Sign in with
Your question

I DESPERATELY need some help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2007 1:59:36 AM

Hey, I'm new to the TomsHardware forums, and am in need of some technical support for this hardware problem.

When I came home and booted up my computer, there was no display. Everything's been fine for about six months with no problem, so I made sure all of the cables were connected, etc, yet there was still no display from my GF6800 (monitor detects it's plugged into something, yet no video out from the GPU). So I swapped the 6800 with my 6600GT that's in my other computer, and it worked perfectly. So I thought, "great, my 6800's dead." BUT, my 6800 works perfectly fine with my OTHER computer.

Summary:

My computer:
6800 - no display
6600GT - works fine

Other computer:
6800 - works fine
6600GT - works fine

This doesn't make any sense and if anyone could help me, reach me on AIM at BMANZZS, or alternatively post here. Thanks a bunch.

Things I've tried:
- using different RAM
- reseated CPU
- took out motherboard and remounted it
- used a different PSU
- 6800 in a different computer (works fine)
- reset motherboard cmos

SPECS:
My computer (6800 no display, works fine with 6600GT):
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket754
Motherboard: BIOSTAR NF325-A7
RAM: 1GB (512x2) Corsair Value Select

Other computer (6800 and 6600GT work fine):
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Motherboard: ASUS something (compaq SR1130NX)
RAM: 512MB Samsumg PC3200

More about : desperately

April 19, 2007 2:10:33 AM

Quote:
Hey, I'm new to the TomsHardware forums, and am in need of some technical support for this hardware problem.

When I came home and booted up my computer, there was no display. Everything's been fine for about six months with no problem, so I made sure all of the cables were connected, etc, yet there was still no display from my GF6800 (monitor detects it's plugged into something, yet no video out from the GPU). So I swapped the 6800 with my 6600GT that's in my other computer, and it worked perfectly. So I thought, "great, my 6800's dead." BUT, my 6800 works perfectly fine with my OTHER computer.

Summary:

My computer:
6800 - no display
6600GT - works fine

Other computer:
6800 - works fine
6600GT - works fine

This doesn't make any sense and if anyone could help me, reach me on AIM at BMANZZS, or alternatively post here. Thanks a bunch.

Things I've tried:
- using different RAM
- reseated CPU
- took out motherboard and remounted it
- used a different PSU
- 6800 in a different computer (works fine)

I know this is kinda stupid but try this. Put your 6800 back in there, and power it up. The monitor will not turn on...so here's what you do. You take the power cable of the MONITOR out of the plug...and put it back 5 seconds later. Tell me what happens from there.
April 19, 2007 2:12:55 AM

The same old "Monitor is working; check your PC and signal cable" message pops up.
Related resources
April 19, 2007 2:33:34 AM

This is a really strange problem....what PSU do you have? I know you said that you tried a different one, but I'm just checking. What is the other one that you tried? Again, just checking. What other components do you have in your PC's?

Make sure that the power connectors on the motherboard are securely in place. Same with the power adapter for the graphics card itself. Also, check to make sure that there isn't anything in the slot. (AGP? or PCIe?) I mean, like dust, or something like that. Make sure that the contatcts on the card are cleaned.

Give me some more details, and I will help you further.

Best of Luck
April 19, 2007 2:42:09 AM

Quote:
This is a really strange problem....what PSU do you have? I know you said that you tried a different one, but I'm just checking. What is the other one that you tried? Again, just checking. What other components do you have in your PC's?

Make sure that the power connectors on the motherboard are securely in place. Same with the power adapter for the graphics card itself. Also, check to make sure that there isn't anything in the slot. (AGP? or PCIe?) I mean, like dust, or something like that. Make sure that the contatcts on the card are cleaned.

Give me some more details, and I will help you further.

Best of Luck

PSU: MGE Vigar rated at 450watts (yeah, not very good, but it's been fine for the past 2 years) http://www.velocityreviews.com/reviews/XGbox-Vigor-450....
Other PSU: Some 300watt one that came with a Compaq. About a year ago, I had the 6800 in there with the same setup and worked perfectly fine for at least a month.
power connectors are secure, believe me i've checked this numerous times
about your other questions: please remember that my 6600GT works fine with the exact same setup. i just tried reswapping them both again, with the same problem

complete specs in my first post.
April 19, 2007 4:10:41 AM

Weird. Ok, I'm going to start the check of the REALLY obvious stuff, I just don't you to miss them somehow before you start replacing things.

