Looks like Apple BSD has future (Linux, BSD, closest match)

Firstly, Apple does not licence its operating system to third party manufacturers, which is a disadvantage because large companies do not like depending on a single hardware supplier: "Many companies dislike procuring PC hardware when there is only a single provider. At this point, Apple does not intend to allow other vendors to build Mac OS-compatible PCs".

I think this is one of the factors stopping Apple gaining share. May corporates got burned back in the Mainframe and Mini days with propriatory standards and vendor lockin. PC's were a way round that tie in. As it stands I would say Windows is still king of the desktop area. Linux is in prime time in the server area and that Apple will always maintain its niche markets and loyal fan base.

Can Linux gain Apple share? I doubt it. Can Apple gain Linux share? Quite possibly. When my present rig dies I dont know which way I'll go..

linux_0

Splendid
Apple has done some interesting things but I prefer open source :-D

Open source is almost infinitely customizable and there is no vendor lock in.

I think closed source should be used only when appropriate.

:-D

Hehe.. I was waiting for a flame for hinting I might cheat on good lady Linux :wink:

Its a dirty thought that I've had since the first mini came out. I was more sold on the sexy lines..

I'm sorry.. I'll put the poster of RMS back up and promise never to look at the evil sirens again.. :twisted:

linux_0

Splendid
Hehe.. I was waiting for a flame for hinting I might cheat on good lady Linux :wink:

Its a dirty thought that I've had since the first mini came out. I was more sold on the sexy lines..

I'm sorry.. I'll put the poster of RMS back up and promise never to look at the evil sirens again.. :twisted:

:lol: :lol:

I like some of what RMS is doing but I'm not a blind follower :-D

It's possible to be a moderate person and be a capitalist and Linux and open source supporter at the same time :-D

Long Live Open Source :-D

PS That includes BSD and other open source too

And commercial products based on BSD? :p

Indeed. I'm a big fan of the OS philosophy, I've even defended the Ubuntu no closed format stance down here before now. I am also however a great believer in the right tool for the right job.

I'm not a blind follower either. I'm aware of the shortfalls as well as the advantages. OS has given me an awful lot. I'm not a developer or even that serious a techie with Linux so I work on the public awareness.

linux_0

Splendid
And commercial products based on BSD? :p

Indeed. I'm a big fan of the OS philosophy, I've even defended the Ubuntu no closed format stance down here before now. I am also however a great believer in the right tool for the right job.

I'm not a blind follower either. I'm aware of the shortfalls as well as the advantages. OS has given me an awful lot. I'm not a developer or even that serious a techie with Linux so I work on the public awareness.

Yes that includes commercial products based on BSD like Mac OS X as long as apple is playing fair. They sometimes do... and sometimes not.

I applaud commercial companies when they support and use Open Source however they are not to be applauded when they abuse the GPL or BSD license or use open source and give nothing back to the community.

:-D