Crossover cable questions

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Desktops
  • Cable
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
March 23, 2007 2:10:21 AM

OK, I bought a crossover a cable a few days ago hoping to use it to transfer files from my desktop to my laptop, but I caught a snag. How do you get all the network stuff set up so you can use the crossover cable, some help would be very much appreciatiated! Thanks

More about : crossover cable questions

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2007 10:07:13 AM

Use static IP addresses:

Computer 1:
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Computer 2:
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Make sure the Workgroup name is the same, enable folder sharing and disable any firewalls.

Grumpy
March 23, 2007 2:31:35 PM

Quote:
OK, I bought a crossover a cable a few days ago hoping to use it to transfer files from my desktop to my laptop, but I caught a snag. How do you get all the network stuff set up so you can use the crossover cable, some help would be very much appreciatiated! Thanks
Have you tried running the home network setup wizard? It will set everything up for you. You just tell it what your network is like.
Related resources
March 23, 2007 10:02:58 PM

Alright that got my computers together, but here's the thing my desktop cannot connect to the internet when my computers are connected with the cable, any ideas why?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2007 11:04:45 PM

How do you normally connect to the Internet?

Grumpy
March 24, 2007 12:29:55 AM

normally I use a wirless connection
March 24, 2007 2:19:51 AM

Well, you could try running the home network setup wizard. (Where have I heard that before?)
March 24, 2007 8:32:30 PM

Did you change any settings on the wireless connection?
March 24, 2007 10:15:42 PM

ok, I got it to work now, I'm not really sure what happened but it works so I'm ok. Thanks for all your help
March 26, 2007 6:38:00 PM

Welcome to the world of modern voodoo :) 
March 26, 2007 7:45:23 PM

choknuti, nothing to do with this thread, but I thought you should know.

Your avatar is in the running for the world's most annoying! :trophy:

:wink:
March 27, 2007 6:23:24 AM

Quote:
choknuti, nothing to do with this thread, but I thought you should know.

Your avatar is in the running for the world's most annoying! :trophy:

:wink:

Thanks :(  Its FMA and a lot of people have said that its nice. I guess it's one of those thing and you either hate or love. :roll:

p.s. I hope you don't mind me quoting you in my signature
March 27, 2007 1:43:11 PM

Quote:
p.s. I hope you don't mind me quoting you in my signature
Not at all! :lol: 
April 15, 2007 11:11:14 PM

Hello

I have a question about crossover cables and this looks like the place to go to for answers.

I am teaching a networking course (for the first time) at a high school. I wanted my students to have the opportunity to make straight thru patch cables and crossover cables. The straight thru cable worked fine. Some cat5 cable, RJ45 jacks, and a crimper and we were in business. The fun has begun with the crossover cable.

I purchased a crossover cable and demonstrated how it could be used to connect to computers together. I made sure the IP addresses were different, that the workgroup was the same, and enabled folder sharing. Things went well with the two machines (both Windows 2000) I was using for the demonstration.

However after my students made their cables, they could not get their machines to communicate. I tried connecting their machines with the store bought crossover cable and got the same error they did. When I go into "My network places" and click on "Entire network" and then "Microsoft Windows Network" it pauses for about a minute. Then it comes back with the following error message: "Workgroup is not accessible. The list of server for this workgroup is not currently available."

I can't find out what the difference is between their machines and mine. They are all Compaq Pentium III's with fresh installs of Windows 2000 (upgraded from Windows 98SE). I have doubled, tripled, and quadrupled checked the the IP addresses were different, that the workgroup was the same, and folder sharing was enabled. Are there any firewalls built into Windows 2000?

Any insight that anyone can provide to a newbie network teacher would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
!