Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Corrupted Windows System File

Last response: in Windows XP
December 5, 2006 4:51:34 AM

If there was a corrupted system file or it had been accidently deleted, would system restore replace this file (if you had a backup).

Is there a way to have the OS WinCD search for any of the above and replace these files?

Would you have to boot from the WinCD, or could it be done from within windows ie. while windows was running, insert the WinCD in DVD Drive and run from there?

What is the proceedure steps?

December 5, 2006 9:43:11 AM

You could try "sfc" from a command prompt or a Repair installation of XP but I don't think System Recovery will restore a corrupted system file.


P.S. I personaly believe System Restore was one of Microsoft's worst ideas (along with msconfig). They are completely misunderstood and misused.