Can't connect to internet after downloading updates!

Hi all. I'm on cable configured for LAN.
Installed Windows XP Pro and was able to connect to internet and activated
it. No problems surfing.

Windows downloaded a whole heap of updates,
and now won't connect to internet.

Network settings are fine.

Thanks, George

In the future, set your update options to download but NOT install.
Have you tried using System Restore to undo the Updates?
Then you can download the Updates one by one manually, after determining
that you actually need the update.
Boot after each update and test your Internet ability.

newsreader wrote:
> Hi all. I'm on cable configured for LAN.
> Installed Windows XP Pro and was able to connect to internet and activated
> it. No problems surfing.
>
> Windows downloaded a whole heap of updates,
> and now won't connect to internet.
>
> Network settings are fine.
>
> Thanks, George

If you downloaded SP2 it turned on the windows firewall
by default. You might want to check to see if it's
blocking your access.

gls858

Yes, restarting helps.

But I'm not happy with my genuine verson of XP.
It just doesn't work well, is slow, and plays up.

My 5 year old Whistler version is far more stable,
but it has security issues, lately it keeps getting infected.

"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
> In the future, set your update options to download but NOT install.
> Have you tried using System Restore to undo the Updates?
> Then you can download the Updates one by one manually, after determining
> that you actually need the update.
> Boot after each update and test your Internet ability.
>

> "newsreader" <un@avail.able> wrote in message
> > Hi all. I'm on cable configured for LAN.
> > Installed Windows XP Pro and was able to connect to internet and
activated
> > it. No problems surfing.
> >
> > Windows downloaded a whole heap of updates,
> > and now won't connect to internet.
> >
> > Network settings are fine.
> >
> > Thanks, George

TRENDING THREADS