Apex 27" bargain LCD HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 15, 2004 5:54:16 PM

In the store using component cables, the image on 27" Apex LCD AVL2776
appeared to be nearly as good as 26" LCDs costing at least $1000 more. At
home the image is excellent using its included VGA cable connected to OTA
HDTV set top box (Samsung SIR-T351 set 720p). It is also excellent using
component cables from DVD.

For VGA modes I would expect an "Auto" button in the menu to automatically
size and center the image (like my 19" flat panel monitor). But Apex's
"Auto" menu button for VGA shifts HD picture to the left a bit instead of
centered, so there is a black bar on right. Fortunately it has manual
controls for H and V position so it can be centered for a perfect image.

With DVI cable, I would expect the image to be centered and sized
automatically (like my 19" flat panel monitor). But on the Apex, a DVI
image is shifted to the right, with no "Auto" or manual position
adjustments.

Speakers are average (OK for voice, but lack bass). Fortunately a single
set of audio outputs allow any sound source to be easily piped to external
sound system. It also has a subwoofer output.

For the price I can live with manually positioned VGA mode, and its 2
component inputs work fine. But if I ever wanted to connect it to a DVI
source, it would be nice if that worked. So I was wondering if someone
else has an Apex AVL2778 that does the same thing, or if the shifted Auto
VGA and shifted non-adjustable DVI modes are correctable defects?

More about : apex bargain lcd hdtv

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 11:17:46 PM

Are you willing to invest your money into a product with very little
technical or part support? Buy a service contract so when it does fail the
retailer can attempt to get it serviced. If you did invest your money, enjoy
it while it lasts, hopefully when it goes out it will be within the very
limited warranty period.
"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
> In the store using component cables, the image on 27" Apex LCD AVL2776
> appeared to be nearly as good as 26" LCDs costing at least $1000 more. At
> home the image is excellent using its included VGA cable connected to OTA
> HDTV set top box (Samsung SIR-T351 set 720p). It is also excellent using
> component cables from DVD.
>
> For VGA modes I would expect an "Auto" button in the menu to automatically
> size and center the image (like my 19" flat panel monitor). But Apex's
> "Auto" menu button for VGA shifts HD picture to the left a bit instead of
> centered, so there is a black bar on right. Fortunately it has manual
> controls for H and V position so it can be centered for a perfect image.
>
> With DVI cable, I would expect the image to be centered and sized
> automatically (like my 19" flat panel monitor). But on the Apex, a DVI
> image is shifted to the right, with no "Auto" or manual position
> adjustments.
>
> Speakers are average (OK for voice, but lack bass). Fortunately a single
> set of audio outputs allow any sound source to be easily piped to external
> sound system. It also has a subwoofer output.
>
> For the price I can live with manually positioned VGA mode, and its 2
> component inputs work fine. But if I ever wanted to connect it to a DVI
> source, it would be nice if that worked. So I was wondering if someone
> else has an Apex AVL2778 that does the same thing, or if the shifted Auto
> VGA and shifted non-adjustable DVI modes are correctable defects?
November 16, 2004 1:22:55 PM

Just curious... Is the Apex 27 inch wide screen or not? What are they selling
for?

George
!