Audio receiver questions

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 14, 2004 8:26:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.audio.equipment,alt.home-theater (More info?)

Maybe someone has some insight into where I should look in my continuing
search for a replacement for my old Pioneer audio receiver.

I run the analog audio out of my Sony HDTV set into the "TV/SAT" component
analog (R/L RCA cables) input. So, for analog surround audio, I tune the
receiver to "TV/SAT". But if we are watching a channel with digital audio,
such as any HDTV programming, we want the 5.1 digital audio that feeds out
of the TV set via an optical OUT. I run this to an assignable optical IN on
the Pioneer which I then assign to the "CD" selection. The receiver has to
be tuned to "CD" to get the 5.1 digital audio. So watching TV, changing
channels, requires a great deal of changing receiver settings as well.

What I want in a new receiver is a component input channel to which I can
assign optical 5.1 digital but will also default to an analog signal if no
digital signal is present. That way, the receiver can just be left, all the
time, on the same -- presumably "TV/SAT" -- setting when watching TV.

I thought I had found this in the Sony SRT-DE897-S, which I ordered from
Amazon, tried and sent back. It had assignable optical digital inputs and
you could supposedly, according to the manual, set the various component
channels on it to "2 CH" so that they would default to analog input if no
digital signal was present.

But, in fact, I found that if there was no digital signal, the DE897
receiver would not actually default to analog. If I started with analog, it
would detect a new digital signal, but not the other way around. In other
words, this feature -- the reason I bought the receiver -- just didn't work.

I had other problems with it as well. The optical IN's were not assignable
to any component, the DVD channel could only take COAX digital (so my DVD
player, with only an optical OUT, had to go to VIDEO ONE), and I could not
get it set up so that it would run the center channel, along with front R &
L, with analog surround audio from analog TV channels. It insisted on
playing TV audio as though it were music, i.e. L & R. Possibly I was just
unsuccessful at finding the correct settings for this.

Another question: Who uses all those video connections? What is their
purpose? I have a digital HDTV set with digital and analog audio OUT and a
DVD/DVR player with component OUT. I find no use for video inputs and
outputs on my receiver. Is it possible to find a Home Theater receiver that
just exists to take care of your audio rather than wasting all my dollars on
video inputs and outputs that I can't even imagine how I would use?

mack
austin
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:25:34 PM

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in message news:<lzMld.20087$Zr3.8645@fe1.texas.rr.com>...
> Maybe someone has some insight into where I should look in my continuing
> search for a replacement for my old Pioneer audio receiver.
>
> I run the analog audio out of my Sony HDTV set into the "TV/SAT" component
> analog (R/L RCA cables) input. So, for analog surround audio, I tune the
> receiver to "TV/SAT". But if we are watching a channel with digital audio,
> such as any HDTV programming, we want the 5.1 digital audio that feeds out
> of the TV set via an optical OUT. I run this to an assignable optical IN on
> the Pioneer which I then assign to the "CD" selection. The receiver has to
> be tuned to "CD" to get the 5.1 digital audio. So watching TV, changing
> channels, requires a great deal of changing receiver settings as well.
>
> What I want in a new receiver is a component input channel to which I can
> assign optical 5.1 digital but will also default to an analog signal if no
> digital signal is present. That way, the receiver can just be left, all the
> time, on the same -- presumably "TV/SAT" -- setting when watching TV.
>
> I thought I had found this in the Sony SRT-DE897-S, which I ordered from
> Amazon, tried and sent back.

I don't have any experience with your gear, but I do have a few
questions:

1) Do the Sony TV and the Sony receiver have S-Link connections, which
should keep all Sony gear operating in synch?

2) Did you try using the S-Link feature to keep all your Sony hardware
in synch?

Several makers have features like Sony's S-Link that operates only
within one brand. For example, JVC makes Compu Link, where, for
example, if you put in a DVD into the DVD player and press "Play," all
the other JVC gear will automatically power up and switch to proper
inputs and outputs, or so it's claimed. Pioneer's feature like this is
SR.

In a system as complex as yours, I don't know if S-Link will really
keep up with all your gear, but if you can borrow another Sony
receiver and use the S-Link feature to connect all the Sony gear, it's
worth a try.

(snip)

> Another question: Who uses all those video connections? What is their
> purpose? I have a digital HDTV set with digital and analog audio OUT and a
> DVD/DVR player with component OUT. I find no use for video inputs and
> outputs on my receiver.

The idea with the AV receivers is that they can act as a central
controller to handle and connect all your other gear, so that (for
example) you can use your AV receiver to control whether the output of
your DVD player or the output of your VCR reaches your TV. This gets
further complicated by the fact that in almost all cases, the TV's
tuner is in the TV or in a cable or satellite TV tuner, not in the AV
receiver, which is where I think the TV tuner should be. (If the TV
tuner was in the AV receiver, then your TV screen could act as a
monitor and just play whatever comes out of your AV receiver, sort of
like the way speakers just play whatever the AV receiver sends to
them.)

