Sign in with
Your question

Should I wait for Penryn?

Last response: in CPUs
April 19, 2007 2:40:56 AM

well my pc is very old, 5 years now, but upgraded to 2 gigs of ram, and i have a BFG 6600 GT... basically that means i can basically play no new games except on the lowest of detail.. so what do i do, or rather what are you suggestions?

More about : wait penryn

April 19, 2007 2:44:00 AM

Penryn is still 6 months away. If you wait for Penryn there is the added bonus of seeing how K10 fares against it.

If you can hold out, then good luck to ya. Otherwise, current CPU choices aren't that bad either, with this price war going on. ;) 
April 19, 2007 2:46:48 AM

yea i do convert movies alot to dvd format etc, and yes i do burn alot of things

but i also play or would like to get back into playing more games, Crysis for one.. and i would actually like to be able to play medieval 2 total war, on some good settings..

but then im not sure if i can wait, so does the performance outweigh the time i would have to wait?
Related resources
April 19, 2007 2:50:03 AM

You can always pick up a very cheap AM2 setup for now, like those X2 3600+ combo deals to tide you over until Penryn/K10. Great value for the moola. 8)
April 19, 2007 2:56:35 AM

Im assuming Ill need a new mobo for Penryn?
April 19, 2007 2:58:17 AM

No, wait till Gesher comes out.... :roll:
April 19, 2007 3:00:35 AM

We don't know for sure yet if current P965 or 680i/650i will support Penryn. It all depends on how up to date the VRM is on these mobos. At IDF, Intel needed a VRM mod on the 975X mobo to run Penryn, but the 975X is an older chipset compared to the ones listed earlier.

The upcoming Bearlake chipset mobos will definitely support Penryn. The OP can get one of those and the new Pentium Es to tide him over until Penryn.
April 19, 2007 3:02:56 AM

settle for penryn... What?!? heck, Skulltrail and Larrabee are just around the corner...
April 19, 2007 3:16:10 AM

i know there is always something better around the corner, and i always tend to get buyers remorse.. so i want to buy a pc at the best time possible.. :wink:
April 19, 2007 3:39:00 AM

For most gaming performance (you mentioned Crysis) the video card is a lot more important than the CPU as long as the CPU isn't crippling the system. My personal plans are to grab a (Conroe) C2D after the price cuts, and then probably ignore Penryn and AMD K10 completely and plan on Nehalem or AMD's future generation (Shanghai?) for the next upgrade. Of course, if Penryn and/or K10 kick enough butt, I could always move the C2D into an HTPC...

There's always something better coming out. I feel that a good C2D should last a few years, especially if you survived 5 years on the old machine. Remember, the guys who bought a GF8800 have been gaming and laughing at those (still) waiting for the ATI R600 for the past 6 months. Who can say for sure that Penryn will launch on time, maybe they'll have yield issues, price it excessively, or who knows what. Once Penryn comes out, Nehalem should be close and so you'll want to wait for that, and once it comes out ... You just have to bite the bullet some time if you find a product that fits your needs at a price you'll accept. If you're that worried about Penryn support, follow Epsilon84's advice and get a P35 mobo and one of the E series "Pentium"s or an E4300.
April 19, 2007 5:19:01 AM

With competitive pricing between Intel and AMD, a C2D or an X2 build should give one roughly equal long-term price/performance providing that upgrade paths materialize for both choices. I have the luxury-non-luxury of waiting for more info on Barcelona performance/support due to being cash-strapped for the next few months, but if buying now was an option I'd certainly take Senor_Bob's words into serious consideration.
April 19, 2007 1:09:02 PM

Quote:
Penryn is still 6 months away. If you wait for Penryn there is the added bonus of seeing how K10 fares against it.

Penryn may arrive in six months or sooner but as I understand it D1D will be Intel's only 45-nm fab to be on-line this year. And Intel is likely to prioritize the server market with most of the lower binning output (~2.0 to ~2.6 GHz). This means that the desktop Penryn parts available this year are likely to be the higher speed variants and quite costly, like over $500 for dual core Penryns. Just a guess, but I don't see Intel having the 45-nm capacity to supply the mainstream market this year. They will keep prices high.

Going by the rumored Q3 Intel price cuts, it's the inexpensive 65-nm quad cores that will have the best bang for buck in the back half of the year. You could get a sub-$300 Kentsfield, overclock it to 3 GHz, and have yourself a monster quad core. If AMD's Agena is priced right and overclocks well, that would be another sweet option.

But get ready for Intel to flood the mainstream market with 45-nm quad cores in 2008. They're bringing at least two more large 45-nm fabs on-line in the first half.
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2007 2:16:53 PM

Just get the best that you can afford and is available on the market now. If you get buyers remorse, you're gonna feel that no matter how long you wait. And, whatever you buy now will certainly be better than what you have, so don't play the hurry-up-and-wait game especially when you can buy a totally kick-a$$ C2D or AM2 machine at an affordable price.

[rant]Nothing against the OP but every friggin' time a new proc is slated to be released or benchies come out, someone always creates a thread like this. Ineveitably it starts out innocent enough with the exact same question, "I have "X" now but want to upgrade but I also heard that Intel/AMD is releasing product "Y" in the coming months, so should I wait or buy now?" And, ineveitably, the repsonses are always the same as well.

