Need help with USAF pilot jargon

Kerplunk!

:)

Hi there! LTNS!

Need some help preparing radio dialog messages in a mission.

Have a look on this BIS forum thread for details:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=11;t=42353

If possible, reply on the thread there. If you want to share your
response here, that's fine, too!

MaxRes to the regs! ;)
17 answers Last reply
More about need usaf pilot jargon
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Glad to see you're back in action, Avon!

    --Uzi
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Does the lead pilot say that line before or after taxiing down the runway? :P

    "Uziyahu / Clif" <NOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<shs1d.29911$Of3.20956@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>...
    > Glad to see you're back in action, Avon!
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Here are the specifics:

    I'm customizing a mission for OFP and I want to add a professional
    sounding radio communications dialog. Not too much - anywhere from 15
    to 25 radio dialog lines will do.

    The storyline is as follows: there's a Soviet armor base that has to
    be knocked out by aerial assault by 2 A-10s coming in from the west.
    Their weapon of choice for this mission is the Maverick. The player
    starts out in the cockpit, engines off, behind his commander's A-10,
    outside the hangars.

    The enemy base is known to have an assortment of Tanks and APCs. Not
    sure about Shilkas, Tungustas and any shoulder firing AA troops but
    they're bound to have appropriate defenses.

    Once the base's vehicles and defenses are neutralized, a Chinook will
    paratroop infantry into the area to mop up and hold.

    There's an SU27 that will come in from the NE at around the time the
    Chinook is almost at the drop zone. I was thinking of thickening the
    plot by saying that the SU27 broke away from a dogfight to the NE
    between several SU27s and US fighters (example, F14As) - some sort of
    diversion tactic maybe.

    At this point the A10s have to cover for the Chinook. They're equipped
    with 2 AA missiles each and their cannons to fend off the SU27. Should
    they fail to down him, once the Chopper has paradropped its load and
    left, the A10s should scurry back to the airfield in the west, behind
    a line of Vulcan positions guarding the area.

    What I need are dialog lines for:

    Checking planes, starting engines, taxiing and takeoff.

    Post-takeoff dialog between the two pilots.

    Lead pilot notification of approaching the target zone.

    Messages upon detecting various vehicles, such as Tunguskas, Shilkas
    and detection of shoulder fired missiles.

    Messages when firing various A10 armaments:

    GAU 8/A Avenger - GUN
    AGM-65B Maverick - AT
    Hydra-70 HE - AT
    AIM9M Sidewinder - AA
    Mk-82 Low-Drag - BOMB

    Messages while holding around the area or in search and destroy.

    Messages when the Chinook can start moving in.

    Messages when the SU27 is detected and during the ensuing dogfight or
    retreat.

    Messages when Chinook completes drop and flys out.

    Messages when returning to base when mission complete and for landing.

    Messages should the lead A10 get damaged and/or shot down.

    Since we're talking about hogs, I might as well be one and ask for
    more.

    Can you also help me with wording a professional sounding mision
    briefing for this mission. Also suggest callsigns. The arena of
    engagement is the ficticious OFP island of Nogova, which is sort of an
    Eastern European Slavic environment. I've seen a few F4 briefing
    screens and they're very nice.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    The Avon Lady wrote:
    > Here are the specifics:
    >
    > I'm customizing a mission for OFP and I want to add a professional
    > sounding radio communications dialog. Not too much - anywhere from 15
    > to 25 radio dialog lines will do.

    Hi Avon,

    Try an OT post in alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

    They are a nice bunch and there are definitely some regulars in there
    who might be able and willing to help you out.

    --
    Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!
    Fix Outlook Express - http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    Thanks. Posted.

    "Littlemoot" <littlemoot@h0tmail.com> wrote in message news:<2hF1d.440$Vc3.5057671@news-text.cableinet.net>...
    > Hi Avon,
    >
    > Try an OT post in alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
    >
    > They are a nice bunch and there are definitely some regulars in there
    > who might be able and willing to help you out.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    May not be perfect AL, but here is what I can give you, Replies posted
    below:
    --
    Damor <TZW>
    www.timezone-warriors.net

    Death and carnage shall follow me like the rains follow a hurricane. It is
    inevitable....

