Intel Virtualization Tech Question

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hello all,

I have looked around a for a little while and cant seem to find a definitive answer. What exactly does Intel's Virtualization Technology do, and what am I losing when I disable it for OC'ing my proc. Will turning it back on boast any gains if I can maintain stability at current settings or is it a useless feature of the processor. Thanks in advance all, I'm limited on time so I will check back later!

Best,

3Ball

brad81987

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello all,

I have looked around a for a little while and cant seem to find a definitive answer. What exactly does Intel's Virtualization Technology do, and what am I losing when I disable it for OC'ing my proc. Will turning it back on boast any gains if I can maintain stability at current settings or is it a useless feature of the processor. Thanks in advance all, I'm limited on time so I will check back later!

Best,

3Ball
My understanding is it's suppose to speed up/optimize the CPU when your running virtulization (ie VMWare). I've been told though that it is actually a hinderence when your only running 32 bit and only helps when your running 64 bit. I've tired it on and off with my T2500 running XP in VMWare Server and didnt really notice a difference. So if you're not running virtual machines, id assume your not loosing anything turning it off

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Ah, good deal. Yea i was reading in another forum and someone mentioned how the E4300/4400's not having VT would cause them to perform worse that the 6x00 series in by meaning of it speeds the proc up in some way or fashion, and I just felt that, that statement was misinformed. Thx for the reply!

Best,

3Ball

Phanboy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Hello all,

Best,

3Ball

Intel's VT is simply a set of new instructions (VMCALL, VMEXIT,etc.) and a new CPU mode (VM). In a nutshell, it allows privileged instructions to run in user-mode, which in turn simply provide an exception to the virtual 'host' (like VMWare) when run. Unless your software uses VT, it will have no impact on your performance. Turning it ON will only positively impact virtualization apps.

bp112

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Yes, as said, VT is suppose to make virtual machines faster, but it is not necessarily true for all Virtual machines.
Enabling VT on some virtual machines may actually slow it down. One such software is Virtual Box.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ

and some reviews and tests:

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/10/01/should-you-enable-intels-vt-x-in-virtualbox/