1. What kind of video output are you using? When you put the 6800 in the computer is the video output the same on both PC's? (ie, VGA or DVI)

2.Is the monitor cable plugged in all the way?

3. Is the monitor on? (stupid, yet important)

4. Are all power connectors on the motherboard and GPU are attached correctly?

5. Make sure that the bios jumper is NOT in the reset position.

6. Make sure that the card is inserted ALL the way into the AGP(?) slot, and the retention clip is set correctly.

You said that you used a different power supply. When you tested this, how did you do it?

If none of these things works....something is definitely broken....and I'm not really sure what it is! This one has me stumped :? ....which is hard to do, if I do say so myself. (and I do) 8)
April 19, 2007 5:30:11 AM

Quote:
Weird. Ok, I'm going to start the check of the REALLY obvious stuff, I just don't you to miss them somehow before you start replacing things.

1. What kind of video output are you using? When you put the 6800 in the computer is the video output the same on both PC's? (ie, VGA or DVI)

2.Is the monitor cable plugged in all the way?

3. Is the monitor on? (stupid, yet important)

4. Are all power connectors on the motherboard and GPU are attached correctly?

5. Make sure that the bios jumper is NOT in the reset position.

6. Make sure that the card is inserted ALL the way into the AGP(?) slot, and the retention clip is set correctly.

You said that you used a different power supply. When you tested this, how did you do it?

If none of these things works....something is definitely broken....and I'm not really sure what it is! This one has me stumped :? ....which is hard to do, if I do say so myself. (and I do) 8)

1. VGA. I also have tried using a VGA to DVI adaptor.
2. Yes, I've made sure of it.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. It's not. (I've tried resetting the CMOS, too)
6. It is. It is.
April 19, 2007 6:24:08 AM

I'd like to thank you for at least attempting to help me in some way... I would like to think of myself as reasonably knowledgeable in hardware compatibility, however this one I do not get whatsoever. It makes zero sense to me.
One last bump before I leave... =/
April 19, 2007 7:58:17 AM

i had similar problems with multiple computers before. Worked with both AGP and PCI based graphics cards I used. (yes, the PCs were ancient)

this is what I did to make them work:
1. Power it on.
2. Wait 5 seconds.
3. Hit the reset switch.
4. Wait 5 seconds.
5. If it still won't turn on, power it off then do 1-4 again.

It usually worked for the the first 2-4 rounds. Dunno how or even why what I do works but it worked for me before. Quite illogical, yes, but if you're really that desperate, you have nothing to lose. Hope it does work for you too though.

Good luck!
April 19, 2007 2:09:57 PM

Do you get a POST beep with the 6800 installed, or is it completely dead?

Could your power supply be finally giving up? Cheap ones die early, but can also die slowly. Maybe the 6800 draws just a little too much juice?
April 19, 2007 4:51:53 PM

Quote:
Do you get a POST beep with the 6800 installed, or is it completely dead?

Could your power supply be finally giving up? Cheap ones die early, but can also die slowly. Maybe the 6800 draws just a little too much juice?

I was also wondering this, but since he has tried a different power supply, it seems that it can't be the problem.

This is a really strange problem indeed. I really don't know. I would suggest maybe a new motherboard...but I really don't know. If I were you, I would just swap the 6800 into the 2800+ machine and play games on it. Really, its not worth the money to try to fix the PC, because its somewhat old, and the problem could be just about anything. Heck, I bet if you put that 6600 into the 3500+ machine, you could sell it for quite a bit. Throw in a few 100 dollars, and bam: build yourself a Core 2 machine with a decent GPU.

Sorry I can't help....what a weird problem. :?
April 19, 2007 7:27:29 PM

sigh, old tech support training: If you have tried the part in another computer and it works fine there and another part in the original computer works fine, then there is possible damage that is in both the computer and the part and that the problem only shows up when the part is connected to the computer. The downside is that both the motherboard in the computer and the graphics card may eventually fail all together.

Unfortunately, there is no way to be sure the problem your having with your computer and graphics card is really this problem or not.
April 20, 2007 2:15:53 AM

Try doing this:

Go to the bios, and let it boot with onboard graphics first
Using your onboard graphics (plug monitor into the onboard graphics plug)
Remove old card drivers and install new ones (Use driver cleaner pro after you remove old drivers, run it in safe mode)
Then try putting the card in...

