Does Chipset Matter?

RangerX3X

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
I'm getting confused trying to use Intels website.

I want to get the following processor:

CPU

The Intel site says these are the chipsets:

Intel® 925X Chipset ,
Intel® 915P Express Chipset,
Intel® 915PL Express Chipset,
Intel® 915G Express Chipset,
Intel® 915GL Express Chipset,
Intel® 915GV Express Chipset,
Intel® E7230 Chipset

Intel Specs

However, when I go to the compatible boards link I end up with over a hundred choices for the "Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 600 sequence" of which many are not the chipsets on the data sheet as indicated above.

I wanted to use this MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard but its chipset is NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI which is not listed above.

:x

Questions:

1) Can any P4 LGA 775 cpu with a matching FSB speed go into any LGA 775 motherboard with a corresponding FSB?

2) If the North Bridge does matter, does the South Bridge?

3) Can I use the CPU above with Windows XP (CPU supports 64 bit & Vista) knowing the XP is 32 bit?

I am confused as hell and getting contradictory information from the web. Any relevant clarity provided would be greatly appreciated before I make a purchasing mistake.

Mondoman

Splendid
Your MSI MB uses a non-Intel chipset (nVidia in this case), so of course Intel won't list it along with its chipsets. The MB manufacturers (and vendors like newegg.com) normally list which classes of CPUs will work on a MB -- browse through newegg a bit and you'll get the hang of it.
However, I can't imagine that you will have any trouble running a Pentium 4 on a socket 775 board. What problems there are are usually with Core2Duo CPUs on MBs not designed for them, or power-hogs like the Pentium D 8x0 series.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
MJondo is correct on the chipset. And if you click on Specififcations Tab on the Newegg posting for that MB, it lists Pentium. Sounds like a good low budget setup, and it will run all flavors of XP and Vista

RangerX3X

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
The Intel site shows the memory for the processor as:

Dual Channel DDR2 400/533,
Dual Channel DDR2, DDR

But that the mobo has DDR 2 800.

Is this a case of the Intel site not being clear enough?

Also, the MSI site shows that the memory shoud be 1.8v DDR2 SDRAM DIMM .

So I would be limited to 1.8V RAM, correct?

angelkiller

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Just curious, why are you buying a new Pentium 4?? AMD's X2 3600 is pretty much the same price and twice as fast. (not to mention twice as cool)

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
DDR2 800 is the top speed the MB can run as it sits, it will run slower ram.

1.8V RAM is the standard defined by the group in charge of those things, all common RAM run that, the higher end stuff wants more juice and costs more

RangerX3X

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Just curious, why are you buying a new Pentium 4?? AMD's X2 3600 is pretty much the same price and twice as fast. (not to mention twice as cool)

I want the P4 because with that board I can upgrade later to a Core 2 Duo, etc. when I want. Never had anything against AMD, just never used them.

DDR2 800 is the top speed the MB can run as it sits, it will run slower ram. 1.8V RAM is the standard defined by the group in charge of those things, all common RAM run that, the higher end stuff wants more juice and costs more

But do I have to have slower RAM because the processor specs don't list DDR2 800? Or can I run DDR2 800 with that CPU because the mobo accepts it?

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Please don't buy a Pentium 4. PLEASE! Either buy an AMD Athlon 64 X2 for the same price, or pay about $70 more and buy a Core 2 Duo. The Pentium 4's are just NOT worth the cost, when better options are easily found.

RangerX3X

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Please don't buy a Pentium 4. PLEASE! Either buy an AMD Athlon 64 X2 for the same price, or pay about $70 more and buy a Core 2 Duo. The Pentium 4's are just NOT worth the cost, when better options are easily found.

I pretty much game 95% of the time on my computer, and I am building the system to run twin 8800GTX's in SLI.

I am probably completely wrong here, but I have read a lot where there are not many games that take full advantage of dual core processing yet, and a dual core processor will run a game not designed for dual core on a single core, which makes a 2.4GHz dual core actually less performing than a 3.4GHz single core.

Don't flame me for ingnorance, there is just a lot of conflicting information to deal with.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
See, you are right that some single core cpu's used to beat dual core cpu's in gaming tests. I specifically mean the Athlon FX- 57. Heck, that CPU can still give modern dual cores a run for their money in gaming tests. However, the new Core 2 architecture is much more efficient than older architectures. Due to this, the Core 2's can run the game faster. Look at this page. CPU Charts: X2 3800+ vs. Pent. 4 650 As you can see, the much lower clocked processor (X2 3800+) manages to stay ahead on framerate, due to its more efficient archtecture. The Core 2 architecture is even more efficient. In addition, the X2 3800+ should be at a similar price. Newegg X2 3800+ Its $83, and has free shipping. It will also have much better audio/video encoding time, if you ever decide to do so.

Please get an X2 or Core 2 Duo.....NOT the Pentium 4! :!:
(Too many have made this mistake already!)

Hope this helps. :D