How to tell if a fan is working properly?

cpetaling

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Hi,

I have my casing open for some time, and I used to wonder if the noise the CPU fan was making is really louder than it is supposed to be. It is a loud even hum, which doesn't cause the case to vibrate but you could easily tell that the PC's on from several meters away.

I have a P4 3.0 CPU and a ASUS P4P800 motherboard. I do recall once having to remove an extra optical drive because the CPU fan refused to work with two HDDs and two DVD-ROM drives.

Also, I have noticed at times when I run ASUS Probe that it occasionally warns me that a fan (either the CPU or chassis) has negative RPM ("CPU fan below threshold!"), which is strange because I can clearly see both sets of fans spinning (in the same manner as described above) from where I sit.

The same ASUS Probe software currently reports my CPU and Motherboard temps at 31 and 46 degrees celsius, respectively.

Does it look like I need to do something with the fan :?:

Your temperatures are fine. The fan in red is spinning slowly. If it is a slow speed fan you can disable the warning in the Bios if you like, but it could be a sign of a dying fan also if it is a regular fan.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
nope, i wouldn't, the rpm with is a modulated pulse, so if the fan skips a beat your computer goes wtf and says it has negative rpm, doesn't matter though because on the next cycle it will pick up again.

cpetaling

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
just what i thought. you're right, the monitor does pick up the correct rate after a few seconds; but admittedly the no cpu alarm is quite distracting.