Media Player 11 Problems

drifter_888

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I just finished my first build. I installed a fresh copy of XP Pro with all the latest updates.

OS XP Pro SP2
x6800 OC 3.4
eVGA 680i motherboard
2GB Corsair 6400C4
18X DVD
XFi Elite Sound Card
PNY 7950GT

When I play movies or video from the net they are very very dark. It is almost as if there is no color and the brightness and contrast have been turn way way down. You can make out shadows of what you are supposed to be seeing but it is completely washed out.

I've installed OS before several times but I have never experienced this problem. I can only guess it is a Plug-in or maybe a patch that I am missing for a 2 Core system. This is the first dual core system I have ever owned.

Could someone give me some advise on what to do or what I may be missing?

I have already re-installed the OS several times in the hope it would solve this issue.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
hehe, there was a post about this before, something in particular with the nvidia forceware drivers, i can't recall if i had it happening with wmp 10, but definately happens on my wmp 11, dvds and divx, but i have a workaround (btw the same thing happens to me if i view a streaming video using wmp...specially pr0n)

start up the movie in wmp, browse to a folder which has any mpeg avi divx xvid or whatever movie type clips which wmp supports, make sure this folder is using the thumbnail view type, as soon as you open up that folder wmp will suddenly brighten up, u then close it, and watch the movie

hope this works for you

drifter_888

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Thank you the codex works! Now only if I can get my Power DVD 5 to work as well? Any hints. Just crashes as soon as I try to play something..

fourtu

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
I have an AMD dual core 3800 cpu with PNY 7900 GS PCI-E. I use WMP 11 to watch streams and DVD. If you use the Advanced view of the Nvidia control panel, you should be able to adjust Red, Green and Blue independently as well as brightness, contrast, hue and saturation. I watch streamed videos with as good a result as possible( considering it is low quality content most times.

Additionally, look at your Video settings for WMP 11 in tools/options. You may find the fix there. Goold luck!

iceman845

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
hey i have the exact same problem, and an easy "fix" is if i open quick time real quick and then close it. brightens up instantly. never did this w/ wmp10 :( also running nvidia nforce 4. sad.

drifter_888

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I think it had to do with the Codex. Someone gave me another codex to try for an old version of Media Player and I haven't had the problem since. At that time I was trying to play movies from overseas. I think it was called storm codex or something.