Help Connecting PSU to Motherboard

fleshie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Hi Guys,

I have a question about connecting my power supply to my motherboard.

Here's my setup:

Intel E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe
Seasonic S12 550W PSU

On my motherboard there's a 24-pin connector, which I have no problems with - there's only one of these things on my PSU, so I'm connecting that one big plug to that one connector.

However, there's this 8-pin EPS connector on the motherboard as well, which by default, has 4 of the pins covered up by some cap. Now my PSU has both a 4-pin 12V AUX connector as well as a 8-pin 12V EPS connector. Can somebody tell me which one am I supposed to connect up to the motherboard and why? Should I connect just the 4-pin 12V AUX, or remove the cap and plug in the 8-pin 12V EPS connector?

Thanks for any help.

fleshie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I will use the 8-pin then.

I also have another question while I'm at it...

I know a lot of software reads of the voltages are often inaccurate, but right now I'm getting these readings off the BIOS:

3.23V (fluctuates to 3.25V regularly) for 3.3V
4.95V (fluctuates to 4.97V regularly) for 5V
11.88 (fluctuates to 11.93V regularly) for the 12V

Are any of these readings a cause for concern? Are the fluctuations normal? And is 3.23V getting a little too low for the 3.3V?

Thanks for the help.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
The BIOS is just as inaccurate.

There is a sensor chip on the motherboard whiich the software and BIOS both read off. This is generally very innacurate (up ot +-0.6V off)

If u want an accurate reading, buy a cheap $9 multimeter at your electrnics store.

For the voltages, +/-5% of each rail is normal.

------

Unless your computer is crashing/locking up, or your bios/softeare say the voltages are at 3.6V, 11.2V or 7.3V or sumthing crazy, dw about it.

fleshie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks a lot for the help. After connecting the 8-pin instead of the 4-pin 12V, i'm getting weird vCore spikes and cpu temperature spikes, though I'm not sure if it's entirely related to my switching the connectors.

I've posted the message at:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=233289&highlight=
if anyone can offer any help at all.

Thanks a lot again.