Disk Defrag won't complete task

April 21, 2005 9:08:01 PM

My disk defrag will not complete total defragmentation of my hard drive. It
tells me certain files could not be defragmented...about 9% of the drive.
How can I get it to defrag the whole drive?

Thanks for any advice.
using xp pro.
April 21, 2005 11:28:32 PM

Try in safe mode.

"Toby" <Toby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My disk defrag will not complete total defragmentation of my hard drive.
It
> tells me certain files could not be defragmented...about 9% of the drive.
> How can I get it to defrag the whole drive?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> using xp pro.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 5:29:10 AM

There are certain files that defragmenter will not defrag. Paging file is
one and the hibernation file, if you use hibernation, is another.
If you are only defraging 9% of the drive then what is happenning after
that? Does defrag just stick there for hours or does any error messages
appear?
What i would suggest is to try defragmenting from the command prompt (click
start>allprograms>accessories>command prompt. At the command prompt type:
Defrag C:/ (or whatever drive letter you want to defrag)
You might also like to run chkdsk prior to defragmenting the drive. Again
click Start>run and in the Run dialogue box type chkdsk and press OK
If you still have a problem then try defragmenting in safe mode.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

!