Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP/Vista Number of Installations

Last response: in Windows XP
December 6, 2006 1:13:45 AM

Hello all,

I was wonder if its legal to install 1 copy of xp/vista in more then 1 computer. Since I brought a copy of xp home and my other computer needs to be reformatted but I dont have another copy. However there's a CD-key sticker on that computer. Can I use this copy of xp and use that CD-key? Eventhough the CD-key sticker is for SP1?

And when vista comes out, can I just buy 1 copy and install it on all my computers with the same installation key?

Thank you
December 6, 2006 1:25:15 AM

Quote:
Hello all,

I was wonder if its legal to install 1 copy of xp/vista in more then 1 computer. Since I brought a copy of xp home and my other computer needs to be reformatted but I dont have another copy. However there's a CD-key sticker on that computer. Can I use this copy of xp and use that CD-key? Eventhough the CD-key sticker is for SP1?

And when vista comes out, can I just buy 1 copy and install it on all my computers with the same installation key?

Thank you

From what I have been told at computer auctions, with XP, etc, if there is a microsft licence sticker on case, you can use any XP CD to instal but you must use the sticker # on case, not the one that came with the XP CD.

Second Q = NO :roll: , 'unless' it is a special licence with multiple installation permissions.
December 6, 2006 2:08:10 AM

it's illegal, home users usually only get one copy which has one license associated with it...if u really wanted to scam them and rip the system, you'd install it on the 2nd machine, it would crap out during activation saying you've already activated the copy, you call microsoft, ask for a new activation key, they say are you installing the cd on multiple machines, you say no, the cause is you formatted your only machine in the house and had to re-install windows
Related resources
December 6, 2006 3:09:01 AM

so i can install 1 copy of vista in 3 comps and tell them that i formatted and reactivating?.....

major loop hole 8O
December 6, 2006 4:59:18 AM

Quote:
so i can install 1 copy of vista in 3 comps and tell them that i formatted and reactivating?.....

major loop hole 8O

By doing the illegal above, you make it hard for the genuine people :x

It could backfire on you in the future - think about it!!
Anonymous
December 6, 2006 10:48:49 AM

Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you

You can use your XP Home CD with the other computer as long as it matches the type of CD Key. In other words, if the CD Key is a XP Home OEM Key, you must use a XP Home OEM CD. Service Pack levels don't matter.

Grumpy
December 8, 2006 3:25:50 AM

Quote:

major loop hole 8O

By doing the illegal above, you make it hard for the genuine people :x

It could backfire on you in the future - think about it!!

Yeah, buy the damn OS.
!