Or maybe, whenever you put the other card in (the 6800), the bios is booting from the onboard but not from the card itself! You said the monitor says it's connected to something but not booting up...maybe that's the problem. Put the 6800 in, but plug the monitor cable into the onboard plug and see if it turns on. Try above first and see how it goes.
April 20, 2007 4:44:46 AM

I noticed one thing NF3 board, now i know its been working fine but my chaintech VNF3 250 i used to have one day the chipset went nutty on it, it stopped reading all ATI cards and when GART was installed it would BSOD, your chipset may be the cause, also check for bad caps on your mobo
April 20, 2007 5:03:12 AM

i think you may have hit a incompatability or a failed piece of hardware. If you tested it on your other comp, chances are your computer is =( perdu....
April 21, 2007 6:37:41 AM

Quote:
i had similar problems with multiple computers before. Worked with both AGP and PCI based graphics cards I used. (yes, the PCs were ancient)

this is what I did to make them work:
1. Power it on.
2. Wait 5 seconds.
3. Hit the reset switch.
4. Wait 5 seconds.
5. If it still won't turn on, power it off then do 1-4 again.

It usually worked for the the first 2-4 rounds. Dunno how or even why what I do works but it worked for me before. Quite illogical, yes, but if you're really that desperate, you have nothing to lose. Hope it does work for you too though.

Good luck!

Thanks. I'll try this.

Quote:
sigh, old tech support training: If you have tried the part in another computer and it works fine there and another part in the original computer works fine, then there is possible damage that is in both the computer and the part and that the problem only shows up when the part is connected to the computer. The downside is that both the motherboard in the computer and the graphics card may eventually fail all together.

Unfortunately, there is no way to be sure the problem your having with your computer and graphics card is really this problem or not.

Sounds about right. I don't like all of those downsides... =/

Quote:
Try doing this:

Go to the bios, and let it boot with onboard graphics first
Using your onboard graphics (plug monitor into the onboard graphics plug)
Remove old card drivers and install new ones (Use driver cleaner pro after you remove old drivers, run it in safe mode)
Then try putting the card in...

Or maybe, whenever you put the other card in (the 6800), the bios is booting from the onboard but not from the card itself! You said the monitor says it's connected to something but not booting up...maybe that's the problem. Put the 6800 in, but plug the monitor cable into the onboard plug and see if it turns on. Try above first and see how it goes.

My motherboard does not have onboard graphics. Thanks for the reply, though.

Quote:
I noticed one thing NF3 board, now i know its been working fine but my chaintech VNF3 250 i used to have one day the chipset went nutty on it, it stopped reading all ATI cards and when GART was installed it would BSOD, your chipset may be the cause, also check for bad caps on your mobo

bad caps?

Quote:
i think you may have hit a incompatability or a failed piece of hardware. If you tested it on your other comp, chances are your computer is =( perdu....

Yeah, that's what I thought first, and that's why I went on this board... =/
April 21, 2007 1:28:58 PM

Quote:

bad caps?

Bulging, leaking or missing capacitors.
April 21, 2007 2:44:32 PM

My sons computer used to do that sometimes after he would restart, turn on or somtimes even bump the computer we found out later after many hours of cursing and frustration Some how all the screws that hold the motherboard down to the stand offs were loose tightened all and no problem after that. Kinda reaching but worth a check
April 21, 2007 3:48:39 PM

If none of the things mentioned above work, use your older card that works in your pc, uninstall any and all graphics drivers and shut down. Place the faulty card into the pc and boot it up from there, also if the card has dual outputs and you have 2 monitors plug them both in and boot up with the fault card, see if anything happens on either monitor.
April 21, 2007 3:58:48 PM

Most people don't have the proper equipment to troubleshoot a PC at home. Before you risk doing damage to components, take it into a shop and pay them to diagnose for you. Then replace the bad part on your own. A 300w PSU may actually not be enough, depends on how much power it's actually putting out on it's rails. If they're both older and cheap PSU's, they could both be fluctuating too much and not providing steady power.
April 21, 2007 4:17:10 PM

I have had this happen.

It was not the motherboard or the video card.

The case backplate caused the video card to tweak when you screwed it down and eventually short the AGP bus. So No video.

If I installed the video card and was careful to set it level in the bus without screwing it in. It would boot no problem. As soon as it was screwed in....tweakage and black screen no boot.

I had to bend the back plate enough so that it aligned correctly and problem solved.
!