Create Win XP Boot Disk?

Hi:

In Microsoft article Q314079 it tells how to create a boot disk for
Windows XP. It says to copy three (3) files and put them on a floppy. The
first file it says to copy is "Boot.ini". However, the only Boot.ini file
that I can find on my computer is a "Boot.ini backup" file, which is in the
Windows\pss folder. I have search for hidden files and folders option on.

Is the "Boot.ini backup" file the same as "Boot.ini" for the purpose of
creating this boot disk?

Thanks

The boot.ini file is a hidden protected operating system file. Open up the
folder options properties window and click View. You already know how to
view hidden files and folders now look at the list in the advanced setting
of the view menu and just below the show hidden files and folders you will
see another option marked 'hide protected operating system files
(recommended). remove the tick mark from the box on the left of this option.
You will recieve awarning message but just click OK.
Now open Windows explorer and click on My computer directory then click on
your C drive. You should now see the boot.ini file.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> In Microsoft article Q314079 it tells how to create a boot disk for
> Windows XP. It says to copy three (3) files and put them on a floppy. The
> first file it says to copy is "Boot.ini". However, the only Boot.ini file
> that I can find on my computer is a "Boot.ini backup" file, which is in
> the Windows\pss folder. I have search for hidden files and folders option
> on.
>
> Is the "Boot.ini backup" file the same as "Boot.ini" for the purpose of
> creating this boot disk?
>
> Thanks

Hi John:

Thanks a bunch....I like a man that knows the answers!

ColTom2

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> The boot.ini file is a hidden protected operating system file. Open up the
> folder options properties window and click View. You already know how to
> view hidden files and folders now look at the list in the advanced setting
> of the view menu and just below the show hidden files and folders you will
> see another option marked 'hide protected operating system files
> (recommended). remove the tick mark from the box on the left of this
> option. You will recieve awarning message but just click OK.
> Now open Windows explorer and click on My computer directory then click on
> your C drive. You should now see the boot.ini file.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>

> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@none.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> In Microsoft article Q314079 it tells how to create a boot disk for
>> Windows XP. It says to copy three (3) files and put them on a floppy. The
>> first file it says to copy is "Boot.ini". However, the only Boot.ini file
>> that I can find on my computer is a "Boot.ini backup" file, which is in
>> the Windows\pss folder. I have search for hidden files and folders option
>> on.
>>
>> Is the "Boot.ini backup" file the same as "Boot.ini" for the purpose of
>> creating this boot disk?
>>
>> Thanks

I try my best:)