TV stand for SONY KDF-60XS955

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 15, 2004 8:34:33 PM

I recently ordered a KDF-60XS955 from SONY. It is due to arive any day
now but I still dont yet have a stand for it.
The stand from SONY for this TV costs about $800 and I am not willing
to pay this much for it.
One option I am considering is the stand from the following link.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat0...
I know this stand is for up to 50" tvs while my tv is a 60" but the
base of the TV is smaller then the stand and the stand is supposed to
support up to 200lb tvs, and the tv I am getting is 170lb. Any reasons
why this won't work?

ANy sugestions about a stand to use for this?

Thank you.
Cori Stepan.

More about : stand sony kdf 60xs955

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 7:26:29 PM

We have our 60XS955 sitting on a Sony SU-60HD stand that we had originally
purchased from Ultimate Electronics as part of a negotiated deal for a
floor-model Sony HD, last year's model, that we later returned -- but kept
the stand. Cost $400, down from $600 floor price. The 955 sits on it just
fine. The points here are that there is a room to negotiate for price on a
stand from a retail outlet, if you want to try that, and last year's model
stand will do.

The base of the 955 is about 38" wide by about 18" deep, so any stand that
will take that will work for you. The only advantage of the Sony stand is
that it has a little belt in the back that clicks into the back of the TV,
to hold it down. The SU-60HD stand had a couple of little plastic knobs on
it, apparently to fit into indentations on the TV it was made for, but I
just took those off since they don't fit anything on the 955.

mack
austin

"Cori Stepan" <coristepan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I recently ordered a KDF-60XS955 from SONY. It is due to arive any day
> now but I still dont yet have a stand for it.
> The stand from SONY for this TV costs about $800 and I am not willing
> to pay this much for it.
> One option I am considering is the stand from the following link.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat0...
> I know this stand is for up to 50" tvs while my tv is a 60" but the
> base of the TV is smaller then the stand and the stand is supposed to
> support up to 200lb tvs, and the tv I am getting is 170lb. Any reasons
> why this won't work?
>
> ANy sugestions about a stand to use for this?
>
> Thank you.
> Cori Stepan.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 9:55:01 PM

"Cori Stepan" <coristepan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> ANy sugestions about a stand to use for this?

We just got a KDF55FW655 delivered.

I had them put in on our old coffee table. It's the perfect
size and is very sturdy, as we often used to sit on it.
It also has a place in the middle for a cable box, DVD,
and VCR.

Look around for an inexpensive coffee table that's not made out
of particle board, and it will probably be strong enough
to hold your tv.
Don
November 17, 2004 2:56:30 AM

I'm also looking around for a suitable stand (I haven't bought the TV yet, I
want to make sure I have someplace to put it first). My taste runs more toward
something that looks like furniture. I took a look at this stand from IKEA:

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produ...*10174

It's only $99 but the shipping costs would have put the final price tag at over
$200. I ultimately decided that it's a little too close to the floor for me (15
3/4"), but even with the shipping charges it's the cheapest wood stand I've
found that will accomadate a 50" widescreen TV.

I'm also looking at this stand from Bush:

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=B...

It's a little more expensive at $355 with free shipping, but I think it looks
nicer and it's higher off the floor (23 5/8"). Also, I think this one comes
preassembled whereas the $99 one is a put-it-together yourself package.

I'd be interested if anybody knows of any other relatively inexpensive wood
stands for widescreen TVs.

StevenA

P.S. One suggestion I got from a salesman when I told him I didn't want to
spend a lot on a stand was to use cinder blocks and wood planks.

coristepan@yahoo.com (Cori Stepan) wrote:

>I recently ordered a KDF-60XS955 from SONY. It is due to arive any day
>now but I still dont yet have a stand for it.
> The stand from SONY for this TV costs about $800 and I am not willing
>to pay this much for it.
> One option I am considering is the stand from the following link.
>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat0...
> I know this stand is for up to 50" tvs while my tv is a 60" but the
>base of the TV is smaller then the stand and the stand is supposed to
>support up to 200lb tvs, and the tv I am getting is 170lb. Any reasons
>why this won't work?
>
> ANy sugestions about a stand to use for this?
>
> Thank you.
> Cori Stepan.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 1:31:34 PM

satran.NOSPAM@NOSPAM.rapidsys.moc (StevenA) wrote in message news:<419b90c6.261617235@rsnews.rapidsys.com>...
> I'm also looking around for a suitable stand (I haven't bought the TV yet, I
> want to make sure I have someplace to put it first). My taste runs more toward
> something that looks like furniture. I took a look at this stand from IKEA:
>
> http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produ...*10174
>
> It's only $99 but the shipping costs would have put the final price tag at over
> $200. I ultimately decided that it's a little too close to the floor for me (15
> 3/4"), but even with the shipping charges it's the cheapest wood stand I've
> found that will accomadate a 50" widescreen TV.
>
> I'm also looking at this stand from Bush:
>
> http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=B...
>
> It's a little more expensive at $355 with free shipping, but I think it looks
> nicer and it's higher off the floor (23 5/8"). Also, I think this one comes
> preassembled whereas the $99 one is a put-it-together yourself package.
>
> I'd be interested if anybody knows of any other relatively inexpensive wood
> stands for widescreen TVs.
>
> StevenA

