I need a special type of keyboard...

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Ok.. I play games, and one of the ones I like to play is Asheron's Call.

Reason being is that it has the best PvP of any game on the market. You can actually dodge spells/force spells... a lot of other things (if you're interested, check out some vids at http://dt.acpvp.com ).

Now, casting, dodging, and forcing spells all at the same time means that I'm trying to use a LOT of keys at the same time. My current keyboard limits me from being able to to this (a saitek eclipse). I love my keyboard for a lot of reasons, and I was wondering if there was a keyboard out there w/this kind of quality, and a higher key lock.

Thanks!

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I haven't really looked at anything, because I didn't know where to look!! heh.

I'm really not looking for a lot of extra gaming functionality, just the ability to simultaneously hit several keys. I like a simple keyboard, and I like the led look of the saitek eclipse, but I don't like the fact that I can only hit 3 keys at the same time :/.

Thank you for your reply though!

xaat_kil

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
That DX1 looks like a promising little device. If they could come up with a slider control, I'd definitely get one for an audio mixer, though its photoshop prowess may make it worthwhile, and it'd fit right in with my graphics tablet. Cool find.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
If what you want is more buttons at the same time, I'd suggest the Razer Tarantula. Each key is on its own individual circuit, so you can actually press up to 6 keys at once without dropping a keystroke or losing accuracy. Also, it feels phenomenal. Think about one of the old IBM spring-loaded keyboards, then imagine that feel on the travel of a notebook keyboard. This keyset is literally the best membrane-based keyboard I've ever owned.

Also has macroing capability. Amazon has it for $80, on newegg.com it's actually a bit more expensive. I just got it earlier this week and it's great, to me it's worth every penny.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I would have to recommend the G15 as well. I bought the board when the first came out and I love it. I really came in handy in WOW playing a warlock. I setup all my G keys to different things from curses, to drinking pots to bandages. But just my opinion on it. ;-)

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I would have to recommend the G15 as well. I bought the board when the first came out and I love it. I really came in handy in WOW playing a warlock. I setup all my G keys to different things from curses, to drinking pots to bandages. But just my opinion on it. ;-)

So did I. The nice thing I think is, that you can set that up on the fly. press memory button, press desired Macro key, type macro. this can even be set to timed input... And you got the display. lots of games support that. Very freely configurable also.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
YourMother'sAnAstronaut... thanks for that suggestion! I looked it up on newegg and it says you can actually have 10 keys pressed at the same time!

To everyone else...

PLEASE READ THE THREAD!!!! LOL!!

You guys are suggesting some really cool keyboards, but it's not necessarily what I want! I am looking for something w/the look and feel of a saitek eclipse, but a keyboard that I can press multiple keys at the same time!!!!!

The Saitek craps out at 3 keys, as do most conventional boards. This is not enough for me!

Upon reading through every page of over 12 different reviews on the G15 keyboard, I still have not found how many simultaneous keys it supports... so if someone could clue me in, that would be great!!

If anyone else can suggest another keyboard that has the look and feel of a saitek eclipse and one in which you can depress multiple keys, I'd appreciate that as well!

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
YourMother'sAnAstronaut... thanks for that suggestion! I looked it up on newegg and it says you can actually have 10 keys pressed at the same time!

To everyone else...

PLEASE READ THE THREAD!!!! LOL!!

You guys are suggesting some really cool keyboards, but it's not necessarily what I want! I am looking for something w/the look and feel of a saitek eclipse, but a keyboard that I can press multiple keys at the same time!!!!!

The Saitek craps out at 3 keys, as do most conventional boards. This is not enough for me!

Upon reading through every page of over 12 different reviews on the G15 keyboard, I still have not found how many simultaneous keys it supports... so if someone could clue me in, that would be great!!

If anyone else can suggest another keyboard that has the look and feel of a saitek eclipse and one in which you can depress multiple keys, I'd appreciate that as well!

I'll drop you a line when I get home and let you know. You know you can macro all the keys you need to push to a set of keys instead of pushing all those buttons at once. Might save you some trouble but I'll let you know about how many keys you can press at once when I get home.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
heh.. you should watch one of the vids...

you can't macro this.. it's dynamic. you have strafe right/strafe left/turn right/turn left/back/forward/cast keys and you have to hit them all at various times based on what's going on. If you see an opening, force the spell.. if you need to dodge, strafe. If you're already casting and need to doge (which you should be casting 100% of the time), then you need to force the spell and do a key combo to strafe out of the way.