I'll add that a lot of the gear is so complex that many consumers
(including me) find it a bit overwhelming and too much bother and so
confusing that a lot of the features will eventually get little or no
use.

>Is it possible to find a Home Theater receiver that
> just exists to take care of your audio rather than wasting all my dollars on
> video inputs and outputs that I can't even imagine how I would use?

You could use a receiver this way:

DVD player, cable box, VCR, etc. -> TV audio and video inputs -> TV
audio outputs -> receiver

In other words, let your TV control all the inputs to the TV, then
have the receiver amplify whatever the TV sends to the receiver.

To simplify matter further, you could take the TV's L/R stereo outputs
and connect those to a stereo receiver or a Dolby Pro Logic receiver
that would take the stereo output of the TV and synthesize the
surround effect. For a system I have that is used by several family
members and for that reason needs to be kept simple to use, that's
what I have. The disadvantage is that there's no true Dolby Digital
surround, but we can live without that.

Here's my very simple system:

DVD player -> TV video and L/R audio inputs -> TV L/R audio outputs ->
Powered speakers with built-in Dolby surround circuits

The above system doesn't do a lot of things, but it works well, sounds
decent, and is very easy to use. Anyone can walk into the room, pick
up the TV's remote, turn on the TV, and watch with surround sound. The
only thing that requires any switches is the need to switch the TV to
the video input to watch a DVD.

> mack
> austin
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 7:05:12 AM

in news:lzMld.20087$Zr3.8645@fe1.texas.rr.com:

> Maybe someone has some insight into where I should look in my
> continuing search for a replacement for my old Pioneer audio receiver.
>
> I run the analog audio out of my Sony HDTV set into the "TV/SAT"
> component analog (R/L RCA cables) input. So, for analog surround
> audio, I tune the receiver to "TV/SAT". But if we are watching a
> channel with digital audio, such as any HDTV programming, we want the
> 5.1 digital audio that feeds out of the TV set via an optical OUT. I
> run this to an assignable optical IN on the Pioneer which I then
> assign to the "CD" selection. The receiver has to be tuned to "CD" to
> get the 5.1 digital audio. So watching TV, changing channels,
> requires a great deal of changing receiver settings as well.
>
> What I want in a new receiver is a component input channel to which I
> can assign optical 5.1 digital but will also default to an analog
> signal if no digital signal is present. That way, the receiver can
> just be left, all the time, on the same -- presumably "TV/SAT" --
> setting when watching TV.
>
> I thought I had found this in the Sony SRT-DE897-S, which I ordered
> from Amazon, tried and sent back. It had assignable optical digital
> inputs and you could supposedly, according to the manual, set the
> various component channels on it to "2 CH" so that they would default
> to analog input if no digital signal was present.
>
> But, in fact, I found that if there was no digital signal, the DE897
> receiver would not actually default to analog. If I started with
> analog, it would detect a new digital signal, but not the other way
> around. In other words, this feature -- the reason I bought the
> receiver -- just didn't work.
>
> I had other problems with it as well. The optical IN's were not
> assignable to any component, the DVD channel could only take COAX
> digital (so my DVD player, with only an optical OUT, had to go to
> VIDEO ONE), and I could not get it set up so that it would run the
> center channel, along with front R & L, with analog surround audio
> from analog TV channels. It insisted on playing TV audio as though it
> were music, i.e. L & R. Possibly I was just unsuccessful at finding
> the correct settings for this.
>
> Another question: Who uses all those video connections? What is
> their purpose? I have a digital HDTV set with digital and analog
> audio OUT and a DVD/DVR player with component OUT. I find no use for
> video inputs and outputs on my receiver. Is it possible to find a
> Home Theater receiver that just exists to take care of your audio
> rather than wasting all my dollars on video inputs and outputs that I
> can't even imagine how I would use?

I just bought a Kenwood VR509 on eBay. It has two sets of component
inputs (one called Video3 and another called DVD) and one component
output. The audio from my satellite box is connected via an optical
cable which provides audio for ALL channels on the box. The audio from
my DVD player is digital but coax, not optical and goes in the DVD coax
jack. Everything plays just fine (though I have to adjust the picture
when switching from DVD to Satellite). OTA is just about useless here.
I'm too far up the valley from Vancouver to get a really usable signal.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

November 15, 2004 6:40:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.audio.equipment,alt.home-theater (More info?)