I bought the Bush stand for my 50" Sony LCD Rear Projection that we
picked up last Friday. I assure you, you DO need to put it together
and it takes a LONG time. (there's gluing involved....plus there were
some errors in the instructions AND we had some pieces break.)
However, it's a nice stand for the price and Circuit City gave us the
pieces that we needed out of another one that they had in stock. I
was able to pick it up at Circuit City. The current price on the web
is $239.99 and you can pick it up for free instore. I did go to Home
Depot and bought new knobs for it. The ones that were on it were a
little lame... :)

We were able to get rid of the stereo cabinet since all of our
components fit nicely in the cabinet. Very clean look.

Here's a link to the CC webpage:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Bush-Plasma-DLP-TV-Conso...

Joanne M.
(this email doesn't work.....)
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 6:52:03 PM

I bought the 70"XBR, and bought the Bush stand that it sits on in the
Best Buy store here in MD. The description doesn't indicate that it
is suitable, but it looked good in the store, and it looks good under
my TV.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=107762882192...

On 15 Nov 2004 17:34:33 -0800, coristepan@yahoo.com (Cori Stepan)
wrote:

>I recently ordered a KDF-60XS955 from SONY. It is due to arive any day
>now but I still dont yet have a stand for it.
> The stand from SONY for this TV costs about $800 and I am not willing
>to pay this much for it.
> One option I am considering is the stand from the following link.
>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat0...
> I know this stand is for up to 50" tvs while my tv is a 60" but the
>base of the TV is smaller then the stand and the stand is supposed to
>support up to 200lb tvs, and the tv I am getting is 170lb. Any reasons
>why this won't work?
>
> ANy sugestions about a stand to use for this?
>
> Thank you.
> Cori Stepan.
November 21, 2004 6:03:36 PM

Cori Stepan wrote:
> I recently ordered a KDF-60XS955 from SONY. It is due to arive any day
> now but I still dont yet have a stand for it.
> The stand from SONY for this TV costs about $800 and I am not willing
> to pay this much for it.
> One option I am considering is the stand from the following link.
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat0...
> I know this stand is for up to 50" tvs while my tv is a 60" but the
> base of the TV is smaller then the stand and the stand is supposed to
> support up to 200lb tvs, and the tv I am getting is 170lb. Any reasons
> why this won't work?
>
> ANy sugestions about a stand to use for this?
>
> Thank you.
> Cori Stepan.
I agree the sony stand is really expensive, but it is also really nice.
Only the top is wood, with alumn. legs at the front and the brushed
alumn cover at the top. It also includes a strap designed for the sony
tvs to keep it from tipping. The glass shelves are top notch. I am not
sorry I bought it.

Good luck
Terry
December 21, 2004 12:26:36 AM

Mack, as we discussed in another thread, I have a 60" Sony Grand Wega
XS LCD set (KDF-60XS955) on its way. Now I'm looking for a stand.

Looks like I can get an unbelievably GREAT deal on a 60" Sony XBR stand
(SONY SU-GW3 60" OR 70" XBR GRAND WEGA STAND). Think this will work
okay for my TV? My only concern is the indention for the base of the
set. I'm sure there's a slight difference between the XBR and XS base.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 5:41:54 PM

"Sean" <seanmichael@aol.com> wrote in message
> Mack, as we discussed in another thread, I have a 60" Sony Grand Wega
> XS LCD set (KDF-60XS955) on its way. Now I'm looking for a stand.
>
> Looks like I can get an unbelievably GREAT deal on a 60" Sony XBR stand
> (SONY SU-GW3 60" OR 70" XBR GRAND WEGA STAND). Think this will work
> okay for my TV? My only concern is the indention for the base of the
> set. I'm sure there's a slight difference between the XBR and XS base.

I am using a Sony SU-60HD/5 stand, which was made for an older model 60"
RPTV. The indentations on the stand fit protrusions on the bottom of that
older model set. But the stand indentations are in two little plastic pieces
that stick up above the surface so that the TV set protrusions don't have to
go below the horizontal flat bottom of the set. You can easily remove them
from the stand, as I did, with a screwdriver. The 955 sits on it just fine
and the stand safety belt clicks into the back of the TV set. The base of
the 955 is about 38" wide by 18" deep, so any flat-top stand larger than
that will work.

