I finally got tired of Explorer opening to My Documents...

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I have an Explorer.exe shortcut in my quick launch menu & I've been using XP SP1 for however many years it's been out now. Every time I open it, I minimize My Documents (to avoid a scroll) maximize My Computer & maximize the F:\ drive (my primary HDD for non-application related files) and I am tired of it. It's three clicks & two seconds I don't want to waste twenty or thirty times a day.

So... I have no idea how to go about relocating the location Explorer starts in...?_?... So if somebody could enlighten me as to how this is possible & maybe explain it, that would be great!

And as a side note, a long time ago my PC used to skip over the XP welcome screen & just go straight into my (only) login. Any way to get the back too? To clarify, I'm aware I can switch it to the classic little box where I type in my username & (if I had one) password but I didn't have either one when I first installed XP. If it isn't possible (or even if it is - I've kinda gotten used to it at this point) does anybody know how I would go about modifying the XP Welcome Screen with a different placement of the icons & a new background?

I tried googling around about this but I think they're just a little bit obscure & unimportant to be popular questions.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Ah yes... Kudos to the kindly grumpy one for pointing me in the right direction. And curiousity to my browser for asking me to validate the Microsoft site's security certificate...?_?...

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
well...you have to understand, explorer.exe shortcut will always open to my documents and it will have the folders pane open on the left hand side as well

ultimatley, where do you want that shortcut to take you to? what's your start preference? if you want it to start up at the F drive, just make a shortcut of that...gotta tell us what your end goal is

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Ah yes... So simple...?_?...

I always overlook the easy ones. Thanks for the help. It was just a matter of making a shortcut to the F: drive. Of course now there's an alternate 3 clicks to make... Oh well. At least I've scratched the itch.