Sign in with
Your question

Can we finally put a fork in AMD

Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2007 8:32:28 PM

with then PENRYN numbers just leaked

can we just say AMD is dead....

move onto helping boost VIA and the new number 2..

I mean its obvious there is no way AMD 's k10 will be able to compete

we have no numbers on k10.... but its just not possible

More about : finally put fork amd

April 18, 2007 8:39:45 PM

Can we stick a fork in Baron yet?

He's missing ... 8O
April 18, 2007 8:39:50 PM

I don't think anyone should be writing AMD out of the performance game. Quite likely that Barcelona could beat these scores (clock for clock).

The main areas of concern should be power consumption & price. With Penryn being 45nm, it will have a distinct advantage.
Related resources
April 18, 2007 8:44:18 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone should be writing AMD out of the performance game. Quite likely that Barcelona could beat these scores (clock for clock).

The main areas of concern should be power consumption & price. With Penryn being 45nm, it will have a distinct advantage.

clock for clock AMD can't clock a barcelona beyond 2.5ghz yet. So what does clock for clock matter? Personally I don't care it my processor is 8ghz or 1ghz, just that it cost X and can do Y.
April 18, 2007 8:53:51 PM

C'mon, I'm trying to give AMD the benefit of the doubt here. :wink: It's possible that release steppings will allow them to ramp higher.

I am, of course, basing this on the fact that the Barcelona Powerpoint slides load much quicker than the Penryn ones. :p 

Kidding aside, I think that the "native" size at 65nm is just going to be too costly - especially for the desktop variants.
April 18, 2007 9:18:13 PM

Quote:

Too early to stick the fork in AMD although I would dig through the drawer and find it and get the boning knife sharpened up as well. There is going to be some corporate trimming to do.

We get Q1 numbers tomorrow and Barcy on Monday. So I would say wait until Monday at which point we know if it's time to bring out the turkey carving instruments.
April 18, 2007 10:00:08 PM

Quote:

wth is this? why would you "boost" VIA into AMD's current position? that makes no sense to me. if you want to do some "boost"ing so bad, wouldn't it make more sense to do it on AMD's side, because they are close to competing with intel, unlike VIA? ugh.
April 18, 2007 10:01:21 PM

Quote:

Can you just stop posting useless AMD IS DEAD scenarios.. Find something interesting like.............get a life. OK Thx.
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
April 18, 2007 10:11:33 PM

Yes, this is the end of AMD. In fact all offices and fabs will implode upon themselves, sink down into the core of the Earth and form a gravitational singularity that rip apart the Earth and consume everything, including your beloved VIA. So much for the processor wars.

Now that I have your question, you can stop posting meaningless threads such as this one.
April 18, 2007 10:20:14 PM

Quote:

Can you just stop posting useless AMD IS DEAD scenarios.. Find something interesting like.............get a life. OK Thx.

u sound like a bitter AMD FANBOI
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2007 10:24:19 PM

Since when did Lordpope switch to Intel?
April 18, 2007 10:25:11 PM

Why are so many people all gung ho over even the slightest possibility that AMD could be run out of the CPU business? They've had their ups and downs just like Intel, and they've brought great products to everyone from your average email granny to enthousiasts alike.

Penryn looks like it'll kick ass. Now the rational thing to hope for is for Barcelona to kick even more ass. That'll raise the bar for the next chip from either side, and before you know it we'll all have neural interfaces into a Jupiter brain 8).
April 18, 2007 10:26:48 PM

I think he sounds more like a "fanboi" of you stopping the posting of useless threads...
April 18, 2007 10:31:17 PM

Quote:

Sounds like alot of people that are just fed up with the fanboy BS that fills a large ammount of the sites posts....none of which are a benifit to anyone except a small number of people who get an ego boost from such posts.
April 18, 2007 10:31:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is the end of AMD. In fact all offices and fabs will implode upon themselves, sink down into the core of the Earth and form a gravitational singularity that rip apart the Earth and consume everything, including your beloved VIA. So much for the processor wars.

Now that I have your question, you can stop posting meaningless threads such as this one.

