kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My daughter got a used Panasonic Toughbook CF-72. In her impatience, she installed an OEM copy of Win XP Pro onto the box. Now I'm trying to get the clean install of Win XP onto it but it won't boot from the CD. I went into the setup utility and noticed it was set for password on boot, which I reset to no. Anything else? It was originally set to boot from LAN which is probably another reason the version of Win XP she loaded is a little funky. I disabled that as well.

G

Booting from a LAN would have no effect on installing XP. Where did you get the XP CD you're trying to boot from? You could use an OEM XP CD as long as it wasn't installed on another PC or came from a PC vendor such as Dell or HP.

Grumpy

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
propably your cd is the recover disk that many manufactures are sold their pc's.
so for you is only one option ,use an other windows cd xp.(if you have an other pc use that disk)

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
so 100%, the cdrom device is the first choice of boot on the bios configuration now?

are you sure this xp cd is bootable, can you test it on another machine? if it's giving you problems, just throw it into the laptop while you're in windows, it'll ask you if you want to upgrade or go with a clean install, so choose clean and it will reboot and the setup will start as a seperate boot option, doesn't require the cd i believe