drivers for iPaq rx3115?

a b \ Driver
July 14, 2005 1:14:31 AM

I recently got a great deal on a refurbed rx3115. It came with all the
software so it was easy to set up. I bought a charging/sync cable to
leave at work so I can use it there, but I need drivers so the unit is
recognized and can't find the drivers either on the CD or on line. My
PC at work doesn't have a CD drive so I can't use the install CD. I've
been to the HP site and navigated to the rx3115, and found downloads
there, but not either the original drivers or updates for the drivers.
That seems weird. Where else should I look?
WC

More about : drivers ipaq rx3115

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 14, 2005 1:14:32 AM

Check this out...

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us...

"WCH" <DELwhexeterETE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o dqdna1wSYfrIUjfRVn-uA@comcast.com...
>I recently got a great deal on a refurbed rx3115. It came with all the
>software so it was easy to set up. I bought a charging/sync cable to leave
>at work so I can use it there, but I need drivers so the unit is recognized
>and can't find the drivers either on the CD or on line. My PC at work
>doesn't have a CD drive so I can't use the install CD. I've been to the HP
>site and navigated to the rx3115, and found downloads there, but not either
>the original drivers or updates for the drivers. That seems weird. Where
>else should I look?
> WC
July 14, 2005 6:07:39 AM

Not sure what drivers you mean. I think what you need is to install
activesync which will help the "cable" recognize the PPC.

"WCH" <DELwhexeterETE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o dqdna1wSYfrIUjfRVn-uA@comcast.com...
>I recently got a great deal on a refurbed rx3115. It came with all the
>software so it was easy to set up. I bought a charging/sync cable to leave
>at work so I can use it there, but I need drivers so the unit is recognized
>and can't find the drivers either on the CD or on line. My PC at work
>doesn't have a CD drive so I can't use the install CD. I've been to the HP
>site and navigated to the rx3115, and found downloads there, but not either
>the original drivers or updates for the drivers. That seems weird. Where
>else should I look?
> WC
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 14, 2005 11:31:47 AM

Chris wrote:
> Not sure what drivers you mean. I think what you need is to install
> activesync which will help the "cable" recognize the PPC.
>
> "WCH" <DELwhexeterETE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o dqdna1wSYfrIUjfRVn-uA@comcast.com...
>
>>I recently got a great deal on a refurbed rx3115. It came with all the
>>software so it was easy to set up. I bought a charging/sync cable to leave
>>at work so I can use it there, but I need drivers so the unit is recognized
>>and can't find the drivers either on the CD or on line. My PC at work
>>doesn't have a CD drive so I can't use the install CD. I've been to the HP
>>site and navigated to the rx3115, and found downloads there, but not either
>>the original drivers or updates for the drivers. That seems weird. Where
>>else should I look?
>>WC

ActiveSync is already installed on my work PC, as I set it up to sync
with my Toshiba e755. To set up the Toshiba, after I installed
ActiveSync I went to the Toshiba website and found USB drivers for the
e755. Downloaded them, ran the executable, and then the device was
recognized. But when I plug in my rx3115 it isn't recognized and the
system asks for drivers to help identify what type of USB device it is.
Without a CD drive I can't bring in the install disk and do a fresh
install, which I assume would provide drivers and such needed for the
device to be recognized. That's why I need to find rx3115 drivers.
WC
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 14, 2005 3:21:07 PM

> ActiveSync is already installed on my work PC, as I set it up to sync with
> my Toshiba e755. To set up the Toshiba, after I installed ActiveSync I
> went to the Toshiba website and found USB drivers for the e755.
> Downloaded them, ran the executable, and then the device was recognized.
> But when I plug in my rx3115 it isn't recognized and the system asks for
> drivers to help identify what type of USB device it is. Without a CD drive
> I can't bring in the install disk and do a fresh install, which I assume
> would provide drivers and such needed for the device to be recognized.
> That's why I need to find rx3115 drivers.
> WC

Uninstall the current mess you have with Active Sync, then reinstall. The
toshiba USB driver is probably your problem, since it seems to be the only
difference with a typical AS install. The standard use with a rx3115 and a
PC requires no drivers, just Active Sync. If you do not have Active Sync
for a fresh install it can be downloaded from Microsoft, no CD required. IF
you can't get it working after that do a hard reset of the device, but I
have had a 3115 in a really bad state and the AS connection still function
(well, at least as well as it ever does..)

IMHO you need to focus on the problem of AS not working properly, not
drivers.

Good Luck
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 14, 2005 7:03:13 PM

From another thread WCH wrote:

> I bought a sync/charging cable which, when I use it, does not recognize
> the 3115 as a specific device but as an Unknown USB device for which it
> can't find drivers.

Hey - I missed the alternate cable part. I had an aftermarket cable that I
used with a ipaq 3835. Cool cable, cheap price, allowed you to charge off
the USB. Now, when I tried it with the 3115 it would cause the unit to
continously connect and disconnect, even flashing the screen. However, the
3115 cable works with the 3835 just fine. I did a pin runout, everything
checked out, but still no go. I finally chalked it up to plug
misalignment/oem tolerances exceeded and resolved to not use the cheap cable
with the new unit. I'm no saying that is the issue per se, just curious if
it could be a cable issue after all. Do you have another cable to try? I
would keep it as a last-ditch longshot, but given my own experiences it is
not out of the realm of possiblity.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 15, 2005 3:14:37 AM

Actually each PPC or brand/family does need USB drivers. Fortunately most
are contained and installed with the ActiveSync download found at Microsoft,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/defaul... . Go for AS
3.8. Not all OEM distributions support everyone else's devices. Certainly it
is possible that the OEM distribution you have loaded doesn't support a
device that didn't even exist at the time.