So, I think your TV will probably sit on that stand just fine.

mack
austin
December 23, 2004 11:47:14 AM

Thanks again, Mack. I got the stand at a firesale price, so I thought
it was worth a shot. Now I just need to find a way to ship it! ;-)

I'll post results and impressions once all my equipment arrives. The
Sony "upscaling" DVD player came yesterday. Still waiting on the 60"
XS...

Sean
Birmingham
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 5:45:15 PM

> Thanks again, Mack. I got the stand at a firesale price, so I thought
> it was worth a shot. Now I just need to find a way to ship it! ;-)
>
> I'll post results and impressions once all my equipment arrives. The
> Sony "upscaling" DVD player came yesterday. Still waiting on the 60"
> XS...

Sean,
I took the Sony issued "correct" stand. It is sturdy and locks the set
in well. As to the XS, well, what can I say but SWEET!
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 6:19:08 PM

Sean, did you get this stand? I'm trying to get this stand but most
places sell it for about $799. Circuit city got rid of theirs for
about $500 a couple of months ago. I would appreciate if you could
tell me where you got the stand.

Thanks,

Raj

--
rajanpad, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Anonymous

Don't worry about the projections on the base fitting into the holes in the
bottom of the set. You can take those plastic projections off with a
screwdriver and the TV will sit flat, right on there, no problem. Any Sony
stand has straps so that it straps down at the back; it's not going
anywhere. The stand we have for our KDF-60XS955 was made for a 2003 model
60" Sony, not this one and it works perfectly. Somebody suggested that a
low coffee table makes a great stand for this kind of TV. Just take the
measurements of the bottom of your TV and get the best deal you can find.
It doesn't have to be the stand especially made for this set.

mack
austin

"rajanpad" <rajanpad.1m3wnz@satelliteguys.org> wrote in message

> Sean, did you get this stand? I'm trying to get this stand but most
> places sell it for about $799. Circuit city got rid of theirs for
> about $500 a couple of months ago. I would appreciate if you could
> tell me where you got the stand.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Raj
>
> Sean Wrote:
>> Mack, as we discussed in another thread, I have a 60" Sony Grand Wega
>> XS LCD set (KDF-60XS955) on its way. Now I'm looking for a stand.
>>
>> Looks like I can get an unbelievably GREAT deal on a 60" Sony XBR
>> stand
>> (SONY SU-GW3 60" OR 70" XBR GRAND WEGA STAND). Think this will work
>> okay for my TV? My only concern is the indention for the base of the
>> set. I'm sure there's a slight difference between the XBR and XS base.
>

> --
> rajanpad, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US

April 7, 2011 6:25:37 PM

Quote:

I recently ordered a KDF-60XS955 from SONY. It is due to arive any day
now but I still dont yet have a stand for it.
The stand from SONY for this TV costs about $800 and I am not willing
to pay this much for it.
One option I am considering is the stand from the following link.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat0...
I know this stand is for up to 50" tvs while my tv is a 60" but the
base of the TV is smaller then the stand and the stand is supposed to
support up to 200lb tvs, and the tv I am getting is 170lb. Any reasons
why this won't work?

ANy sugestions about a stand to use for this?

Thank you.
Cori Stepan.

HI CORI I READ YOUR COMMENT ON HERE I HAVE THE SAME MODEL TV AND THE STAND THAT GOES WITH IT IF U ARE NOT WILLING TO PAY 800 FOR THE STAND AT SONY I WILL SELL IT TO U FOR A LOWER PRICE I HAVE PICS OF IT AND IF U R INTERESTED E-MAIL ME AT JRICKY2318@GMAIL.COM
April 7, 2011 6:37:44 PM

Quote:

I recently ordered a KDF-60XS955 from SONY. It is due to arive any day
now but I still dont yet have a stand for it.
The stand from SONY for this TV costs about $800 and I am not willing
to pay this much for it.
One option I am considering is the stand from the following link.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat0...
I know this stand is for up to 50" tvs while my tv is a 60" but the
base of the TV is smaller then the stand and the stand is supposed to
support up to 200lb tvs, and the tv I am getting is 170lb. Any reasons
why this won't work?

ANy sugestions about a stand to use for this?

Thank you.
Cori Stepan.

HI CORI I'M RICKY I HAVE THE SAME MODEL TV AND ALSO THE TV STAND THAT GOES WITH IT I'M TRYNA GET RID OF BOTH BUT IF U WANT I WILL SELL U THE STAND FOR A REASONABLE PRICE IT'S BETTER THAN 800 DOLLARS AT SONY IF U R INTERESTED EMAIL ME JRICKY2318@GMAIL.COM
April 8, 2011 3:50:25 AM

I am selling my tv stand its for model tv KDF-60XS955 SONY GRAND WEGA 60 INCH
September 27, 2012 11:52:24 AM

Most common types of stands are the basic tv stands and the entertainment center. However, you may also choose not to get a stand at all and mount your television instead.
!