    "The Avon Lady" <theavonlady@theavonlady.org> wrote in message
    > Here are the specifics:
    >
    > What I need are dialog lines for:
    >
    > Checking planes, starting engines, taxiing and takeoff.
    "Engine running, Checks complete." "Tower request permission for taxi (HOG31
    and 32, request approved, taxi to runway 25 right), tower request permission
    for launch", "HOG 31 and 32, takeoff approved on runway 25 right)" After
    launch from tower, "HOG 31, continue to TACAN 251 and contact Spark 53 on
    push 741 over," "Roger tower, HOG 31 out"

    > Post-takeoff dialog between the two pilots.
    "Usually just basic chat about tactics, Lead attack first with guns, two
    follow with with maverick on first pass, second pass will be lead with mavs
    and two with guns"

    > Lead pilot notification of approaching the target zone.
    "Weapons HOT (indicates weapons are now armed), Searching for target, Hog
    32, go combat spread (the spread means to seperate the planes for tactical
    reasons"

    > Messages upon detecting various vehicles, such as Tunguskas, Shilkas
    > and detection of shoulder fired missiles.
    Once detected, a pilot will "BREAK RIGHT or LEFT" according to the direction
    of missile launch, after initial break command, the pilot who saw it will
    notify the other of the direction of launch. Then in a self preservation
    mode, they may attack that sight if required.

    > Messages when firing various A10 armaments:
    >
    > GAU 8/A Avenger - GUN
    "GUNS GUNS GUNS"

    > AGM-65B Maverick - AT
    "Maverick away"

    > Hydra-70 HE - AT
    "rockets away"

    > AIM9M Sidewinder - AA
    Fox *: "Fox 1," "Fox 2" or "Fox 3" may be called by a pilot upon firing a
    missile. Each pre-determined number stands for a different missile type.

    > Mk-82 Low-Drag - BOMB
    Lead (identifies lead aircraft), PICKLE (Indicates bomb release) 1 (number
    of bombs released), Trail (identifies number 2 aircraft/wingman) PICKLE 2

    > Messages while holding around the area or in search and destroy.

    > Messages when the Chinook can start moving in.
    "Target area cleared, ingress at this time Hoppy 45, HOG 31 at angels 12,
    will orbit 2 miles north of target area"

    > Messages when the SU27 is detected and during the ensuing dogfight or
    > retreat.
    BOGEY (nickname for enemy aircraft) at 12 O'Clock (direction) Angels 10
    (altitude in thousands)

    > Messages when Chinook completes drop and flys out.
    ????

    > Messages when returning to base when mission complete and for landing.
    Mission complete: HOG 31 RTB (return to Base) at this time.
    Landing: Tower, request clearance for landing

    > Messages should the lead A10 get damaged and/or shot down.
    MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY, HOG 31 (callsign) Engine down, going in (problem),
    Request immmediate SAR (Extra info if possible)

    > Since we're talking about hogs, I might as well be one and ask for
    > more.
    A10 Callsigns almost always refer to the name HOG, so go with something like
    HOG 31 and 32, for a two ship mission, they almost always use consecutive
    callsign numbers.

    > Can you also help me with wording a professional sounding mision
    > briefing for this mission. Also suggest callsigns. The arena of
    > engagement is the ficticious OFP island of Nogova, which is sort of an
    > Eastern European Slavic environment. I've seen a few F4 briefing
    > screens and they're very nice.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    The Avon Lady wrote:
    > Thanks. Posted.

    Was worth a try I thought as there are a few ex fighter pilots on there,
    they seem to be a bit quiet though :(

    --
    Muttley!! Doooooo Something!!
    Fix Outlook Express - http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    as recommended by your friendly neighbourhood MeltDown.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Avon Lady, did this help?

    --

    "Damor <TZW>" <damor@NOSPAMHEREtimezone-warriors.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > Mission complete: HOG 31 RTB (return to Base) at this time.
    > Landing: Tower, request clearance for landing
    >

    >> Messages should the lead A10 get damaged and/or shot down.
    > MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY, HOG 31 (callsign) Engine down, going in (problem),
    > Request immmediate SAR (Extra info if possible)
    >

    >> Since we're talking about hogs, I might as well be one and ask for
    >> more.
    > A10 Callsigns almost always refer to the name HOG, so go with something
    > like HOG 31 and 32, for a two ship mission, they almost always use
    > consecutive callsign numbers.
    >

    >> Can you also help me with wording a professional sounding mision
    >> briefing for this mission. Also suggest callsigns. The arena of
    >> engagement is the ficticious OFP island of Nogova, which is sort of an
    >> Eastern European Slavic environment. I've seen a few F4 briefing

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Much appreciated. I'll take a lot out of this. Thanks.

