ipaq screen too bright for night time

July 13, 2005 9:38:57 PM

screen is so bright it hurts my eyes, . at the lowest setting there is
no light at all, the screen is uneradable at night. at the second from
lowest it is way too bright.
me wearing sunglasses dims the screen a lot but not enough.

is there a tiny light attachment, like the gameboy had? then i could
pout the ipaq light on the lowest setting (no light).
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:56:40 PM

I'm not sure if there is such a light that will work with your device.

Have you looked at Spb Pocket Plus? It has the ability to dim your
backlight to any setting (a true slider). It may offer some help - and is a
great application to boot.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

<jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> screen is so bright it hurts my eyes, . at the lowest setting there is
> no light at all, the screen is uneradable at night. at the second from
> lowest it is way too bright.
> me wearing sunglasses dims the screen a lot but not enough.
>
> is there a tiny light attachment, like the gameboy had? then i could
> pout the ipaq light on the lowest setting (no light).

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:30:05 AM

Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com! wrote:
> I'm not sure if there is such a light that will work with your device.
>
> Have you looked at Spb Pocket Plus? It has the ability to dim your
> backlight to any setting (a true slider). It may offer some help - and is a
> great application to boot.
>
> Regards,

I have v.2 of Spb Pocket Plus and, on the rx3115, the control for the
backlight does NOT have the slider that it had when I had it installed
on my Toshiba e755. All it has is an icon, basically, that when pressed
sends you to the backlight control in Settings/System (which he said
would not make fine enough adjustments).

There is a more recent version of Pocket Plus that I didn't feel like
paying for, since in all other respects this one works great (including
the ability to CLOSE programs, or CLOSE ALL, thus eliminating that
business of too many opens apps crashing the unit). If you have the
more recent version, and use it with a rx3115, does it have the slider
for backlight control?
July 15, 2005 2:13:14 AM

Hello,

Version 2.5 does have such a slider. It is located off of the Indicators
Category in the Options of Pocket Plus.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"WCH" <DELwhexeterETE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com! wrote:
>> I'm not sure if there is such a light that will work with your device.
>>
>> Have you looked at Spb Pocket Plus? It has the ability to dim your
>> backlight to any setting (a true slider). It may offer some help - and
>> is a great application to boot.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> I have v.2 of Spb Pocket Plus and, on the rx3115, the control for the
> backlight does NOT have the slider that it had when I had it installed on
> my Toshiba e755. All it has is an icon, basically, that when pressed
> sends you to the backlight control in Settings/System (which he said would
> not make fine enough adjustments).
>
> There is a more recent version of Pocket Plus that I didn't feel like
> paying for, since in all other respects this one works great (including
> the ability to CLOSE programs, or CLOSE ALL, thus eliminating that
> business of too many opens apps crashing the unit). If you have the more
> recent version, and use it with a rx3115, does it have the slider for
> backlight control?
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:02:08 AM

Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com! wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Version 2.5 does have such a slider. It is located off of the Indicators
> Category in the Options of Pocket Plus.
>
> Regards,

When I click the PocketPlus icon to go to their Options menu, all the
Features are checked (Repeating Alarms, Pocket IE, etc). But when I
press the button below that dialog box for "Feature Options" NOTHING
HAPPENS. No new menus, no new options, nothing. Is this my problem?
So far I am using PocketPlus 2.5 as an unregistered demo to see if it's
worth upgrading from my registered 1.x version. When I just had my 1.x
version installed I didn't have a slider for backlight there either, and
the Features Options button wouldn't work there either.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 9:17:30 PM

It sounds like there may be something amiss with your installation.

Here is what I did to get the backlight slider on my Today screen

1. Tap and hold within Pocket Plus then tap Add/Remove Item...
2. On the Category list, there is the Indicators list. Choose this
3. On this list is the Backlight Indicator. Check the box then OK your way
out
4. It should then appear on your Today Screen plug in.

