusiasts, who AFAIK are the only people that read the site anyway.

Who is the new management - Ladies Home Journal? :) If so, I expect to see a lot of articles on crocheting doilies for desktops..

I recall visiting Tom's many years ago when Thomas Pabst actually wrote (or at least bylined) articles, in a sort of Germlish. A recurring theme back then was how Intel conspired to ignore him so he had to resort to sneaking new ES cpus or chipset mobos from undisclosed NDA sources or maybe disgruntled Intel employees in order to test. I build a Cyrix 686 system with an "Ocean" brand mobo, which I still have and still works, but using a Pentium 150, based on reading various Toms articles. Seems like Tom needs to come out of retirement, or quaffing Blue Ribbons :), and start sneaking test samples again. Shame to see the site go downhill like this..

Forumz are still good for getting info on builds however.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
THG was probably at a car show. :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Checking out the new hands free cell phone accesories