newbie_w_freckles

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I saw a quote on one of the other forums from Sticky?? I think.

================
One word of advice, if you're planning on buying a new machine (notebook or desktop) from anyone other than a smaller, boutique/niche builder (that allows you lots of customization options), then you are going to get Vista as an OS in a few months ... whether you like it or not.
=====================
so.. if I buy a laptop now, I will not have a choice in 07 of whether I want to stay with XP? I must move to Vista?

I am a software troubleshooter/scripter jack of all problems for a small software company that produces robotic applications in VB6. we are SLOOOOWLY moving to .NET, but not until next year. My users (airlines), tend to be WAY behind the curve when it comes to tech.. I still have a latin american airline running Win 95!! And a few users are running an older version of our software in VB3.

Do I need to be concerend with problems if I buy a new laptop (which I SORELY need) and am forced to move to Vista?

Thanks much..

joan

G

No, you don't HAVE to move to Vista. Most new PCs are being sold with XP and an upgrade coupon for Vista. Some have free upgrades and others cost $$$ but you don't HAVE to upgrade to Vista.

Grumpy

purplemonkey

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004
also,even if your only option on a new machine is vista,you can still install xp. Most comopanies Ihave worked for have a corporate image which is applied to al new equipment as soon as it arrives. theonly downside is the cost of buying xp and vista licences, an not using the vista lic.

in reply to grumpy,I thinkthis xpinstall with free upgrade to vista will only last as long as vista is still comming,once here, most machines will be vista choice only. its the microsoft capitalist way..

p.s. sorry for typos this k/b issoo bad

mattthenewb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
But you must realize that, eventually, new systems will come with Vista pre-installed, standard. This express upgrade thing exists right now b/c its not out yet, but will be soon enough that the PC makers dont want ppl to hold off buying just for Vista lest they take a hit in holiday sales. I doubt that in 12 months youll see new systems sold w/XP. Think about it. How many new systems can you buy with Windows 98?

Doesnt mean you cant get XP on your own and install from scratch.