Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD TV not displaying full screen - HELP

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
November 15, 2004 7:17:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Maybe somebody can explain to me it this is the way it is suppose to work or
not!
I am new to HDTV but I have a Sony KV-36XBR450 TV that will display 1080i.
This set has a 4 x 3 aspect ratio
I recently received a model 811 HD receiver from the dish network. This
receiver, in addition to receiving HD from the satellite, will also receive
HD off the air. When I have the Dish receiver set to output 1080I the HD is
beautiful. It is displayed in a 16:9 format and if the stations are
transmitting in this display the screen on the TV is filled full width. Of
course the height is less than full screen because of the 16:9. If the
stations are broadcasting a less that full width HD picture the picture is
black all around the edges on all four sides. I believe that this is normal
as the I think that the transmitting format is always 16:9 even if the
picture isn't? However, I thought that when I tune the dish receiver to a
none HD (normal) channel on either the satellite or off the air that the TV
would display for screen 4:3 - - It doesn't. It still has black all around
the picture unless I go back into the dish receiver setup and change the
resolution to 480i. The setup menu has a 16:9 and a 4:3 choice but it
really doesn't make any difference except to distort the picture
horizontally. This is really a pain in the butt. What's the deal. Doesn't
the dish receiver change back to normal 480i or isn't the TV smart enough to
see the change? How can I get the TV to display full screen on regular
(none HD) broadcast? Dish network is pointing the finger at Sony and Sony
is pointing the finger at Dish. If I have to put up this using all these
remotes I'm going back to watching 480i.

Any help out there?

Tom

More about : displaying full screen

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 10:02:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

X-No-archive: yes

"Tom" <tkutz@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:e5Wld.32873$V41.18398@attbi_s52...
>
> Any help out there?
>
> Tom
>
============================
Yes.

Get a proper 16:9 HD set.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 12:03:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Tom" <tkutz@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:e5Wld.32873$V41.18398@attbi_s52...
> Maybe somebody can explain to me it this is the way it is suppose to work
> or
> not!
> I am new to HDTV but I have a Sony KV-36XBR450 TV that will display 1080i.
> This set has a 4 x 3 aspect ratio
> I recently received a model 811 HD receiver from the dish network. This
> receiver, in addition to receiving HD from the satellite, will also
> receive
> HD off the air. When I have the Dish receiver set to output 1080I the HD
> is
> beautiful. It is displayed in a 16:9 format and if the stations are
> transmitting in this display the screen on the TV is filled full width.
> Of
> course the height is less than full screen because of the 16:9. If the
> stations are broadcasting a less that full width HD picture the picture is
> black all around the edges on all four sides. I believe that this is
> normal
> as the I think that the transmitting format is always 16:9 even if the
> picture isn't? However, I thought that when I tune the dish receiver to a
> none HD (normal) channel on either the satellite or off the air that the
> TV
> would display for screen 4:3 - - It doesn't. It still has black all
> around
> the picture unless I go back into the dish receiver setup and change the
> resolution to 480i. The setup menu has a 16:9 and a 4:3 choice but it
> really doesn't make any difference except to distort the picture
> horizontally. This is really a pain in the butt. What's the deal.
> Doesn't
> the dish receiver change back to normal 480i or isn't the TV smart enough
> to
> see the change? How can I get the TV to display full screen on regular
> (none HD) broadcast? Dish network is pointing the finger at Sony and
> Sony
> is pointing the finger at Dish. If I have to put up this using all these
> remotes I'm going back to watching 480i.
>
> Any help out there?
>
> Tom

Have you tried pressing the page up/down button on the 811 remote?
This changes the different modes on my Sony HDTV.

Jim




----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Related resources
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:21:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

post-age@spamcop.net (Richard C.) wrote in
news:4198c2bd$0$31314$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com:

> X-No-archive: yes
>
> "Tom" <tkutz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:e5Wld.32873$V41.18398@attbi_s52...
>>
>> Any help out there?
>>
>> Tom
>>
>============================
> Yes.
>
> Get a proper 16:9 HD set.

Why would a "proper" 16:9 HD set help him when watching "normal" 4:3
SD video?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@visi.com
November 16, 2004 6:27:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Yup - all it does is change the stretch and zoom. The space on the TV
screen is always the same. Sony tells me that that's the way it is

Tom



"Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message
news:4198b4d6$1_5@127.0.0.1...
>
> "Tom" <tkutz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:e5Wld.32873$V41.18398@attbi_s52...
> > Maybe somebody can explain to me it this is the way it is suppose to
work
> > or
> > not!
> > I am new to HDTV but I have a Sony KV-36XBR450 TV that will display
1080i.
> > This set has a 4 x 3 aspect ratio
> > I recently received a model 811 HD receiver from the dish network. This
> > receiver, in addition to receiving HD from the satellite, will also
> > receive
> > HD off the air. When I have the Dish receiver set to output 1080I the
HD
> > is
> > beautiful. It is displayed in a 16:9 format and if the stations are
> > transmitting in this display the screen on the TV is filled full width.
> > Of
> > course the height is less than full screen because of the 16:9. If the
> > stations are broadcasting a less that full width HD picture the picture
is
> > black all around the edges on all four sides. I believe that this is
> > normal
> > as the I think that the transmitting format is always 16:9 even if the
> > picture isn't? However, I thought that when I tune the dish receiver to
a
> > none HD (normal) channel on either the satellite or off the air that the
> > TV
> > would display for screen 4:3 - - It doesn't. It still has black all
> > around
> > the picture unless I go back into the dish receiver setup and change the
> > resolution to 480i. The setup menu has a 16:9 and a 4:3 choice but it
> > really doesn't make any difference except to distort the picture
> > horizontally. This is really a pain in the butt. What's the deal.
> > Doesn't
> > the dish receiver change back to normal 480i or isn't the TV smart
enough
> > to
> > see the change? How can I get the TV to display full screen on regular
> > (none HD) broadcast? Dish network is pointing the finger at Sony and
> > Sony
> > is pointing the finger at Dish. If I have to put up this using all
these
> > remotes I'm going back to watching 480i.
> >
> > Any help out there?
> >
> > Tom
>
> Have you tried pressing the page up/down button on the 811 remote?
> This changes the different modes on my Sony HDTV.
>
> Jim
>
>
>
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet
News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
Newsgroups
> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 10:20:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

X-No-archive: yes

"Bert Hyman" <bert@visi.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95A25F299292VeebleFetzer@news.visi.com...
> post-age@spamcop.net (Richard C.) wrote in
> news:4198c2bd$0$31314$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com:
>
>> X-No-archive: yes
>>
>> "Tom" <tkutz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:e5Wld.32873$V41.18398@attbi_s52...
>>>
>>> Any help out there?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>>============================
>> Yes.
>>
>> Get a proper 16:9 HD set.
>
> Why would a "proper" 16:9 HD set help him when watching "normal" 4:3
> SD video?
>
============================================
It would solve his problem.
That problem is caused by a "comprimised" HD set in the antiquated 4:3
ratio.
On a 16:9 set, 4:3 material will not be windowboxed........it will merely be
pillar boxed.
On a 16:9 set, the highest quality material (HD) will be the largest
picture.
========================================
!