HOpe this helps

--

news:D t-dnb2x-rczCkrfRVn-qA@comcast.com...
> Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com! wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Version 2.5 does have such a slider. It is located off of the Indicators
>> Category in the Options of Pocket Plus.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> When I click the PocketPlus icon to go to their Options menu, all the
> Features are checked (Repeating Alarms, Pocket IE, etc). But when I press
> the button below that dialog box for "Feature Options" NOTHING HAPPENS.
> No new menus, no new options, nothing. Is this my problem? So far I am
> using PocketPlus 2.5 as an unregistered demo to see if it's worth
> upgrading from my registered 1.x version. When I just had my 1.x version
> installed I didn't have a slider for backlight there either, and the
> Features Options button wouldn't work there either.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:12:45 PM

<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> It sounds like there may be something amiss with your installation.
>
> Here is what I did to get the backlight slider on my Today screen
>
> 1. Tap and hold within Pocket Plus then tap Add/Remove Item...
> 2. On the Category list, there is the Indicators list. Choose this
> 3. On this list is the Backlight Indicator. Check the box then OK your
way
> out
> 4. It should then appear on your Today Screen plug in.
>
> HOpe this helps

It may be that Pocket Plus only exposes controls
that exist natively in the specific PPC it's running on.

In other words, if your hardware does not support
infinitely-adjustable backlight, then Pocket Plus cannot
fix that, it can only use the available "stepwise" adjustment.

> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>
> "WCH" <DELwhexeterETE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D t-dnb2x-rczCkrfRVn-qA@comcast.com...
> > Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com! wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Version 2.5 does have such a slider. It is located off of the
Indicators
> >> Category in the Options of Pocket Plus.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>

> > When I click the PocketPlus icon to go to their Options menu, all the
> > Features are checked (Repeating Alarms, Pocket IE, etc). But when I
press
> > the button below that dialog box for "Feature Options" NOTHING HAPPENS.
> > No new menus, no new options, nothing. Is this my problem? So far I am
> > using PocketPlus 2.5 as an unregistered demo to see if it's worth
> > upgrading from my registered 1.x version. When I just had my 1.x
version
> > installed I didn't have a slider for backlight there either, and the
> > Features Options button wouldn't work there either.

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:52:16 PM

Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com! wrote:
> It sounds like there may be something amiss with your installation.
>
> Here is what I did to get the backlight slider on my Today screen
>
> 1. Tap and hold within Pocket Plus then tap Add/Remove Item...
> 2. On the Category list, there is the Indicators list. Choose this
> 3. On this list is the Backlight Indicator. Check the box then OK your way
> out
> 4. It should then appear on your Today Screen plug in.
>
> HOpe this helps

Sorry to have been unclear. I DO have the PocketPlus Backlight control
on my Today screen. However, it's just a thick horizontal line -- there
is no "slider" control on it! If I tap it (there's no other way to
interface with it) all it does is open to the Backlight controls in the
PPC. So my problem is not FINDING the control, its that the control
doesn't work properly, in that it doesn't have the slider needed to
actually use it. Isn't that weird?
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:14:48 PM

Reply to message from jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk (Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:38:57)
about "ipaq screen too bright for night time":

> screen is so bright it hurts my eyes, . at the lowest setting there is
> no light at all, the screen is uneradable at night. at the second from
> lowest it is way too bright. me wearing sunglasses dims the screen a lot
> but not enough.

> is there a tiny light attachment, like the gameboy had? then i could
> pout the ipaq light on the lowest setting (no light).

There are dozens of new high-intensity blue-LED 'book-lights' available for
$5 and up that may be what you're looking for. These are small light-weight
clip-on lights for night-time reading and have battery lifetimes of 1,000
hrs and up.

Bye
R Hughes
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:09:36 -0400

July 17, 2005 2:09:01 PM

Peter wrote:
> jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk wrote
>
> >screen is so bright it hurts my eyes, . at the lowest setting there is
> >no light at all, the screen is uneradable at night. at the second from
> >lowest it is way too bright.
> >me wearing sunglasses dims the screen a lot but not enough.
> >
> >is there a tiny light attachment, like the gameboy had? then i could
> >pout the ipaq light on the lowest setting (no light).
>
> In addition to the other replies, and specific to my HP4700:
>
> The automatic brightness control doesn't work properly. It's auto
> adjustment range is too narrow to be usable. It works in conjunction
> with the manual setting, and the auto brightness function merely
> controls the brightness over a range *around* the manual slider
> setting.
>
> Due to the limited auto control range, it is better to use manual
> control, especially fir night-time usage.

mine has no manual control. I think i'll just get a torch with a manual
control!
July 17, 2005 3:33:53 PM

!