Unicorn99

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
:(
For the last 24 hours I have been unable to login to my msn account. I get the message Windows Live Messenger could not sign you in because the sign-in name you entered does not exist or your password is incorrect. Error code: 80048823
I have tried this on 4 systems with the same fate.
I run most of my business contacts from MSN so its of topmost importance to me. My MSN login is a yahoo id. If you cannot suggest how to fix it or contact msn is there a way to transfer my contact list to a new account or at least view it so i can add it there?
Thanks in advance!

Unicorn99

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Yes its functional on yahoo. I also used the live messenger support to change my password but to no avail.
This issue isnt system specific. I have tried logging in using our systems in UK, India and U.s.

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Ya, figured it wasn't one system, thought I'd double check with the id password before anything :) I'll google around see what I can find..

msn's support forum is a pretty good place to look, they have a plethora of threads on specific problems, but it's annoying to filter through, slow page, and sometimes toooooo many related topics, but ya, we'll see!

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
found

1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the clock verify that
the time and date are set.
2. If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing it in with the
correct case (uppercase or lowercase).
3. Change your password @ http://memberservicesnet.passport.com/memberservice.srf to
something smaller (under 10-12 characters), then try signing in again.
4. If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc. ), it's possible
that Messenger doesn't have the correct rights to access the Internet, especially since you
upgraded. You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed list of programs in your firewall
if this is the case.
5. If you disabled your firewall in the past, it still may be blocking Messenger -- try
restarting it and see if that helps the situation. You also might try uninstalling an
installed firewall, to verify that it isn't causing a problem (even if it is disabled).
6. Clear your IE cache and cookies -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then click the Delete Files button, and when that's complete click the
Delete Cookies button.
7. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check
for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL
3.0' is checked, then click OK.
8. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
then click OK
and do the same for the following:
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
9. If using MSN Messenger 7, click the Tools menu, then Options, then Connection category,
click the Advanced Settings button, uncheck all the options, click OK twice and then try
again.

and

I've had this problem too but after I reset the "Remember me" thing and logged in manually, I logged in fine.. but that's cos I changed my password on the MSN Network prior to do that on the WLM client...

Unicorn99

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Thanks for your post.
Ive completed the first 6. I use mozilla not ie but still cleared the cache and checked
All the dlls ran correctly. Ive tied running on 7.5 and the new live messenger.
Ive tried removing remember me and logging in. Still no luck :(
It is functional for my second account but i dont have any of my contacts on it.
Have you any other suggestions or do you know how i can contact the support team?.
Or is there anyway to access the contacts list without signing in.
Thanks in advance

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
see if you can still login on live.com with the same id and password that your passport was setup with

also try logging on with webmessenger.msn.com

Unicorn99

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Ok I tried everything suggested and it didnt work.
I opened my system this morning and it automatically signed me in. Im still clueless what the issue was but it was obviously with msn,