Sign in with
Your question

Best brand for hard disks ? help needed.

Last response: in Storage
April 19, 2007 11:10:02 PM

choices are Western Digital, Seagate and Samsung... which one is the best ? and also, should i go SATA or Ultra ATA / EIDE ?

thanks alot !
April 20, 2007 12:47:09 PM

I have used WD for about 5 years, then switched over to Seagate about 3 years ago. I went through 3 WD HD's in as many years, so I eventually got feed up with it, switched over to seagate, and now I have 5 seagate HD's in my comp. I personally think Seagate is the best, especially with the 5 year warranty on the drives. I never had a seagate die on me, but that could just be luck. There 7200.10 Hd's are pretty fast too.

Sata is becoming the new standard, so if you have a sata port on your motherboard, get a sata drive.
Related resources
April 20, 2007 1:15:23 PM

Seagate is the better manufacturer in my opinion.
April 20, 2007 1:16:16 PM

I prefer WD.

I'm not sure you're going to learn anything from your question other than opinions.
April 20, 2007 3:30:58 PM

Recently, I bought 2 x Seagate ST3500630A's (PATA) but before that 2 x WD2500KS's (SATA300). Both perform flawlessly in my NAS.
April 21, 2007 7:11:44 AM

alright ! ill go with seagate then.... thanks alot guys !
April 21, 2007 8:02:09 AM

I've never had any trouble with maxtor drives (old 4.3's still work :p )

I just bought my first seagate drive yesterday though.
500gb of goodness :D 
April 21, 2007 8:44:01 AM

In my time I have had more Seagates go out on me than all other drives I have had.

I used to buy IBM/Hitachi but they went to a one year and back to a three year warranty, during that transition SeaGate went to five years on their warranty.

WD nope

Maxtor not a fan

Seagate five year warranty I'm sold.

Now if Hitachi went five year, I would go back.
April 21, 2007 9:55:00 AM

I would to get WD and Seagate. Both has 5 years warranty. You should get SATA if your motherboard support SATA.
April 21, 2007 10:02:04 AM

Quote:
choices are Western Digital, Seagate and Samsung... which one is the best ? and also, should i go SATA or Ultra ATA / EIDE ?

thanks alot !

Doesn't make any difference which make - people will have stories of this or that manufacturer failing more often, but it is all down to personal experience.

You can always look at the warranty as trf_skyline says.

If you're looking for speed, the fastest 7200 drives out right now are the Seagate 7200.10s and the Hitachi 1TB drives.

Oh, and get SATA - nicer cable management, less hassle to set up (no master / slave) and Ultra ATA is on its way out anyway.
April 21, 2007 1:54:55 PM

I'm in the same situation. Need to decide what brand of hard disk to buy for my new system but it's a very subjective topic.

Current local trends tend to favour the Hitachi(IBM) and Seagate models.

I am currently using two Maxtor 120 GB HDD and have had no problems with them for 5 years.

I'm looking to purchase a 320GB SATA II w/ 16MB cache @ 7200 rpm for the new system but I am still undecided between Seagate and Western Digital.

The market is so dynamic it's hard to keep up with all the technology and trends. Also, brand popular in North America maybe not be so in other parts of the world.

At the end of the day, you have to make the choice and bite the bullet as there are very little differences between equivalent models.
April 21, 2007 9:21:56 PM

IMHO, the brand doesn't matter that much. In over 20 years I've seen every brand of drive fail for many reasons. The only thing that makes a difference is the warranty. If the warranty is only 1 year, there's something lower quality in the drive, because even the manufacturer won't trust it for longer than a year.

You have to remember why drives can die/crash:
1) Manufacturing defect. Drives are made in lots/groups. A single lot/group can be stellar performers, and the next and be a stinking pile of manure. You'll never know.
2) Shipping. Drives are of course shipped/transported. If they are not properly packed or are subjected to large amounts of physical trauma, they will fail prematurely.
3) Hardware failure. Power supplies can fail and power spikes can roast hardware. This is a fact of life ... but it still sucks, and it's not the drives fault.

So it comes down to :
a) Reputable company (a "Harry's house of parts" drive, is probably not as good as as WD, IBM, Hitachi, Maxtor, Seagate)
b) Good warranty. When a drive fails it is nice to get it replaced without having to purchase a new one. You've already lost your data, why should you have to get kicked again to replace it.
c) Reasonable price. Too high a price for anything just sucks.

Bill
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
April 21, 2007 9:31:05 PM

It all boils down to personal experience and preference. In the past 8 years I had three Maxtor drives, one Hitachi and one Seagate drive fail. The Seagate drive failed in less than three months.

My most reliable and longest used drive is my IBM Deskstar 75GXP 60GB hard drive that I purchased back in 2000. Sadly, I will be retiring it very soon because of it's age and small capacity.
April 21, 2007 9:52:50 PM

Heard the new Samsung is very fast and quiet
April 21, 2007 9:55:55 PM

Seagate period. Get the .10 (perpendicular recording, if you can). WD seem to always get corrupt in my experience. Seagate, solid as a rock...
April 21, 2007 9:57:46 PM

Seagate, Western Digital, and Hitachi are all top-tier hard drives. It is hard to go wrong with any of those three. All three are guaranteed to work for differing amounts of time, but all are very close in quality. I prefer seagate and western digital, BUT Hitachi has the hands down best hard drive on the market right now with their 1 TB drive.

Read some reviews and see which meets your needs the best.

Good luck. :wink:
April 21, 2007 10:03:28 PM

true, any of those brands are top notch

personally I've only used WD, but I've always had good luck with them.
!