talos76

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Hello everyone,

after using an anti-spyware software (Spyware terminator) i noticed when the pc rebooted that some desktop icons had disappeared, most of my windows settings and bookmarks as well. From what I understand Windows created a new user account in which windows log in every time (no password) using the same user name as my previous account. Under C:\Documents and Settings I can see my previous account – profile file (name: Owner) intact and the one Windows XP are using now (name: Owner.USER.MYPxxxxx sth).
Is it possible to use again that old account and erase the new (both have administrator privileges)? System restore, Automatic updates etc are set to off since … ever.
How can this be done? Boot in windows safe mode, copy all files from the older account to the new one and erase the old one? Just erase the new one and tweak sth inside the registry? If I install SP2 will this solve automatically this issue?
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Laptop – Clevo D400V
SIS 768 based mobo
CPU Intel P4 2.8 Ghz
512 MB RAM
Ati mobility Radeon 9600 pro (m10 -128mb)
Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (English)

Antispyware should not be making those changes.
If you want to log in automatically without a password, type control userpassword2 at the run command and select the user you want to use.
Your old settings and preferences should still be there.
If this is not what you want, please describe the login process you see when you start up Windows.
System restore and automatic updates needs to be manually set to on.

talos76

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Hello evongugg,

thank you for your reply. Actually, there is no login process at all. I just boot
the pc and it automatically loads into Windows XP desktop without any passwords or user selections. The user name is the same as before, only now
the desktop is different, all the settings and my bookmarks are lost.
When i go to my accounts i can see my username (which hadn't changed) and guest.
I can see under C:\Documents and Settings my old profile, in one piece (everything there) - file name: Owner and the new file windows created: Owner.USER.MYPxxxx <-numbers which is where i automatically login every time i boot now.
I'm wondering how can i return to the previous state since i always had system restore off. Copying the old user file to the new one and erase the old one or erase the new one and tweak sth in the registry?

Laptop – Clevo D400V
SIS 768 based mobo
CPU Intel P4 2.8 Ghz
512 MB RAM
Ati mobility Radeon 9600 pro (m10 -128mb)
Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (English)

TRENDING THREADS