Sign in with
Your question

Crazy CRC errors when downloading

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 7, 2006 3:33:23 AM

Every time I download a file that is bigger than a couple of megs I get an CRC error saying the file is corrupt when I try to open it. When I try to unzip a zip file winzip reports an error. I have ran ScanDisk on my hard drive and there are no errors, I have also swaped out my IDE cable and that didnt help. I also installed a new network card and different Ram, I still get the same errors on almost all my downloads. Any suggestions?

More about : crazy crc errors downloading

December 7, 2006 10:19:40 AM

If you have the Nvidia firewall it can cause corrupted downloads on certain motherboards.
Please tell us more about your setup.
December 7, 2006 3:08:34 PM

I am using a ASROCK 775 Dual-VSTA with a E6400. This problem has not always been happening however when I tried to overclock my E6400 I changed some settings in the BIOS such as (IDE Strength, RAM Voltage) That seemes to have started the problem however I defaulted all of those back to stock. I also downloaded all the latest drivers for the motherboard around the time this started to happen. At this point I'm thinking of trying another hard drive with a fresh install of XP to see if it fixes the problem.
Related resources
December 7, 2006 5:21:34 PM

You could run diagnostics from the manufacturer on that drive. Additionally I would run a SMART test, using Hitachi Hard Drive fitness test or other software like speedfan. If it fails the SMART test, replace the drive. You may have some bad bits on your hard drive from the overclocking experience like you are thinking.
Do you experience errors in running programs also or is it just the downloads?
December 9, 2006 2:19:26 AM

i knwo you've reverted the settings back, but i suggest you reset the entire bios settings in there to defaults and try again
!