Lee768

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Have just got new intel core 2 cpu and board and mem, but can't get updates after a clean install. With my old system i had a recent image which had a few updates and i cud select manage add-ons in IE under tools and deactivate gen advantage. Now i don't have option in internet explorer and have searched lots of peoples solutions,normally to find they don't work anymore. i can see why microsoft have done this , am close to buying windows xp home but this is the only disc i got with my cpu and unfortunately it is a copy. has any1 got a recent page with something that works? or is this type of thing not open to disscussion in a forum?

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Probably the latter - I had to suffer in silence with the two PCs in my house with copied XP PRO. My main PC I put MCE 2005 which I had to BUY - goes against every moral fibre in my body but I guess now that I can get the updates on the most important PC, I can sleep easy at night!

Microsoft have cottoned on to this workaround and they only offer critical updates for those with no Genuine copies of Windows. Now they are making validation compulsory for those who want to get extras and goodies to Windows. However be careful that you don't get lumbered with a Windows Genuine Advantage Check which will keep popping up in the bottom right corner of your screen lol.

I would google the issue to be safe - I doubt that the forum takes too kindly to those who don't buy their software!! Or keep this post up and see if there is somebody out there who will lend a helping hand.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
i'll say this before the post gets locked, you're not looking hard enough for a crack, look on some bittorrent sites, there are workarounds

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You don't have to buy a brand new copy.

Call MS, and tell them that you made too many major hardware changes (installing on virtually a brand new comp) for your legit key to be accepted. You would like to purchase a "discounted" new key.

connectionwizard

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Just go to this site I built, http://connectionwizard.comoj.com/ there are the programs you need (FREE) and full instructions telling you how to install and uninstall them. When you are done you will be able to get you updates again, your machine will be like you first bought it as well. Take Care