I am not 100% happy with your tone right now
April 18, 2007 10:33:12 PM

Quote:

I think he was hoping no one would notice 8)
April 18, 2007 10:37:22 PM

He's quite annoying isn't he?
April 18, 2007 10:38:32 PM

Quote:

I think he was hoping no one would notice 8)

I am a VIA FANBOI

havent u learned that yet

the C8 is coming

and u will bown down
April 18, 2007 10:39:03 PM

Quote:

and how do you know this?? do you work for amd? if not, then you are retarded to assume so. this is based on nothing but "OMFG INTEL RULZZ!!11!! DEHEHEHE!!!!!11" you intel guys always make fun of us amd guys saying that we have the inferior product...that may be true right now with the core 2 duo's being the performance and oc kings, buy you intel guys are FU#$^%& RETARDED!
April 18, 2007 10:47:04 PM

Quote:

and how do you know this?? do you work for amd? if not, then you are retarded to assume so. this is based on nothing but "OMFG INTEL RULZZ!!11!! DEHEHEHE!!!!!11" you intel guys always make fun of us amd guys saying that we have the inferior product...that may be true right now with the core 2 duo's being the performance and oc kings, buy you intel guys are FU#$^%& RETARDED!

again..... you sound like another emotional poster
April 18, 2007 10:50:15 PM

Quote:
I think he sounds more like a "fanboi" of you stopping the posting of useless threads...

when u get above 300 posts then u can talk
April 18, 2007 10:51:19 PM

Quote:
you intel guys always make fun of us amd guys saying that we have the inferior product...that may be true right now with the core 2 duo's being the performance and oc kings, buy you intel guys are FU#$^%& RETARDED!

Up to a few weeks ago he was an AMD guy. Hopefully you won't be following in his footsteps. :p 
April 18, 2007 10:53:21 PM

Quote:
you intel guys always make fun of us amd guys saying that we have the inferior product...that may be true right now with the core 2 duo's being the performance and oc kings, buy you intel guys are FU#$^%& RETARDED!

Up to a few weeks ago he was an AMD guy. Hopefully you won't be following in his footsteps. :p 

you know its an honor that every one claims to know what i am ....and not just here... all over the web

its amazing how many people READ toms forums all over

If you become KNOWN in these forums... you are known all over the tech space of the web...

i have reached an ICON status.... so many will follow in my steps
April 18, 2007 10:54:20 PM

The only reason you have that many posts is you post senseless dribble. I guarantee you I am about 15 million times more intelligent than you, boy. Until you can post usefully, you can't talk.

It's going to be a while :twisted: :lol: 
April 18, 2007 10:55:33 PM

I heard VIA cancelled the C8 so it could instead "focus more of our resources on our new C-4 explosives Fab." They've decided to take the market through good ol' fashioned overwhelming firepower. I hear they make people swear to only purchase low power embedded devices on pain of death, and have stricken numbers higher than 2 GHz from some languages already.
April 18, 2007 11:19:49 PM

Quote:

No. I sound like someone who is fed up with your stupidity. Like most of the peeps here. And it's YOU who sounds like an Intel FANBOI who, finally, after many years of disappointments in their corner, is overjoyed at a little payback. Now go away, or better yet, someone ban him.

And FYI

Giga 965P-S3\E6300. There goes you asinine assumption out the window. FOOL!
April 18, 2007 11:20:30 PM

can we just stick a fork in lordpope and end his FUDtaculisitc posts that seems to run rampant around here.
April 18, 2007 11:21:39 PM

Quote:

And what will you say if K10 beats Penryn?

Shall we get out a knife, fork, and bar-b-que sauce for some over done Intel?
April 18, 2007 11:31:30 PM

So after AMD slaughtered Intel in almost all areas for what, 4 or 5 years with the Athlon64, I don't recall anyone predicting Intel's demise then, but now that Intel has the upper hand AMD is suddenly doomed? Just because AMD is smaller doesn't mean they're helpless, they will counter with something better, then Intel will, this cycle has gone on for years in the CPU as well as the GPU market, what part of that don't you understand pope?

Quote:

What the hell are you smoking? How can you make such a baseless statement and not expect to look like an ass..."I have no data on the subject but AMD has no hope blah blah blah"
April 18, 2007 11:32:40 PM

Quote:

Yeah, and you are SOOOO much more mature and make your point (at least, I assume you had one..) without resorting to emotional outburst and swearing. I, personally, don't consider MYSELF to be either AMD or INTEL, regardless of what's in my system. I don't have my EGO and SELF-IMAGE tied to the damn thing.. It's a TOOL/TOY, not a validation of my entire LIFE.

