Sign in with
Your question

Need opinions for a budget $600 gaming pc build.

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2007 1:20:31 AM

Hi this is my first time building a budget gaming pc and I would like some quick opinions on it. It's basically based on the $800 budget pc article but I changed the parts around to fit my budget. The main concern is about compatibility but I think the parts should get along fine.

Core 2 Duo E4300 $135

MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI $109

GeForce 7900GS 256MB $139 after rebate

Antec TRUEPOWER 2 430W $30 after rebate

G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800 $110

Case $30 after rebate

LITE-ON DVD RW $36 after rebate

And I'll just reuse the monitor, keyboard, mouse and hard drive from my old system.

Thanks.
April 19, 2007 4:35:41 AM

I highly doubt you'd need an SLI mobo. If not, consider the MSI Neo-F....much cheap, good basic, stable board.

Then spend that money saved and get a better PSU.
April 19, 2007 4:45:43 PM

I probably don't need to use the SLI for now but I think it'll save money on the long run when I can just get another 7900GS instead of replacing my old card.

I looked at the MSI Neo-F mobo but it got mixed reviews and I don't feel like risking my money on it.

Can anybody suggest me a good PCI-E Core 2 budget mobo?

For PSU I think I'll get a COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W for $59 or $39 after rebate.
Related resources
April 19, 2007 6:34:16 PM

Quote:
I probably don't need to use the SLI for now but I think it'll save money on the long run when I can just get another 7900GS instead of replacing my old card.
You will never do that. But there is nothing wrong with this motherboard.

Quote:
I looked at the MSI Neo-F mobo but it got mixed reviews and I don't feel like risking my money on it.
Any Intel board that starts BOXDP965...., Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, these run about $110. If you do this, switch your IDE DVD for an SATA model DVD.
I would actually do this rather than use the NVidia motherboard.

Quote:
For PSU I think I'll get a COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W for $59 or $39 after rebate.

Don't do this. Go with the great deal on the Antec, OR shell out for this:
FSP AX450-PN 450watt 12v:2x18a PSU 20+4pin $56+8 4/19/07
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Most power supplies cheaper than the FSP above are garbage. You lucked out on a decent Antec psu which is being phased out. I'd go for it. The fan-only molex headers (lower voltage-quiet) are an added plus...
April 19, 2007 7:27:59 PM

Quote:
You will never do that. But there is nothing wrong with this motherboard.

Quote:
Any Intel board that starts BOXDP965...., Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, these run about $110. If you do this, switch your IDE DVD for an SATA model DVD.
I would actually do this rather than use the NVidia motherboard.

Quote:

Don't do this. Go with the great deal on the Antec, OR shell out for this:
FSP AX450-PN 450watt 12v:2x18a PSU 20+4pin $56+8 4/19/07
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Most power supplies cheaper than the FSP above are garbage. You lucked out on a decent Antec psu which is being phased out. I'd go for it. The fan-only molex headers (lower voltage-quiet) are an added plus...

Agreed. Excellent post Newf. Read my mind on everything. :lol: 

If you want to overclock that E4300, add this to your list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Overall, A really nice budget computer when you factor in the parts Newf gave you.

Don't forget windows either. :wink:

Good luck. :D 
April 19, 2007 8:34:22 PM

Don't bother with the Zalman 9500. Not the best cooler, nor the best performer, nor the most quiet, nor the cheapest. I used to own one before I switched. There are much better options out there:

-Thermalright Ultra 120 (needs a 120mm fan)
-Noctua NH-U12F
-Thermaltake Big Typhoon
-Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (currently overpriced at most places)
-Tuniq Tower

All are either better performers and/or quieter and/or cheaper. Get something from that list and you'll have a winner.

Here's a review I did that includes the 9500, take a read and you'll see what I mean:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Cool-Quiet-HSF-...
!