Web Pages Run Off Screen

April 21, 2005 11:04:02 PM

I recently had XP Home Edition installed at my local computer shop. My
problem is some web pages are too wide for my screen and some are just fine.
For example, MSN main page runs off the right hand side of the screen and My
MSN is just fine. I don't have to use the bottom scroll bar. How can I fix
this?

More about : web pages run screen

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:30:06 PM

It really depends upon how the web page was created in the first place. A
lot of web designers are going for resolutions of 1024 x 768. Others, on the
other hand, stick to the standard 800 x 600. Hence if your own monitor
display resolution is set for say 800 x 600 the this type of web page will
display okay on your monitor. On the other hand, with the same monitor
resolution, a 1024 x 768 web page would require you to scroll to the right
to see all of the screen.
You don't say what your monitor screen resolution is. perhaps it might be
worth taking a look and, if you can increase the resolution, then do so.
Obviously an increase in monitor resolution will make things, like icons,
text etc, look slightly smaller.
To change the monitor resolution go to Control panel and click on the
Display properties icon. In display properties click the settings tab. You
will then see a slider under 'screen resolution'. If your secreen is 800 x
600 try moving the slider so the resolution changes to 1024 x 768. Don't go
too mad witht he screen resolution though because your monitor may not
support the resolution, in which case you may have problems reverting back
to a more suitable resolution. After changing the resolution click the Apply
button. A message will appear telling you that the screen resolution will
change is 'x' number of seconds. If the resolution is okay you can simply
click the OK button to apply the change anyway.
In the unlikely event that a problem occurs and you unable to return to a a
lower resolution you may have to boot to safe mode to make the corrections.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

!