"N" <neilnewsgroups@hotmail.com> wrote

> 1) Do the Sony TV and the Sony receiver have S-Link connections, which
> should keep all Sony gear operating in synch?
>
> 2) Did you try using the S-Link feature to keep all your Sony hardware
> in synch?

As far as I can tell from reading about it, I don't believe that Sony's
S-Link feature goes this far in coordinating various Sony components. In
any case, they have recently upgraded (?) that feature, so it appears as one
thing with some products, another with others, is barely mentioned -- and
never explained -- in the Sony manuals and they don't even supply -- or
offer -- a cable for it. Anyway, I think that would only turn on the linked
components together. I would not affect the main problem I had with the
Sony receiver, which was that the promised default to audio when on digtal
signal was present did not work.

mack
austin
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 8:41:26 PM

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in message news:<z54md.23514$pu3.11805@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> "N" <neilnewsgroups@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> > 1) Do the Sony TV and the Sony receiver have S-Link connections, which
> > should keep all Sony gear operating in synch?
> >
> > 2) Did you try using the S-Link feature to keep all your Sony hardware
> > in synch?
>
> As far as I can tell from reading about it, I don't believe that Sony's
> S-Link feature goes this far in coordinating various Sony components. In
> any case, they have recently upgraded (?) that feature, so it appears as one
> thing with some products, another with others, is barely mentioned -- and
> never explained -- in the Sony manuals and they don't even supply -- or
> offer -- a cable for it.

None of these Japanese makers really does much to publicize these sort
of linking features, which seems odd to men, given that pushing these
features would encourage consumers to buy within one brand.

I used to have some JVC Compu Link gear and really liked the linking
feature, but never tried anything as complex as what you need.

> Anyway, I think that would only turn on the linked
> components together.

I think with most linked one-brand systems, the gear will not only
power up, it will automatically go to the correct (or at least those
that will work) inputs and outputs. However, although I had JVC
receiver, DVD player, and VCR, I never got around to buying a JVC TV
with the linked feature. But it's my impression that with Compu Link'd
JVC gear you could, for example, when put a DVD into the DVD player,
and all the JVC receiver and TV would power up and go to the correct
settings. But I don't know if that would work with needs as extensive
as yours.

(I never got to the point of buying the JVC TV because I need to do
some remodeling and other pricey things, so I sold all the rest of the
JVC gear. Eventually, I may get more JVC gear or another brand such as
Sony that offers linking features and try again.)

BTW, if you search web and newsgroups via Google.com, you'll probably
find more info on S-Link. I know I've seen it discussed at least once
previously.

> I would not affect the main problem I had with the
> Sony receiver, which was that the promised default to audio when on digtal
> signal was present did not work.

Well, I don't know either, and the only way to find out would be to
try the Sony gear while it's all connected to S-Link, which I can't
do.

If you've got a decent dealer nearby and want to try the S-Link
feature, maybe they can help you.

> mack
> austin
November 22, 2004 4:44:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.audio.equipment,alt.home-theater (More info?)

I'm waiting on delivery of a STR DE 997. While doing research, I found that
it does not have an optical input for DVD. It does have a coax (which my DVD
player does not have). According to the owner's manual, I will be able to
assign an optical input and the component video to VIDEO 2. OK if it works.
My question is why there is no optical input for the DVD when there are
optical inputs for an SACD player and 2 (in/out) for an MD tape player? I
would say that most users would use an optical for DVD more than any of
those other inputs. Doesn't make sense to me.

Also, my manual says this about the AUTO 2 CH input: "Gives priority to
digital signals when there are both digital and aalog connections. If there
are no digital signals, analog is selected." Maybe your model's manual says
the same, but doesn't work.

> [...]
> get it set up so that it would run the center channel, along with front R
> &
> L, with analog surround audio from analog TV channels. It insisted on
> playing TV audio as though it were music, i.e. L & R. Possibly I was just
> unsuccessful at finding the correct settings for this.
>
> Another question: Who uses all those video connections? What is their
> purpose? I have a digital HDTV set with digital and analog audio OUT and
> DVD/DVR player with component OUT. I find no use for video inputs and
> outputs on my receiver. Is it possible to find a Home Theater receiver
> that
> just exists to take care of your audio rather than wasting all my dollars
> on
> video inputs and outputs that I can't even imagine how I would use?

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 9:01:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.home-theater (More info?)

On 21-Nov-2004, "Larry" <larlane@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm waiting on delivery of a STR DE 997. While doing research, I found
> that
> it does not have an optical input for DVD. It does have a coax (which my
> DVD
> player does not have). According to the owner's manual, I will be able to
> assign an optical input and the component video to VIDEO 2. OK if it
> works.
> My question is why there is no optical input for the DVD when there are
> optical inputs for an SACD player and 2 (in/out) for an MD tape player? I
> would say that most users would use an optical for DVD more than any of
> those other inputs. Doesn't make sense to me.

