Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
A friend of mine purchased an HP A1528x-b bundle a few months back. It has XP Media Center I believe. Anyway, it recently started getting an Low Disk Space warning (only 32mb free) for the D: Recovery Drive. I figured he had downloaded something/moved a file into it or something was logging to it. But it wouldn't even let me access the D: drive partition. I did the online chat with HP and it was full of bogus, straight from the manual answers. Is doing a clean install the only solution?

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
if D is your recovery then don't worry about it, if it was C filling up, then i'd be worried...you can actually turn off the damn warning for full disk space

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
you can actually turn off the damn warning for full disk space

Yes, that's what I did. But it is still popping up after restarting (maybe I didn't press "apply"). My ? to the live chat support person was that if D: is inaccessible to anyone...how is it running out of space all of the sudden.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
isn't the recovery roon on "D" running out because the space your friend is using is getting larger and larger thus the recovery has to hold more and more info?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Do you, or your friend, have a copy of XP Media Center?

He most likely didn't get any discs at all. Lovely HP and their Recovery partitions - to better serve us. All this so HP can cut down on their tech support staff budget and save $3 or so for the processing of cd's for each unit.
Bottom line foolish, because they turned a lot of people off. Future business from the main stream public will plummet. Not a big fan.

Even though your friend has turned off XP's Restore system, I'd be willing to guess that HP has set something up behind the scene to add images to that partition. Has to be a reason why it's expanding with no one knowing why. Would like to hear from techies with more intimate knowledge than I. Reworked a couple dozen of these last two years because the business customer wasn't happy about the support hassle of these setups.

How big is that "D" drive? The one's I've come across were 8g. And, how long has he had the unit? With only 32mb left - that's close to an additional 4-5g been written since new. Is this machine becoming a problem?

As to accessing the "D" drive, he has documentation to walk you through it.