Impossible to install windows xp

MrShoot

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Hi,

I'm going crazy with this issue and I cannot find any possible solutions. I hope someone in here can help me somehow.Let me explain what's my situation.

I have a SATA drive (WD 160GB) I had Windows XP installed on my machine until yesterday that I decided to try a beta version of Vista. Now, I want to get rid of Windows Vista and install XP again. However, when I insert my CD to boot, after it loads all the files,etc...It shows me this message

Quote:
Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard drives are powered on properly connected to your computer,and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct.This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

I know for sure that the drive is not damaged because I am able to boot Windows Vista and access everything on my PC. But I can't figure out why Windows XP boot loader does not see the SATA drive.

If anyone please is able to help, drop a reply.

G

Did you hit F6 and install the drivers for the SATA controller?

Grumpy

MrShoot

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006

Grumpy

yes I did, and it says that the disk I used does not have the information required. However, how come I didn't need the drivers the first time I installed windows?

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
As Grumpy states, you need to install the SATA controller. Some motherboards need you to install the RAID drivers to get proper SATA support - even if you are not using RAID. During the install, Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install the custom RAID drivers.

Vista has a more comprehensive set of SATA/RAID drivers built in, which is why Vista will recognize your drive by default, while XP won't.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
yes I did, and it says that the disk I used does not have the information required. However, how come I didn't need the drivers the first time I installed windows?

If Windows isn't recognizing the drivers from your Mobo cd, there should be a utility on the Mobo cd to create a floppy or USB drive with the drivers. If not, try your Mobo manufacturer's website for the right drivers.

G

Grumpy

If you're not using RAID, you should be able to go into the BIOS and change the SATA Mode to IDE instead of RAID and then you wouldn't need the driver floppy. What model motherboard do you have?

Grumpy

MrShoot

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
My motherboard is the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR. But there is one thing I don't get though. I had Windows XP installed before and I never instaled any SATA drivers, Windows recognized my drive in a matter of seconds.

Now I don't know why is causing this problem.

MrShoot

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
I found the tool on the driver's CD. Everything worked out perfectly, thanks a lot to you both for your help.

Even though the problem was solved, I still don't know why Windows XP did not recognize the drive the second time I tried to install it. What would be the difference between one install and the other?

G

I hope that's a rhetorical question. Since I didn't install XP on your computer originally or try to reinstall in now, I don't have any idea.

Grumpy