May I assume your STR DE 997 is a Sony? If so, you will probably find that
you can use the optical inputs for your DVD with no problems.

My Sony receiver is older than yours but I use the various inputs mostly for
whatever I want and change the front display label to show whatever is
actually connected.

--
John in Sun Prairie
Anonymous

"Larry" <larlane@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I'm waiting on delivery of a STR DE 997. While doing research, I found
that
> it does not have an optical input for DVD. It does have a coax (which my
DVD
> player does not have). According to the owner's manual, I will be able to
> assign an optical input and the component video to VIDEO 2. OK if it
works.
> My question is why there is no optical input for the DVD when there are
> optical inputs for an SACD player and 2 (in/out) for an MD tape player? I
> would say that most users would use an optical for DVD more than any of
> those other inputs. Doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Also, my manual says this about the AUTO 2 CH input: "Gives priority to
> digital signals when there are both digital and aalog connections. If
there
> are no digital signals, analog is selected." Maybe your model's manual
says
> the same, but doesn't work.

I bought a Sony STR DE-897, almost the same as the one you have ordered,
tried it out and returned it. I did not find that the AUTO 2 CH feature
worked very well. I also had some other problems getting it set up with my
system. Whether I just never found the right buttons to push or there was
some other reason, I can't be sure but, overall, I was dissatisfied with it.

Since then, I have purchased a Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver, hooked it up and
like it. It also has that auto-input feature but this one seems to work
well with my TV, with one exception. I have both analog and optical cables
into the receiver's "TV" input. When I change channels on the TV, the
receiver takes digital if there is digital, otherwise takes analog. (The TV
sends both analog and digital signals if there is digital, only analog if
there is not.) The one exception when the auto-input feature does not work,
is when I use the "Favorites" menu on my TV (Sony KDF-60XS955) to go from a
digital to an analog channel. In that case, the receiver does not make the
change. It stays on "digital input" -- silent. I can fix this by using
"Jump" to go back to the digital channel, then to the analog channel again.
The analog sound comes in instantly. Or I can use channel select to go to a
channel with a digital input and back to the analog channel.

I think this is probably a bug in the TV rather than the receiver.
Probably, the TV continues to send some kind of low signal via the optical
digital output when the channel is changed via "Favorites" rather than by
some other method. I think I can test this by using "Favorites" to go from
a digital to an analog channel, then unplugging the optical cable at the TV.
If the analog sound comes in immediately, that will indicate that there was,
in fact, some kind of signal coming down the line. But I have not tried
this yet. If that does not happen, well, then, I don't know. In any case,
this is a minor bug that I can live with if I have to.

But I see, using Froogle, that I can buy an optical to coax converter.
Maybe I will try that -- run the TV's optical out into the converter, then
run it into XR-50's coax input, re-assigned to "TV". I already have a spare
digital coax cable. Would be worth a try. You could perhaps use one of
those converters for your DVD to receiver connection.

As for your re-routing your optical cable, I also have a DVD/DVR that only
has optical out, no COAX. With the Sony receiver, I had to use the CDR
component input for the DVD player, because the receiver would not allow me
to assign an optical input to "DVD", only coax. I don't know why the
receiver-makers think all DVD players use coax digital outputs. Also, with
my Panasonic receiver, the factory-assigned digital input for DVD is coax.
But I could assign an optical input to it if I wanted to.

mack
austin
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 12:09:53 PM

"N" <neilnewsgroups@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
and a
> > DVD/DVR player with component OUT. I find no use for video inputs and
> > outputs on my receiver.
>
> The idea with the AV receivers is that they can act as a central
> controller to handle and connect all your other gear, so that (for
> example) you can use your AV receiver to control whether the output of
> your DVD player or the output of your VCR reaches your TV. This gets
> further complicated by the fact that in almost all cases, the TV's
> tuner is in the TV or in a cable or satellite TV tuner, not in the AV
> receiver, which is where I think the TV tuner should be. (If the TV
> tuner was in the AV receiver, then your TV screen could act as a
> monitor and just play whatever comes out of your AV receiver, sort of
> like the way speakers just play whatever the AV receiver sends to

Many of the wives and some of the children will do better if the receiver
selects/switches the audio source with the videa source together as a unit.
With this type of set up you probably (at least in the future) only need two
wires going to your tv. A power cable, and one set (perhaps component
cables) of wires to take the video from your receiver to the tv. This
minimizes wires running to your tv. Many like it this way. The Yamaha 750
I plan to buy apparently converts automatically all video input signals
regardless of the type of signal (through some internal mechanism) for the
best output signal, for a single component cable to run to the HD tv.

!