ghepetto

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
If i just hooked up the basic stuff like USB's, audio, reset cords, and then hooked up all that stuff to the motherboard and flipped the switch could i have hurt the mothherboard? There was a blue light but thats all... no buzzing or noises... none of the fans and the psu fan didnt come on.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
So, you have a power supply and motherboard installed, but nothing else? Recheck your connections, the PSU fans should have spun up. You shouldn't have hurt anything, assuming you have everything hooked up correctly, but you should complete the build before you turn it on.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Well, the good news is you SHOULDN'T have hurt anything. I'm assuming you didn't connect something weird and or backwards, sending more electricity to things than they can handle. Hook up eveything else and post back.

ghepetto

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Im pretty sure I got the main and cpu hook ups correct. Its wierd though because ive got two fans both are 12v but i dont know where to hook them up... the motherboard only has one 12v hook up but im using that for sli...what should i do?

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
If i just hooked up the basic stuff like USB's, audio, reset cords, and then hooked up all that stuff to the motherboard and flipped the switch could i have hurt the mothherboard? There was a blue light but thats all... no buzzing or noises... none of the fans and the psu fan didnt come on.
Which switch did you flip? If you mean the one on the back of your PSU that's normal - the fans won't start until you push the power button connected to the mobo but an LED will usually come on to show that standby power is available.
Im pretty sure I got the main and cpu hook ups correct. Its wierd though because ive got two fans both are 12v but i dont know where to hook them up... the motherboard only has one 12v hook up but im using that for sli...what should i do?
What connector are you using for SLI? Some boards have an extra IDE-HD-style connector near the PCIe graphics slots. Or are you talking about the cooling fans for the northbrdge and southbridge? Anyway, just hook the case fans up directly to the PSU. They should have some adapter to plug into a hard disk plug.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Is your motherboard in the case or still on the outside? If it's in, did you remember the brass standoffs? Exactly what is connected and what did you do? Your original post is a bit vague...

ghepetto

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
When I posted it was on the inside and I did remember to put the brass studs onto the chassis itself then the motherboard then the screws on top of that. Right now I took it out b/c my hands are to big so once my memory comes in ill put it back. The fans im talking about are the fans on the case, ive got one on the side and one on the back, the both have two white connectors, one male and one female (thats the electrical term idk if it applies for computers)... So i just hook those up to the Psu or does have to go to the motherboard?