C'mon, really now, WTF? Can't people make a friggin decision w/o creating a BS thread hoping someone else will tell them what to do. Seemingly, more and more people today are followers waiting to be told what to do so they can relinquish any responsibility and not be blamed if things go wrong or are not happy with their choices.

Please don't try to rationalize or defend threads like this because they are largely indefensible and I really just don't give a fv*k![/rant]
a c 99 à CPUs
April 19, 2007 4:03:27 PM

Playing games is largely a function of your GPU power. You're on an AGP system, so your options are limited. Any newer system will have PCI Express and be able to use more powerful (and less expensive) graphics cards than are available in AGP. If I were you, I'd build now and make sure that a decent GPU goes into the system rather than a high-end CPU.

Penryn is a slightly-tweaked die shrink of Conroe with 50% more cache. It will have higher top-bin clock speeds than Conroe will, but for all intents and purposes, it will have minimal performance gains over a similarly clocked Conroe for 99.99% of tasks. It will be an improvement, but it won't be drastic.
April 19, 2007 4:41:05 PM

Quote:
[rant]Nothing against the OP but every friggin' time a new proc is slated to be released or benchies come out, someone always creates a thread like this. Ineveitably it starts out innocent enough with the exact same question, "I have "X" now but want to upgrade but I also heard that Intel/AMD is releasing product "Y" in the coming months, so should I wait or buy now?" And, ineveitably, the repsonses are always the same as well.

C'mon, really now, WTF? Can't people make a friggin decision w/o creating a BS thread hoping someone else will tell them what to do. Seemingly, more and more people today are followers waiting to be told what to do so they can relinquish any responsibility and not be blamed if things go wrong or are not happy with their choices.

Please don't try to rationalize or defend threads like this because they are largely indefensible and I really just don't give a fv*k![/rant]

lol
April 19, 2007 5:24:22 PM

Quote:
but i also play or would like to get back into playing more games, Crysis for one.. and i would actually like to be able to play medieval 2 total war, on some good settings..

dont worry crysis wont be out before the end of the year :lol: 

im in the same boat as you but the games i wanna play isnt out yet (crysis huxley Age of conan so on) so i wait. my idea is to buy the X38 mobo with a Q6600 for $266 and when the penryn drops i'll probably pick one up unless the Q6600 gives me enough performance to last for nehalem in 08
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2007 5:50:33 PM

Quote:
Playing games is largely a function of your GPU power. You're on an AGP system, so your options are limited. Any newer system will have PCI Express and be able to use more powerful (and less expensive) graphics cards than are available in AGP. If I were you, I'd build now and make sure that a decent GPU goes into the system rather than a high-end CPU.

Penryn is a slightly-tweaked die shrink of Conroe with 50% more cache. It will have higher top-bin clock speeds than Conroe will, but for all intents and purposes, it will have minimal performance gains over a similarly clocked Conroe for 99.99% of tasks. It will be an improvement, but it won't be drastic.

Ummm, the performance difference per clock for Penryn will be considerably better then C2D.

I read many of your posts and you seem to love to downplay Intel and up play AMD.. what gives?

AMD's Barcelona will still win the Performance per Clock segment (even over Penryn). Only thing that will probably hold it back is clock speeds.
April 19, 2007 6:01:32 PM

Quote:
yea i do convert movies alot to dvd format etc, and yes i do burn alot of things

but then im not sure if i can wait, so does the performance outweigh the time i would have to wait?

If you want to be a crysis player, wait for Penryn and the next gen DX10 card. The Conroe and Nv 8800 is good, but things will get a lot better in 6-12 months. Crysis will come out about this time anyway.
a c 99 à CPUs
April 19, 2007 6:28:07 PM

Quote:

Ummm, the performance difference per clock for Penryn will be considerably better then C2D.

The initial benches showed massive gains for SSE4-enabled applications, but rather minimal gains per clock for non-SSE4 apps. The last two benchmarks (no SSE4) had 15% and 20% gains from the 2.93 Kenstfield to the 3.33 Wolfdale. The clock is 12% higher, so it would stand to reckon that the rest is IPC improvements. That's 3% and 8%, respectively. That's good to see, but not earth-shattering. Especially when somebody has a 5-year old machine and any upgrade will be 100% or more of an increase in speed. If it's a few percent faster per clock, a few percent is chicken feed at that point.

Quote:
I read many of your posts and you seem to love to downplay Intel and up play AMD.. what gives?

I try recommend stuff that's a better buy for the money. AMD's stuff is ridiculously cheap right now and outperforms anything E6600 and below for the dollar. The E6600 can outperform the X2 6000+ in a few more applications and the X2 6000+ will beat the E6600 in a few less, but it's $315 versus $240.

I'd recommend the Intel gear if somebody wants to overclock or wants a quad-core CPU (or 8-core DP workstation) at the present. I have a hard time recommending that somebody gets a $500+ dual-core CPU like the E6700 and X6800 as it's not that much gain in performance for the large increase in cost. So that's why you'll likely not hear me recommend a Core 2 Duo to somebody that's not going to overclock unless Intel drops their prices (or AMD raises theirs) to achieve a performance-for-the-dollar parity or advantage. I'll bet that you'll hear me recommending Q6600s later this year if they hit $266 like was predicted, especially if AMD's Athlon 64 X4s are much more expensive.

Quote:
AMD's Barcelona will still win the Performance per Clock segment (even over Penryn). Only thing that will probably hold it back is clock speeds.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how the chips finally fall and especially how much the K10s sell for.
!