Urgent - Win XP Terminal Service (remote desktop connection)

unicorn

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I want to know is there any way to connecto to a system which have
win xp with terminar service by several computer,
I do this in win 2k A.Server by terminal service but in win xp when
I connect with 2 or more computer to xp just one user can stay connect
and other users cannot stay connect to xp

I have an program that just can run on win-xp with a hardware lock and
I want use terminar service but xp terminal service just support 1 user at
a time, I have xp sp1
what can I do?

Help Me Please :(

Kind Regards,
Farzad Hayati.

Quintin

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004

Yes there is a program its called PC anywhere by Symantec (the people who
made Norton).

My dad uses it in law

Hope that can help you

Cheers

Quintin
MVP wannabe

"Unicorn" <Cry@Sky.AiR> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to know is there any way to connecto to a system which have
> win xp with terminar service by several computer,
> I do this in win 2k A.Server by terminal service but in win xp when
> I connect with 2 or more computer to xp just one user can stay connect
> and other users cannot stay connect to xp
>
> I have an program that just can run on win-xp with a hardware lock and
> I want use terminar service but xp terminal service just support 1 user at
> a time, I have xp sp1
> what can I do?
>

> Help Me Please :(
>

> Kind Regards,
> Farzad Hayati.

Windows XP Professional supports only one Remote Desktop
session at the time.

Incidentally, after you have resolved this "urgent" issue, take
the time to set your computer clock properly. Either it is set
in the future, or else your time zone is wrong.

unicorn

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks For Your Note about my pc local time! yes, that was wrong and I set
it again but is there any 3rd party program from microsoft or other software
providers that support more than one connection on win xp?

It's so important for me!

Kind Regards,
Farzad Hayati.

> "Unicorn" <Cry@Sky.AiR> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to know is there any way to connecto to a system which have
>> win xp with terminar service by several computer,
>> I do this in win 2k A.Server by terminal service but in win xp when
>> I connect with 2 or more computer to xp just one user can stay
>> connect
>> and other users cannot stay connect to xp
>>
>> I have an program that just can run on win-xp with a hardware lock
>> and
>> I want use terminar service but xp terminal service just support 1
>> user at
>> a time, I have xp sp1
>> what can I do?
>>

>> Help Me Please :(
>>

>> Kind Regards,
>> Farzad Hayati.
>>

> Windows XP Professional supports only one Remote Desktop
> session at the time.
>
> Incidentally, after you have resolved this "urgent" issue, take
> the time to set your computer clock properly. Either it is set
> in the future, or else your time zone is wrong.

Why can't remote desktop log in one more user, I hear people say that
only
one user can only connect at one time. Is this true? If so, why would
Remote
Desktop help clearly state:

"Remote Desktop also allows more than one user to have active sessions
on a
single computer. This means that multiple users can leave their
applications
running and preserve the state of their Windows session even while
others
are logged on."

Taken from:
ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\rdesktop.chm::/rdesktop_overview.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You could use WinVNC. It allows one remote user to co-exist
with the local console session on any Windows PC.

> Thanks For Your Note about my pc local time! yes, that was wrong and I set
> it again but is there any 3rd party program from microsoft or other
software
> providers that support more than one connection on win xp?
>
> It's so important for me!
>

> Kind Regards,
> Farzad Hayati.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Unicorn" <Cry@Sky.AiR> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I want to know is there any way to connecto to a system which have
> > > win xp with terminar service by several computer,
> > > I do this in win 2k A.Server by terminal service but in win xp when
> > > I connect with 2 or more computer to xp just one user can stay connect
> > > and other users cannot stay connect to xp
> > >
> > > I have an program that just can run on win-xp with a hardware lock and
> > > I want use terminar service but xp terminal service just support 1
user
> at
> > > a time, I have xp sp1
> > > what can I do?
> > >

> > > Help Me Please :(
> > >

> > > Kind Regards,
> > > Farzad Hayati.
> > >

> > Windows XP Professional supports only one Remote Desktop
> > session at the time.
> >
> > Incidentally, after you have resolved this "urgent" issue, take
> > the time to set your computer clock properly. Either it is set
> > in the future, or else your time zone is wrong.

You have 3 options.

1)Either use win2000 or win2003 that has terminal services for more than 1
person.

2)use winconnect server XP from this site
http://www.thinsoftinc.com/products_winconserver_info.html

3) You must have Windows XP sp2 and patch it with this free fix:
http://www.sala.pri.ee/#termiserv
(of course this is not supported by microsoft)

The beta 2055 release of XP PRO SP2 let you run two or more sessions (one
local console and one or more remote desktop) concurrently. But this
functionality was removed in the Final release. This patch will enable two
or more concurrent sessions in Windows XP PRO Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later
if you have FAST USER SWITCHING enabled, and your windows is NOT in a
domain.

Uninstaller is also included and can be found at windows Control Panel ->
Add or Remove Programs.

see more info here

http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop?from=50&comments_per_page=50

Tell me if this helps...

"Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Unicorn" <Cry@Sky.AiR> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I want to know is there any way to connecto to a system which have
> >> win xp with terminar service by several computer,
> >> I do this in win 2k A.Server by terminal service but in win xp when
> >> I connect with 2 or more computer to xp just one user can stay
> >> connect
> >> and other users cannot stay connect to xp
> >>
> >> I have an program that just can run on win-xp with a hardware lock
> >> and
> >> I want use terminar service but xp terminal service just support 1
> >> user at
> >> a time, I have xp sp1
> >> what can I do?
> >>

> >> Help Me Please :(
> >>

> >> Kind Regards,
> >> Farzad Hayati.
> >>

> > Windows XP Professional supports only one Remote Desktop
> > session at the time.
> >
> > Incidentally, after you have resolved this "urgent" issue, take
> > the time to set your computer clock properly. Either it is set
> > in the future, or else your time zone is wrong.
> >

> Why can't remote desktop log in one more user, I hear people say that
> only
> one user can only connect at one time. Is this true? If so, why would
> Remote
> Desktop help clearly state:
>
> "Remote Desktop also allows more than one user to have active sessions
> on a
> single computer. This means that multiple users can leave their
> applications
> running and preserve the state of their Windows session even while
> others
> are logged on."
>
> Taken from:
> ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\rdesktop.chm::/rdesktop_overview.htm

Fair point. However, you will find that user switching is not available
for RDP users. When someone starts an RDP session then the console
screen will show the account list but nothing else. You then have two
choices at the console:

- Log on as the RDP user. If you do then you will terminate his RDP session.
- Log on as a different user. If you do then you will also terminate his
RDP session.

I recommend you give it a try to see for yourself!

bill

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Doesn't SP2 allow you to have 1 Locally logged on user and 1 remote user
using the PC at the same time? I read somewhere around the release time of
SP2 that this was true, but haven't really found anything stating this
since.

> "Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Unicorn" <Cry@Sky.AiR> wrote in message

>> > Windows XP Professional supports only one Remote Desktop
>> > session at the time.
>> >
>> > Incidentally, after you have resolved this "urgent" issue, take
>> > the time to set your computer clock properly. Either it is set
>> > in the future, or else your time zone is wrong.
>> >

>> Why can't remote desktop log in one more user, I hear people say that
>> only
>> one user can only connect at one time. Is this true? If so, why would
>> Remote
>> Desktop help clearly state:
>>
>> "Remote Desktop also allows more than one user to have active sessions
>> on a
>> single computer. This means that multiple users can leave their
>> applications
>> running and preserve the state of their Windows session even while
>> others
>> are logged on."
>>
>> Taken from:
>> ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\rdesktop.chm::/rdesktop_overview.htm
>>

> Fair point. However, you will find that user switching is not available
> for RDP users. When someone starts an RDP session then the console
> screen will show the account list but nothing else. You then have two
> choices at the console:
>
> - Log on as the RDP user. If you do then you will terminate his RDP
> session.
> - Log on as a different user. If you do then you will also terminate his
> RDP session.
>
> I recommend you give it a try to see for yourself!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am not aware of this and my tests do not support your suggestion.

"Bill" <acadeckiatinsightbbdotcom> wrote in message
> Doesn't SP2 allow you to have 1 Locally logged on user and 1 remote user
> using the PC at the same time? I read somewhere around the release time of
> SP2 that this was true, but haven't really found anything stating this
> since.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> >> Why can't remote desktop log in one more user, I hear people say that
> >> only
> >> one user can only connect at one time. Is this true? If so, why would
> >> Remote
> >> Desktop help clearly state:
> >>
> >> "Remote Desktop also allows more than one user to have active sessions
> >> on a
> >> single computer. This means that multiple users can leave their
> >> applications
> >> running and preserve the state of their Windows session even while
> >> others
> >> are logged on."
> >>
> >> Taken from:
> >> ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\rdesktop.chm::/rdesktop_overview.htm
> >>

> > Fair point. However, you will find that user switching is not available
> > for RDP users. When someone starts an RDP session then the console
> > screen will show the account list but nothing else. You then have two
> > choices at the console:
> >
> > - Log on as the RDP user. If you do then you will terminate his RDP
> > session.
> > - Log on as a different user. If you do then you will also terminate his
> > RDP session.
> >
> > I recommend you give it a try to see for yourself!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

read my post mvp....

>I am not aware of this and my tests do not support your suggestion.
>

> "Bill" <acadeckiatinsightbbdotcom> wrote in message
>> Doesn't SP2 allow you to have 1 Locally logged on user and 1 remote user
>> using the PC at the same time? I read somewhere around the release time
>> of
>> SP2 that this was true, but haven't really found anything stating this
>> since.
>>

>> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Derek" <anyone@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Fair point. However, you will find that user switching is not available
>> > for RDP users. When someone starts an RDP session then the console
>> > screen will show the account list but nothing else. You then have two
>> > choices at the console:
>> >
>> > - Log on as the RDP user. If you do then you will terminate his RDP
>> > session.
>> > - Log on as a different user. If you do then you will also terminate
>> > his
>> > RDP session.
>> >
>> > I recommend you give it a try to see for yourself!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I later did - thanks for the update. Very intriguing.

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> read my post mvp....
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >I am not aware of this and my tests do not support your suggestion.
> >

> > "Bill" <acadeckiatinsightbbdotcom> wrote in message
> >> Doesn't SP2 allow you to have 1 Locally logged on user and 1 remote
user
> >> using the PC at the same time? I read somewhere around the release time
> >> of
> >> SP2 that this was true, but haven't really found anything stating this
> >> since.
> >>

> >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello

> You have 3 options.
>
> 1)Either use win2000 or win2003 that has terminal services for more than 1
> person.
>
> 2)use winconnect server XP from this site
> http://www.thinsoftinc.com/products_winconserver_info.html
>
> 3) You must have Windows XP sp2 and patch it with this free fix:
> http://www.sala.pri.ee/#termiserv
> (of course this is not supported by microsoft)

There is another option:

4) Install Virtual PC or VMWare and install virtual machine
with XP. Than you can remotely connect to virtual machine
using another RDP port

Best regards, Roman