Grow up, and get a life. Really.
April 18, 2007 11:41:01 PM

Quote:

Can we put a fork in you yet? For posting with the sole purpose of generating hostility and conflict to amuse yourself instead of spreading or discussing news.
April 18, 2007 11:44:34 PM

4FUD!
April 18, 2007 11:46:30 PM

Quote:
4FUD!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
April 18, 2007 11:52:58 PM

Quote:

you know its an honor that every one claims to know what i am ....and not just here... all over the web

its amazing how many people READ toms forums all over

If you become KNOWN in these forums... you are known all over the tech space of the web...

i have reached an ICON status.... so many will follow in my steps

dude what the hell is this? do you really think that you're "somebody" just because you post here? how can you say that? i really don't understand. and i don't 100% like YOUR tone right there, do you honestly believe the pure shit that is seeping out of your mouth? this is incredible.

g'head. call me an "emotional poster." whatever. your post appears to me to be laced with egocentrism. * i guess you don't feel emotions *

ugh.
April 18, 2007 11:54:00 PM

Quote:

Wow...just wow. How can you say that? I think that Barcelona will be on the level clock-for-clock as the Penryn, if not faster. Remember, without AMD, then there will be NO competition, resulting in higher prices; therefore, you would have to choose between a new car, or a new computer. Wait...that's a bit too light. Between a used house, or a new computer...yeah that sounds right.

AMD will come back on top, and Intel will follow doing the same. That's competition, it has a lot of ups and downs. You can't be on top forever.
April 18, 2007 11:58:43 PM

It appears that lordpope is trolling after his weekly/bi-weekly/monthly bit of attention from everyone. Or is that flaming? Thread lock please!
April 19, 2007 12:09:52 AM

Quote:
Thread lock please!

Seconded
April 19, 2007 12:16:48 AM

3rd
April 19, 2007 12:30:50 AM

Every thread you start or post you make has the same result
April 19, 2007 12:38:37 AM

Quote:
I'm in the mood for FUD thats why i answered the op,
And when I read from this OP im in the mood for FUD.

:lol: 
4th :wink:

I cant beleive you did that
April 19, 2007 12:40:08 AM

Quote:
Quite likely that Barcelona could beat these scores (clock for clock)..

Assuming you are correct..

Barcelona = 2.5 ghz top bin.

Pre-production Penryn on prototype chipset 8 months from launch = 3.33 ghz.

Does this look even to you?
April 19, 2007 12:47:59 AM

Quote:
I'm in the mood for FUD thats why i answered the op,
And when I read from this OP im in the mood for FUD.

:lol: 
4th :wink:

I cant beleive you did that

It was the other guy 8O the hippey flowerchild dewd 8O I cant seem to stop him from joking in an obscure manner. 8O

Hmmmm.

I prescribe 24 hours of viewing Chad Vader: Dayshift Manager
April 19, 2007 12:58:07 AM

Quote:
The only reason you have that many posts is you post senseless dribble. I guarantee you I am about 15 million times more intelligent than you, boy. Until you can post usefully, you can't talk.

It's going to be a while :twisted: :lol: 

That's a great way to show how intelligent you are.

"I'm about 15 million times more intelligent than you"

"You also have a smelly bum and look like a chicken"
April 19, 2007 1:08:53 AM

Quote:

I put my fork in them last November. 65nm just isn't AMD's forte. Watching AMD try to do 45nm w/HKMG may be like watching a Monkey try to throw poop at you through a plexiglass window.

All I hear the fanboys saying is "you're wrong because without AMD there will be no competition.". This is a valid point that has nothing to do with the argument about AMD's bleak futureless future. Nahelam will soon follow Penryn. AMD will still be trying to get a K10 to clock past 3.2 when it is released and crushes AMDs big press release of being able to reach 45nm by 2010.

Face it, this is why fights are stopped in boxing.
April 19, 2007 1:18:25 AM

:lol:  Your a joke .... Right!?!?!?
April 19, 2007 1:21:42 AM

I can tell you for a fact, the king will be significantly faster than all you people think 8O

If you ask me for a link ...
April 19, 2007 1:22:34 AM

Quote:
:lol:  Your a joke .... Right!?!?!?

Ding Ding Ding

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

We have a winner
April 19, 2007 1:27:18 AM

April 19, 2007 1:29:51 AM

Quote:

Oh, it belongs deeper than that

April 19, 2007 1:32:17 AM

Did Baron get banned? I am sure he could blow some life back into them...
!