Building first Computer... Suggestions?

ALF71BE

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
So, this is gonna be my first try on building a new computer... I'm just replacing the one i have, and, since i'm not a gamer nor multimedia fan, i'm just building a mid-low range computer, but that could be expanded in future.

Up to now, i just have selected de RAM and the processor, and i would like you all to say what ye think and which MoBo/PSU/GPU/HDD/Fans i need or that could be a fine option.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ socket AM2 (single core) Orleans 2.4 Ghz.
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 512 MB PC-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHZ x2 = 1.0 GB Kingston ValueRAM PC-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHZ for Dual Channel.

That's all. About the other componnents:

GPU: 256 MB, either Nvidia or ATI, GDDR2 or better, midrange graphic card for basic multimedia (movies and some Illustrator/Flash work) and basic games (uhhmmm... AOE III and maybe even Command and Conquer). If SLI/CROSSFIRE support, which one is better? SLI for having more time? Thus, Nvidia GPU for more compatibility?
MoBo: I was thinking in Asus/MSI with support for what i listed before, audio, LAN, IEEE 1394, PCI-E architecture, support for up to DDR2 800 Mhz and at least 4 gb of RAM, support for SATA, SATA II, UDMA 100/133 and ye know, all else that motherboards have. Chipset either Nvidia (if the GPU you recommended has SLI) or AMD/ATI (if GPU has CROSSFIRE). SLI/CROSSFIRE support, and maybe even RAID.
PSU: 500-600 W... I really don't know about brands, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fans: Again, little i know, so links and help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
HDD: 160 GB. I plan to expand and leave this one in future for Windows and basic programs, and then buy according to what i need. For now, just this one. Either Seagate or WD (i have been told WD HDD are more silent, any confirmmations?). SATA/SATAII, so at least 8 MB buffer.

Anything else that isn't here, either i already know what it is, i didn't knew it was needed/i didn't knew about it, or please post anything you may want to add.

The most expensive part would be the Motherboard.

Also, should i buy a sound card? Even although i'm not working with audio?

Thanks for any opinnions.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
sounds good, nice start, knowing what you need.

1. Either a x16xx or 76xx series card would fit the budget and your needs, look for $125 or so. SLI and Xfire use 2 cards, SLI in nVidia and Xfire is ATI. Either works but you won't need for long time, better to upgrade the one card until it is max'ed out then think about 2 cards.
2. Gigabyte makes some good inexpensive MB, let me find the model
GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI
3. FSP makes good PSU for under $50 This one has the most watts at this price.
FSP 400W
4. I would go with Seagate 7200.10. It is the newest technology and it is quiet.
Seagate 160GB SATA

No need for sound card, try the onboard sound then decide.

No mention of a case. All I can say is buy it local if possible. Newegg and many other charge $15 to ship

TRENDING THREADS