    Avon

    "Damor <TZW>" <damor@NOSPAMHEREtimezone-warriors.net> wrote in message news:<P972d.68434$Kt5.43609@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
    > May not be perfect AL, but here is what I can give you
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Anytime AL. If you need anything else, let me know...
    --

    > Much appreciated. I'll take a lot out of this. Thanks.
    >
    > Avon
    >
    > "Damor <TZW>" <damor@NOSPAMHEREtimezone-warriors.net> wrote in message
    >> May not be perfect AL, but here is what I can give you
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    OK. I'm progressing. Comments appreciated and some help still needed
    filling in the points marked ????????

    ********Checking planes, starting engines, taxiing and takeoff.

    P7: Polecat8, check in when ready.

    P8: Eight, engine running. Checks complete.

    P7: Polecat7 to Caslav tower, we are a flight of 2 requesting taxi
    instructions.

    CT: Polecat7 you are cleared to runway 1. Hold short. You are number 1
    for takeoff. Winds are out of the south 5 knots. It is 20 degrees.

    P7: Caslav tower, Polecat7 holding short runway 1.

    CT: Polecat7, Caslav tower, your are cleared for takeoff runway 1.
    Good day sir.

    P8: Caslav tower, Polecat8 holding short runway 1.

    CT: Polecat8, Caslav tower, your are cleared for takeoff runway 1.
    Good day, ma'am.

    ********Post-takeoff dialog between the two pilots.

    P7: Eight, fall in trail. Follow me to the active.

    ********Lead pilot notification of approaching the target zone.

    P7: Polecat8, weapons hot - expedite! Searching for target. Go combat
    spread, as fragged.

    ********Messages upon detecting various vehicles, such as Tunguskas,
    Shilkas and detection of shoulder fired missiles.

    ????????

    ********Messages when firing various A10 armaments:

    GAU 8/A Avenger - GUN:
    "GUNS GUNS GUNS"

    AGM-65B Maverick - AT:
    "Maverick away"

    Hydra-70 HE - AT:
    "rockets away"

    AIM9M Sidewinder - AA:
    "Fox 2"

    ********Messages while holding around the area or in search and
    destroy.

    ????????

    ******** Messages when the Chinook can start moving in.

    P8: Hoppy 45 from Polecat8, target area cleared, ingress at this time.
    Polecat8 at angels 1, anchored at target area.

    H45: Roger, ingressing. ********* NOT HAPPY WITH THIS ********

    ********Messages when the SU27 is detected and during the ensuing
    dogfight or retreat.

    P7: One bandit down the slot from northeast, angels 3, closing.

    P8: Polecat8 engaged offensive! Tally two, right two, one mile, high!

    ********Messages when Chinook completes drop and flys out.

    ????????

    ********Messages when returning to base when mission complete and for
    landing.

    P8: Polecat8, Caslov tower mission complete. RTB at this time.

    P8: Caslov tower, Polecat8 inbound. Request clearance for landing.

    CT: Caslov tower, Polecat8 clearance granted. Descend to 300.

    CT: Polecat8, check gear down.

    ********Messages should the lead A10 get damaged and/or shot down.

    P8: Polecat7, you're on fire! Eject! Eject! Eject!

    P7: Copy. MAYDAY! MAYDAY! MAYDAY! Polecat7 engine down, going in.
    Request immmediate SAR!

    P8: Polecat8 to RedTail5, need a SAR 2 miles southeat of our target
    area.

    ********Messages should the player's A10 get damaged and/or shot down.

    P8: I'm hit! Master caution and fire lights are on. Ejecting.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    AL, let me know if this works for you.....Responses below....

    --

    > OK. I'm progressing. Comments appreciated and some help still needed
    > filling in the points marked ????????
    >
    > ********Checking planes, starting engines, taxiing and takeoff.

    Runway number indicates the direction ion degrees the runway is oriented.
    runway 90 right, is also runway 270 left. According to how you takeoff and
    land.

