Question about Safe Mode

April 22, 2005 9:21:29 PM

I bought a new pc yesterday and I am unable to enter safe mode. My New
machine is an Emachines 5260. On my previous PC all I did was press F8 but
this doesn't work. I have also tried pressing F1,F10 & ESC. I would
appreciate any help.

More about : question safe mode

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 9:21:30 PM

Use start>run>msconfig and in boot.ini section click on safeboot.

Frank

"Mark" <me@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new pc yesterday and I am unable to enter safe mode. My New
> machine is an Emachines 5260. On my previous PC all I did was press F8 but
> this doesn't work. I have also tried pressing F1,F10 & ESC. I would
> appreciate any help.
April 22, 2005 11:48:49 PM

"FrankV" <FrankV@anonymous.address> wrote in

> Use start>run>msconfig and in boot.ini section click on safeboot.
>
> Frank
>
> Although this worked it continually boots into safe mode now. I have had
to unclick the safeboot option so that I can get back to normal mode. Any
more suggestions?
April 22, 2005 11:48:50 PM

> "FrankV" <FrankV@anonymous.address> wrote in
>
>> Use start>run>msconfig and in boot.ini section click on safeboot.
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> Although this worked it continually boots into safe mode now. I have had
> to unclick the safeboot option so that I can get back to normal mode. Any
> more suggestions?

Of course you have to uncheck the Safeboot option to prevent the computer
from booting in safe mode. Not sure why you'd expect otherwise.

F8 is still the correct method to enter safemode at boot. Either you're
missing the timing or you're booting with a USB keyboard connected and the
computer either doesn't support USB before the OS loads or the "legacy" USB
support setting is wrong in the BIOS. If the later is the case you'll have
to hook up a PS/2 keyboard to get into the BIOS to change the setting.

That said one wonders why you have to enter safe mode so frequently that
this is an issue?

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 11:48:50 PM

When booting to safe mode, you need to tap F8 and keep tapping it until the
menu appears, then choose safe mode and press enter.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Mark" <me@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> "FrankV" <FrankV@anonymous.address> wrote in
>
>> Use start>run>msconfig and in boot.ini section click on safeboot.
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> Although this worked it continually boots into safe mode now. I have had
> to unclick the safeboot option so that I can get back to normal mode. Any
> more suggestions?
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 12:54:33 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:21:29 GMT, Mark wrote:

> I bought a new pc yesterday and I am unable to enter safe mode. My New
> machine is an Emachines 5260. On my previous PC all I did was press F8 but
> this doesn't work. I have also tried pressing F1,F10 & ESC. I would
> appreciate any help.

If you have one of those keyboards with the F-Lock feature, hold that key
down while tapping F8.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User