I'd suggest just getting the AS 3.8 download from MS and reloading with
that. My 3715 worked fine with that installation.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message

> "WCH" <DELwhexeterETE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> ActiveSync is already installed on my work PC, as I set it up to sync
>> with my Toshiba e755. To set up the Toshiba, after I installed
>> ActiveSync I went to the Toshiba website and found USB drivers for the
>> e755. Downloaded them, ran the executable, and then the device was
>> recognized. But when I plug in my rx3115 it isn't recognized and the
>> system asks for drivers to help identify what type of USB device it is.
>> Without a CD drive I can't bring in the install disk and do a fresh
>> install, which I assume would provide drivers and such needed for the
>> device to be recognized. That's why I need to find rx3115 drivers.
>> WC
>

> Uninstall the current mess you have with Active Sync, then reinstall. The
> toshiba USB driver is probably your problem, since it seems to be the only
> difference with a typical AS install. The standard use with a rx3115 and a
> PC requires no drivers, just Active Sync. If you do not have Active Sync
> for a fresh install it can be downloaded from Microsoft, no CD required.
> IF you can't get it working after that do a hard reset of the device, but
> I have had a 3115 in a really bad state and the AS connection still
> function (well, at least as well as it ever does..)
>
> IMHO you need to focus on the problem of AS not working properly, not
> drivers.
>
> Good Luck

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 15, 2005 9:22:29 AM

Reply to message from "Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> (Fri, 15 Jul 2005
01:14:37) about "Re: drivers for iPaq rx3115?":

> Actually each PPC or brand/family does need USB drivers. Fortunately
> most are contained and installed with the ActiveSync download found at
> Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/ windowsmobile/downloads/default.
> mspx .
'
I guess I should have been more technicaly correct and stated:

"The standard use with a rx3115 and a PC requires no ADDITIONAL drivers,
just Active Sync."
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 15, 2005 11:04:05 AM

xTenn wrote:
> Reply to message from "Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> (Fri, 15 Jul 2005
> 01:14:37) about "Re: drivers for iPaq rx3115?":
>
> > Actually each PPC or brand/family does need USB drivers. Fortunately
> > most are contained and installed with the ActiveSync download found at
> > Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/ windowsmobile/downloads/default.
> > mspx .
> '
> I guess I should have been more technicaly correct and stated:
>
> "The standard use with a rx3115 and a PC requires no ADDITIONAL drivers,
> just Active Sync."

Thank you for this information thread. This has been VERY helpful. I
am also following up on a suggestion from a nearby thread (from xTenn)
that my aftermarket sync/charger cable may be defective. Will take time
to verify as I only have one, but a viable variable to explore.
Thanks again --
WC
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 15, 2005 1:46:15 PM

Well, it actually does require additional stuff. It's just that the MS
download of AS typically contains it. You can certainly install 'just'
ActiveSync and not support any PPCs. There is a file in the install,
wceusbsh.inf, which defines what devices are supported and determines what
drivers are loaded. There were some instances some time back when even the
MS download didn't support everything that was current. That caused some
interesting problems when folks got a brand new PPC, went and downloaded the
latest AS from MS and it didn't work. Their previous install of AS didn't
support their new device, and neither did the MS download. They had to
install the OEM copy of AS to get the drivers and then upgrade from the MS
download. I wouldn't make the statement that the MS AS download supports
every PPC out there today, but it certainly does support the rx3115.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
> Reply to message from "Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> (Fri, 15 Jul 2005
> 01:14:37) about "Re: drivers for iPaq rx3115?":
>
> > Actually each PPC or brand/family does need USB drivers. Fortunately
> > most are contained and installed with the ActiveSync download found at
> > Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/ windowsmobile/downloads/default.
> > mspx .
> '
> I guess I should have been more technicaly correct and stated:
>
> "The standard use with a rx3115 and a PC requires no ADDITIONAL drivers,
> just Active Sync."
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 15, 2005 6:11:00 PM

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, it actually does require additional stuff. It's just that the MS
> download of AS typically contains it. You can certainly install 'just'
> ActiveSync and not support any PPCs.

From a procedural standpoint (which is where advice on what to do tends to
originate, focus on the "do" part), I think we are saying the same thing.

About the incompatibilites with AS versions - yes, that was a nightmare.I
think that is still one reason I tend to not use a lot of the Active Sync
features, relying instead on 3rd party and my own stuff. Changes burned me
too many times in the past.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 15, 2005 7:25:08 PM

"WCH" <DELwhexeterETE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D t-dnbyx-re_BUrfRVn-qA@comcast.com...

> Thank you for this information thread. This has been VERY helpful. I am
> also following up on a suggestion from a nearby thread (from xTenn) that
> my aftermarket sync/charger cable may be defective. Will take time to
> verify as I only have one, but a viable variable to explore.
> Thanks again --
> WC

In the meanwhile if the PC is a laptop with a IR port maybe you could try
connecting via IR? This might help to eliminate the variable of the
USB/cable, or at least do as a workaround in the meanwhile *if* it works.

Not sure if you have done so, but to connect this way open AS on the PPC,
then go to tools\connect via IR. Just make sure the ports (top of the PPC
to the IR port on the PC) are lined up.
!