    > P7: Polecat8, check in when ready.
    >
    > P8: Eight, engine running. Checks complete.
    >
    > P7: Polecat7 to Caslav tower, we are a flight of 2 requesting taxi
    > instructions.
    >
    > CT: Polecat7 you are cleared to runway 1. Hold short. You are number 1
    > for takeoff. Winds are out of the south 5 knots. It is 20 degrees.
    >
    > P7: Caslav tower, Polecat7 holding short runway 1.
    >
    > CT: Polecat7, Caslav tower, your are cleared for takeoff runway 1.
    > Good day sir.
    >
    > P8: Caslav tower, Polecat8 holding short runway 1.
    >
    > CT: Polecat8, Caslav tower, your are cleared for takeoff runway 1.
    > Good day, ma'am.
    >

    > ********Post-takeoff dialog between the two pilots.

    maybe replace active with IP (Initial point) or CP (Contact point) these are
    the points where the pilots begin thier attack runs and establish
    communications with thier controlling agency respectively.

    > P7: Eight, fall in trail. Follow me to the active.
    >

    > ********Lead pilot notification of approaching the target zone.
    >
    > P7: Polecat8, weapons hot - expedite! Searching for target. Go combat
    > spread, as fragged.
    >

    > ********Messages upon detecting various vehicles, such as Tunguskas,
    > Shilkas and detection of shoulder fired missiles.

    SAM radar, 3 o'clock, 5 miles
    SAM SAM SAM, Break Right, 3 o'clock, 5 miles
    Engage SAM threat, SA-7 or whatever at 3 o'clock, 5 miles
    > ????????
    >

    > ********Messages when firing various A10 armaments:
    >
    > GAU 8/A Avenger - GUN:
    > "GUNS GUNS GUNS"
    >
    > AGM-65B Maverick - AT:
    > "Maverick away"
    >
    > Hydra-70 HE - AT:
    > "rockets away"
    >
    > AIM9M Sidewinder - AA:
    > "Fox 2"
    >

    > ********Messages while holding around the area or in search and
    > destroy.

    Polecat7 holding Kill Box (a kill box is a target area sdesignaterd as a
    free fire zone for pilots) Echo, Scanning for targets of opportunity

    > ????????
    >

    > ******** Messages when the Chinook can start moving in.
    >
    > P8: Hoppy 45 from Polecat8, target area cleared, ingress at this time.
    > Polecat8 at angels 1, anchored at target area.
    >
    > H45: Roger, ingressing. ********* NOT HAPPY WITH THIS ********

    "Not happy with this" you are not happy, or the pilot???

    > ********Messages when the SU27 is detected and during the ensuing
    > dogfight or retreat.
    >
    > P7: One bandit down the slot from northeast, angels 3, closing.
    >
    > P8: Polecat8 engaged offensive! Tally two, right two, one mile, high!
    >

    > ********Messages when Chinook completes drop and flys out.

    Polecat 8, Cargo deployed and preparing to RTB this time, request cover
    status

    Helo, we have bogeys at ???
    Helo, all clear this time....
    > ????????
    >

    > ********Messages when returning to base when mission complete and for
    > landing.
    >
    > P8: Polecat8, Caslov tower mission complete. RTB at this time.
    >
    > P8: Caslov tower, Polecat8 inbound. Request clearance for landing.
    >
    > CT: Caslov tower, Polecat8 clearance granted. Descend to 300.
    >
    > CT: Polecat8, check gear down.
    >

    > ********Messages should the lead A10 get damaged and/or shot down.
    >
    > P8: Polecat7, you're on fire! Eject! Eject! Eject!
    >
    > P7: Copy. MAYDAY! MAYDAY! MAYDAY! Polecat7 engine down, going in.
    > Request immmediate SAR!
    >
    > P8: Polecat8 to RedTail5, need a SAR 2 miles southeat of our target
    > area.
    >

    > ********Messages should the player's A10 get damaged and/or shot down.
    >
    > P8: I'm hit! Master caution and fire lights are on. Ejecting.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Once again, thanks. A few final touches and it should be ready.

    > > P8: Hoppy 45 from Polecat8, target area cleared, ingress at this time.
    > > Polecat8 at angels 1, anchored at target area.
    > >
    > > H45: Roger, ingressing. ********* NOT HAPPY WITH THIS ********
    > >
    > "Not happy with this" you are not happy, or the pilot???

