8800's brand

stanley85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
i'm considering to buy a 8800gts 320mb or 640mb.. which brand is recormended? actually i wanted to take msi but i saw many people said msi is a no no brand because there is always minor problem accour... here i only have option on msi, gigabyte, winfast, galaxy, asus, and colorful. hmm..any idea for which one to purchase?

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I have the EVGA 8800GTS-640 and I love it! their step up program provides a change path if needed and their warranty is unmatched. On the MSI front- MSI is the only vid card brand that has ever fried out on me so I as well do not recommend them for vid-
cheers

Travisty2012

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
I have the EVGA 8800GTS-640 and I love it! their step up program provides a change path if needed and their warranty is unmatched. On the MSI front- MSI is the only vid card brand that has ever fried out on me so I as well do not recommend them for vid-
cheers

Yeah, I was just going to say EVGA because they have the step-up program. If you aren't interested in that go with the cheapest or the one with a good bundle...

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
From your choices I've heard good things on Gigabyte. Asus also have a good reputation though they tend to cost more.

Basically the important things are the chip (which is the same on all of them) and the warranty policy - so check which gives you a better terms.

Factory OC is also nice though it can add 15$-20$

pimpinwilly

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
ive got a POV 8800gts... i had never heard of them before but it was really cheap. havent had any problems with it at all. it overclocks pretty well to.. i can overclock the core to 680mhz and dosent artifact in at all atitool. its watercooled tho.

Everyone has their own opinion on brands. Some have stock Overclocks to them as well which you will pay a little extra for if you arent comfortable doing it yourself. My personal thoughts are eVGA or XFX. I've had cards from these manufactures in the past and have never heard a problem from then out of my little gaming group. I've heard some good things about Foxconn as well. Just read the reviews on Newegg and compare prices and clock speeds.