Disk Defrag won't complete task

My disk defrag will not complete total defragmentation of my hard drive. It
tells me certain files could not be defragmented...about 9% of the drive.
How can I get it to defrag the whole drive?

Thanks for any advice.
using xp pro.
2 answers Last reply
More about disk defrag complete task

    Try in safe mode.

    "Toby" <Toby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My disk defrag will not complete total defragmentation of my hard drive.
    It
    > tells me certain files could not be defragmented...about 9% of the drive.
    > How can I get it to defrag the whole drive?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    > using xp pro.

    There are certain files that defragmenter will not defrag. Paging file is
    one and the hibernation file, if you use hibernation, is another.
    If you are only defraging 9% of the drive then what is happenning after
    that? Does defrag just stick there for hours or does any error messages
    appear?
    What i would suggest is to try defragmenting from the command prompt (click
    start>allprograms>accessories>command prompt. At the command prompt type:
    Defrag C:/ (or whatever drive letter you want to defrag)
    You might also like to run chkdsk prior to defragmenting the drive. Again
    click Start>run and in the Run dialogue box type chkdsk and press OK
    If you still have a problem then try defragmenting in safe mode.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "Toby" <Toby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My disk defrag will not complete total defragmentation of my hard drive.
    > It
    > tells me certain files could not be defragmented...about 9% of the drive.
    > How can I get it to defrag the whole drive?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    > using xp pro.

Microsoft Defragment Hard Drives Windows XP