    I am not happy with the chopper pilot's response of "roger,
    ingressing". Would that be a sufficient response?

    > > ********Messages when Chinook completes drop and flys out.
    > >

    > Polecat 8, Cargo deployed and preparing to RTB this time, request cover
    > status
    >
    > Helo, we have bogeys at ???

    Would this be an OK response to the helo:

    P7/8: Hoppy45, engaging lone bandit over CP at angels 1. Stand by.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > Once again, thanks. A few final touches and it should be ready.
    >
    >> > P8: Hoppy 45 from Polecat8, target area cleared, ingress at this time.
    >> > Polecat8 at angels 1, anchored at target area.
    >> >
    >> > H45: Roger, ingressing. ********* NOT HAPPY WITH THIS ********
    >> >
    >> "Not happy with this" you are not happy, or the pilot???
    >
    > I am not happy with the chopper pilot's response of "roger,
    > ingressing". Would that be a sufficient response?

    Remember that the most important thing for pilot to pilot communications is
    brevity, the shorter the transmit time, the more time available to fly.
    Pilots don't want to be come overburdened with lengthy talk procerdures,
    thats why there are so many code words. So, the ingress call would work,
    they may even use a fragged code word for that too.

    "roger polecats, H45 dragon at this time"....But your players would not
    understand that though...

    >> > ********Messages when Chinook completes drop and flys out.
    >> >

    >> Polecat 8, Cargo deployed and preparing to RTB this time, request cover
    >> status
    >>
    >> Helo, we have bogeys at ???
    >
    > Would this be an OK response to the helo:
    >
    > P7/8: Hoppy45, engaging lone bandit over CP at angels 1. Stand by.

    Yes looks very good to me.....
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Damor <TZW>" <damor@NOSPAMHEREtimezone-warriors.net> wrote in message news:<lLy3d.76092$Kt5.56515@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
    > "roger polecats, H45 dragon at this time"....But your players would not
    > understand that though...

    Neither do I! I've Googled high and low for the use of "dragon" in
    military brevity codes but came up empty. What does it mean?

    I'll still use it BTW. Live and learn.

    And again, muchos grassias, as Riz would say. :P

    Avon
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    I just made up Dragon to make a point. It could be anything that the
    military forces going into that area determine. It may be a code word that
    is changed every day (24 hours) or even every 4 hours...The idea is to keep
    the enemy off of the trail..

    Glad I could be of assistance. As always, just wish I could get into a game
    of OFP.
    --

    > "Damor <TZW>" <damor@NOSPAMHEREtimezone-warriors.net> wrote in message
    >> "roger polecats, H45 dragon at this time"....But your players would not
    >> understand that though...
    >
    > Neither do I! I've Googled high and low for the use of "dragon" in
    > military brevity codes but came up empty. What does it mean?
    >
    > I'll still use it BTW. Live and learn.
    >
    > And again, muchos grassias, as Riz would say. :P
    >
    > Avon
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    I knew I forgot something.

    If the lead pilot is downed, who does the remaining pilot communicate
    with about the ongoing mission events?

    I would need a dialog for that after the remaining pilot has radioed
    in about the downed plane with the following messages:

    **********
    POLECAT8: Roger, 7. I see you now. You're on fire! Get out of there.
    Eject! Eject!

    POLECAT7: OK, 8, I'm punching out. Make the call for me. MARK!

    POLECAT8: Polecat8 to Redtail5, need a SAR 2 miles southeast of
    designated target area.

    POLECAT8: RedTail5 this is Polecat8 on GUARD. MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY.

    REDTAIL5: Polecat8, Redtail5. Roger your MAYDAY. Autenticate XRAY
    TANGO.

    POLECAT8: Redtail5, Polecat8. Autentication is ECHO.

    REDTAIL5: Roger Polecat, go CSAR button 8.

    POLECAT8: Redtial5, Polecat8 is up on CSAR 8.

    REDTAIL5: Roger Polecat, go ahead.

    POLECAT8: Polecat7 is down 2 Kilo East of Anchor Bravo. Good Chute.
    Pokey8 is on station with 40 mintues play time.

    REDTAIL5: Roger Polecat, copy that. RedTail5 moving out now, will
    advise ETA.

    Now Polecat8 is flying the mission solo. Anyone to talk to as far as
    mission progress?

Games Radio Dialog Video Games