Gets pretty intense. I keep wondering why the heck I get hung up some times, and then I heard someone mentioning that the siatek has a 3 key lock.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I've played MMO's since the days of muds and I know what your saying. I keep forgetting to check an actual keystroke limit when I go home but I'm pretty sure you can do more then three. I've never played AC I was in my EQ phase then but I don't forsee you having any problems. You might want to check the AC forums to see what kinda boards they are using on there just to be on the safe side.

Ok from my google work I've read that most people are saying that the G15 can recognize 6 keystrokes at once. Hope this helps goodluck either way in your keyboard selection.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Actually, it's a recent thing I figured out. I've been playing AC since 2000.

I've used other keyboards and could do fine... but then I took a long hiatus from AC for about a year and a half. I noticed that ever since I came back, I can't do a cast worth anything anymore. I figured it was just because I was rusty, but someone mentioned a keylock thing in a post... so I loaded AC up, and sure enough, THAT was the problem every single time.

Now I know the problem, I just don't know how to fix it :/.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Well, from what I read it can accept 6 keystrokes but until I go home and try and check it I won't attest to that 100%. But either way I hope you find one that fits your need.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I tried the six thing with my g15 and that seems correct.

I held down 1 and it recorded 1's. I then added 2 and it recorded 2's etc.etc. While it was recording 6's I added 7 and nothing happened.

That is my keyboard benchmark.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Update on my quest:

Called Logitech:
G15 only offers 3 max simultaneous keys, but they've had several people ask that question, so they're looking to implement more in the future

Called Siatek:
saitek eclipse II is, "Just like a normal keyboard.. so whatever you can do with a normal keyboard." I asked them to verify this, and after about a 10 minute wait, they came back and said the same thing and gave me their tech support number, who also told me the same thing.

I realize a few people have said that g15 offers 6 keys at a time, but that was an official response from their tech support line... I dunno...

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I don't know about the person you spoke to but I've never had any issues with my G15 and keys not responding and I've played lots of MMO's on it ranging from WoW, Vanguard, LoTR and countless first person shooters. But at any rate I was watching a 3DGamer man video review and the Ideazon Zboards can do 7 keystrokes. You can check it out HERE if you like.

Heh I think it's funny that your buying a keyboard for a dying game.

It might be a dying game but it could go on for years. Look at EQ it's been around since the dawn of mmo's and it's still going strong and making expansions and adding new content.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Yeah, at first when I saw the zboard, I thought you had to use that weird pad, but it actually comes w/a normal keyboard.

As for AC being a dying game, it's been around since 1999 and it's growing again (albeit growing is only about 400-500 ppl on average, but it's growing nonetheless). AC2 actually came out, and was already shut down.. so AC1 has already outlived it's "children" so to speak.

It's still the best pvp of any MMO out there. I'm not saying that because I'm an AC fanboy... I'd LOVE to find a new game.. but the PvP in every other game blows ass compared to AC.

Games I've tried:
lineage II
WoW
Shadowbane
FFXI (was a beta tester)
Dark and Light (wasn't that bad, but at the time didn't have the money for it)
LOTR (WoW w/some of the more common plugins included in the interface)
DDO
guildwars

There's nothing in any of those games that can touch on AC's pvp and/or politics.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Yeah, at first when I saw the zboard, I thought you had to use that weird pad, but it actually comes w/a normal keyboard.

As for AC being a dying game, it's been around since 1999 and it's growing again (albeit growing is only about 400-500 ppl on average, but it's growing nonetheless). AC2 actually came out, and was already shut down.. so AC1 has already outlived it's "children" so to speak.

It's still the best pvp of any MMO out there. I'm not saying that because I'm an AC fanboy... I'd LOVE to find a new game.. but the PvP in every other game blows ass compared to AC.

Games I've tried:
lineage II
WoW
Shadowbane
FFXI (was a beta tester)
Dark and Light (wasn't that bad, but at the time didn't have the money for it)
LOTR (WoW w/some of the more common plugins included in the interface)
DDO
guildwars

There's nothing in any of those games that can touch on AC's pvp and/or politics.

Completely agree with LOTR felt the exact same way when I played it. Try Vanguard out it's PVP is pretty good. The only reason I'm not playing that anymore is cause they opened too many servers at start so the population is so thin it's hard to find groups for anything. Not to mention I just had a baby girl and she takes up alot of my free time.

Well, either way good luck on your quest to find your keyboard.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Yeah.. my gf is about to pop one out in june.. so we'll see how that goes. That and I'm going to start up some MMA classes..

Hmm.. on second thought, I might not have any time at all for gaming :(

TRENDING THREADS