frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Ive recently been looking for a new anti virus program so I tried two different trials to see how I liked them. One was CA Security Suite the other was Kapersky AV. Well the trials ended and I uninstalled the software, but there is still directories on my hard drive for the programs and I cannot delete them. When I try deleting them I get the similar messages for both it says "access denied, please make sure files are not write protected or currently in use". This is very annoying I hate software like that that gives your problems when trying to delete. Any ideas why I cant delete the files?? The software uninstalled fine, but the directories and all the files are still on my drive. I tried going into safe mode and deleting and that didn't work, I tried to delete any registry entries for the software and any temp files but I still cannot delete the files!!! Please help

G

You could try Unlocker. http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Grumpy

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Carefully mark down all the locations of the files/folders that you want to delete.

Open a Command Prompt window via Start - Run - cmd.

Leave the CP window open for now & close ALL OTHER open programs by doing the following: Start - Run - (type in) taskmgr.exe and click OK. In the Image Name column highlight only explorer.exe and click End Process.

LEAVE TASK MANAGER OPEN and return to the CP window. Navigate to all the locations you want to delete stuff. Type del (filename) or (folder). Do NOT do *.*

When you're done, close out CP and return to Task Manager. Click on the File menu at the upper left corner - New Task and type in explorer.exe to return to the gui. Check to see if you completed the job.

If it's all gone, then clean up your Registry with a good Registry app such as Registry Fix or Registry Mechanic. SCAN ONLY.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
to add to that, you can use the /f switch to force the deletion of any files which might already have open handles should you still get an access denied during deletion while explorer has been taken down

another way of doing this would be to boot to safe mode with command prompt, it never loads explorer to begin with, the explorer shell is replaced with a command prompt shell

don't forget about recovery console